defeating diabetes

Cancer, Diabetes, Osteoporosis etc.
martianwarrior
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

defeating diabetes

Post by martianwarrior »

my father has had diabetes for about 10-15 years now, i'm not sure exactly off the top of my head. it was no doubt because of his weight problem which no doubt came from over eating and eating ALL the wrong foods. i believe his weight right now is somewhere between 320-370. i know it fluctuates due to water retention, activity level, different foods he eats etc.

i know he's going to laugh in my face when i present the wai diet to him. he's a hot shot know it all and to be quite honest i don't like him, but i want him to be healthy and i hate watching anyone suffer, even him... :roll:

i know the 'Food Causing Diabetes' article from waisays.com is good ammo. i was wondering if there are certain parts of it, or other facts not in the article, i should highlight in order to really drive the message home.

has anyone else had to confront a fat stubborn bull that they actually kind of care about, trying to get them to try this way of eating and/or to cure diabetes in particular?

any support, stories to share or tips are welcome and appreciated!
"the purpose is not to disengage from the physical universe. the purpose is to manifest the essence of what you are so completely that you are an aspect of the creation of the physical universe."
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I don't want to curb your enthusiasm, but convincing people never works unless they're ready/open to be convinced. Some, maybe even most, people just don't want to be helped/get rid of their problem.
Second, the Wai diet isn't a miracle cure, so if things are beyond recovery, they won't come back.

All that aside, you could explain the insulin mechanism, why insulin peaks are caused by huge meals (with lots of complex carbs), and why dietary fat is important.
For most people it's very difficult to accept they're eating addictive substances (heroin and cocaine come from plants, but that we eat anything addictive is impossible! ;)), but you could try to explain about opioid peptides (wheat, milk/cheese...why is pizza so popular?)

One attractive thing is: no (extra) exercise needed! ;)

Good luck!
martianwarrior

Post by martianwarrior »

trust me, i know that people can only be helped if they want to be helped and a lot of people, as sick as it seems, are attached to being a victim, like people feeling sorry for them, just like being sick and tragic. americans in general have been taught to love pain more than most i believe. i've been there myself and had to pull myself out. unfortunately for him, i'm not wearing a white coat, so that makes him trust me less. but he knows that i know more about nutrition than his doctor, or the average for that matter. most doctors don't spend a single minute on nutrition in their schooling. sad.

i'm not really going to try to convince him... i'll try doing it more casually, just presenting facts. i don't want it to seem like i've been plotting and planning, which i haven't and don't need to. it's all right there on the site ready for me to use it.

i know wai is not a miracle cure, but it would definitely help to correct the problem if he isn't too far down the road like you said. i think no exercise required might sweeten the deal because he can barely walk, both of his knees are weak and he gets a lot of pain in them.

i've tried to have this talk with him several times but i didn't have the correct method to present before. this really seems to be the only natural solution that will work, so this is going to be my last attempt. if it doesn't work and he starts trying to confuse me and skirt around the issues like he always does then i'll just give him the printouts of the articles i use and the website. maybe curiosity will peak his interest, but he'll most likely find some wrong with it or just think i'm trying to kill him or something crazy.

here i go again, one more time.

thanks
"the purpose is not to disengage from the physical universe. the purpose is to manifest the essence of what you are so completely that you are an aspect of the creation of the physical universe."
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

I think that a step by step approach might work best.
I also think that you should leave the Wai-diet out, all together, because its too radical.
Just present him with some facts that just make sense, as most people are easily convinced by stuff 'that makes good sense'.

There is a way to lose weight relatively easily, without having to change to different foods, and at the same time stop burdening his insulin system; No more big meals ever, just small meals.
That way he doesnt burden the insulin system as much, and at the same time much less fat will get stored.
Maybe, maybe, he will lose weight and get encouraged by it...
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

I think that for people on the Standard American Diet, Liquid Omega 3 is extremely beneficial.

If there was a movie with accurate health info I think that would also be a good way to give him info; in my experience people don't like reading.
martianwarrior

Post by martianwarrior »

well, my dad has worse issues than his weight and diet. he's just a downright dishonest person, mostly with himself. it's sad. there isn't much left i can do for him. i've done all i can, shown him everything and given him every reason to turn his life around. he knows that at 61 years of age, he is living the days of his last chance to change. the fact is, he gave up a long time ago and it's up to him now whether or not he will continue to suffer.

pain is inevitable, suffering is optional. unfortunately, many people find comfort in their suffering and even become addicted to it.
woopss

Re: defeating diabetes

Post by woopss »

What are the risks of glucosamine causing diabetes, especially with the long term use 4 arthritis? I have just been warned off this product by my Dr due to the concerns of causing diabetes. He has suggested shark cartlidge and high dosage of fish oil instead...... Well, ... I'm confused. Does anyone know more about a possible link between taking glucosamine etc for arthuritis and an increase in the aging population of diabetics ? Is there a connection ?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

woopss wrote:What are the risks of glucosamine causing diabetes
It seems that the intake of glucosamine has "no effect on fasting blood glucose levels, glucose metabolism,
or insulin sensitivity at any oral dose level in healthy subjects, individuals with diabetes, or those with impaired glucose tolerance".

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21218504
"However, no definitive long-term studies of glucosamine use for individuals with pre-diabetes are available".

The problem is that in type-2 diabetes (not inherited), the mass of pancreatic β-cells has decreased,
and glucosamine intake does increase death rate of those β-cells, which will eventually decrease their mass as you get older.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20923823
So, logically, long term glucosamine use may eventually cause diabetes, indeed.

Glucosamine is also a byproduct of fermentation of fiber in grains (wheat, corn).
woopss

Diabetes

Post by woopss »

What sould a diabetes 1 person eat if there blood surgar level is too low? My brother has diabetes 1 and he tells me sugar will help him get his sugar level back up when it is too low. The problem is he also has some liver damage. I told him I think fruit juice may be better than cake and chocolate bars.So what should he take when his blood sugar level is too low and would honey be a good thing for him.
RRM
Administrator

Re: Diabetes

Post by RRM »

woopss wrote:What sould a diabetes 1 person eat if there blood surgar level is too low?
something containing sugar.
My brother has diabetes 1 and he tells me sugar will help him get his sugar level back up when it is too low.
Yes, the blood sugar is glucose, so that additional glucose will help.
(sugar = sucrose = glucose + fructose)
The problem is he also has some liver damage.
What kind of liver damage exactly?
Is there some capacity that has been diminished now?
If so, which one?
what should he take when his blood sugar level is too low and would honey be a good thing for him.
Honey is more likely to give him acid reflux or similar.
Fruit juices are most effective, particularly when sugar (and a few drops of oil) is added.
dash21

Post by dash21 »

How long do I wait to eat, in order to reset my system, in order to correct insulin resistance?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

That depends on how full your spare liver glycogen depot is. The moment your liver glycogen is empty, that is when the blood sugar goes down, evoking autophagy. That is when the body 'knows' that liver glycogen is empty (=zero). At this point it is beyond any doubt that any incoming sugars should all get stored as liver-glycogen; thus the insulin needs to be fully responsive. Thus, from this point on, calibration of the insulin system commences.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Then the question is: how will I know?
It's safe to say that if you don't ingest any energy whatsoever after waking up (no breakfast, no coffee, tea, juice etc), it takes about 8 hours of fasting to empty your liver glycogen.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Once your liver glycogen is empty, your blood sugar will initially go down. Thus you may feel weak, and light-headed. You may even start to sweat and feel like fainting. That doesn't last long; only seconds to minutes. Once the autophagy has kicked in, you get energy from that.