red eyes

Cancer, Diabetes, Osteoporosis etc.
Kasper
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

red eyes

Post by Kasper »

The last time, I've very dry and red eyes in the morning.
Is there any wai food that helps against this ?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Do you have (non-emotional) tears running down your cheeks occasionally?
Is the air in your bedroom and/or your office dry?
If so, you can use a hydrating device.
Kasper

Post by Kasper »

RRM wrote:Do you have (non-emotional) tears running down your cheeks occasionally?
Yes, I have occassionally
Is the air in your bedroom and/or your office dry?
If so, you can use a hydrating device.
It is 37% humidiy now. What is a hydrating device ? Can I use a water boiler ?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

37% is dry. Yeah a water boiler works.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Kasper wrote:
RRM wrote:Do you have (non-emotional) tears running down your cheeks occasionally?
Yes, I have occassionally
Thats an overreaction to when the eye isnt getting enough lubrication.
It means that your eyes are really dry indeed, causing the redness.
It is 37% humidiy now. What is a hydrating device ? Can I use a water boiler ?
Air conditioners decrease humidity.
37% is a bit on the low side. You first might up that to 50 or 60% to find out whether this solves it for you.
If not, we may consider other options.
A kitchen water boiler (for making tea, for example) will temporarily increase humidity,
but the humidity needs to remain a bit higher constantly.
You can increase the humidity just a little bit (2 to 5%) by placing a steal pot filled with water in front of or on your heater.
What really works is a humidifier. The cheapest one costs about 25 euro.
gianni

Post by gianni »

If you are in an area with an air conditioner, adding humidity is just undoing what the air conditioner is doing. If you just make the room warmer by a few degrees, it won't be so dry.

But there is a physical reason for dry, red eyes. According to Chinese medicine, dry red eyes means liver heat.

Betsy
Mr. PC

Re:

Post by Mr. PC »

gianni wrote:If you are in an area with an air conditioner, adding humidity is just undoing what the air conditioner is doing. If you just make the room warmer by a few degrees, it won't be so dry.

But there is a physical reason for dry, red eyes. According to Chinese medicine, dry red eyes means liver heat.

Betsy
Sorry, this doesn't seem to plausible to me. Could anyone verify or discount this? I take 'natural tear' eye drops which are suppose to replace tears for people with dry eyes, btw. They work decently but aren't a total fix.
Oscar
Administrator

Re: red eyes

Post by Oscar »

Perhaps practicing yawning helps?
Kasper

Post by Kasper »

Well I find out that being less on the PC, spending more time outside, helped me.
Buying hydrating device helped me a bit, but strange enough if I'm some days not on the PC I don't have any problems at all.

I''m a little bit addicted to Piano Hero, so at the moment I've some red eyes... But who cares ?

I do own piano hero 8)
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

Oscar wrote:Perhaps practicing yawning helps?
The kind of tears that you cry from emotion are not the same ones which lubricate your eyes. Someone could cry all the time but still have dry eyes. Well actually I wonder if crying all the time would even give someone dry eyes, I guess an eye doctor wouldn't necessarily consider that as a cause.

I'd assume the tears you get from yawning would be the same and emotion/crying tears, but I don't know.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Where does the lubrication come from then?
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

I'm really just taking the word of my eye doctor, but a google search on tears go me this from wikipedia

Basal tears In healthy mammalian eyes, the cornea is continually kept wet and nourished by basal tears. They lubricate the eye, and help to keep it clear of dust. Tear fluid contains water, mucin, lipids, lysozyme, lactoferrin, lipocalin, lacritin, immunoglobulins, glucose, urea, sodium, and potassium. Some of the substances in lacrimal fluid (such as lysozyme) fight against bacterial infection as a part of the immune system. Lysozyme does this by dissolving the outer coating of certain bacteria. It is a typical body fluid with a salt content similar to blood plasma. Usually, in a 24-hour period, 0.75 to 1.1 grams (0.03-0.04 ounce avoirdupois) of tears are secreted; this rate slows with age.

Crying or weeping (psychic tears) The third category, generally referred to as crying or weeping, is increased lacrimation due to strong emotional stress, suffering, mourning, or physical pain. This practice is not restricted to negative emotions; many people cry when extremely happy. In humans, emotional tears can be accompanied by reddening of the face and sobbing—cough-like, convulsive breathing, sometimes involving spasms of the whole upper body. Tears brought about by emotions have a different chemical make up than those for lubrication; emotional tears contain more of the protein-based hormones prolactin, adrenocorticotropic hormone, and leucine enkephalin (a natural painkiller) than basal or reflex tears. The limbic system is involved in production of basic emotional drives, such as anger, fear, etc. The limbic system, specifically the hypothalamus, also has a degree of control over the autonomic system. The parasympathetic branch of the autonomic system controls the lacrimal glands via the neurotransmitter acetylcholine through both the nicotinic and muscarinic receptors. When these receptors are activated, the lacrimal gland is stimulated to produce tears.[3]
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

So basically I think tears, whether basal or emotional, are produced by the tear glands and come out through the tear ducts. What differs in the emotional tears is the composition, induced by the emotional reaction. I would suggest that yawning would be more like the basal tears then.
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

Oh maybe. I don't understand it well enough to know. Is there any way to know for sure? If so that would really help me as well. I know that my eyes are often watery but the doctor said those tears wouldn't help. Sometimes it's hard to know whether they're emotional or not.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I guess you can just start to experiment with it.