ear wax

Cancer, Diabetes, Osteoporosis etc.
Mr. PC
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

ear wax

Post by Mr. PC »

About a month ago I had a cold, and my left ear got plugged with wax (I'm assuming it's wax, that's what it feels like). The cold is long gone but whenever I sleep on my left side the left ear gets plugged and I can't hear (well) out of it. Sometimes it'll pop and I can hear again. I was going to get my mom to candle it, since she's been doing it to my brother and sister since we were kids and has done it to me a couple of times, and I felt like it worked well, but I recently read some articles about how candling does nothing, and the article makes sense.

I was thinking of have the doctor wash it out, but I find that to be painful and I'm really cautious with my ears as I'm a musician. Is it best to just wait it out? I've been waiting about a month now and I'm afraid that leaving it to long could result in hearing loss. I guess it wouldn't be something going on the 100% sample diet would help, eh? What about putting drops of Olive Oil in my ear?
panacea

Re: ear wax

Post by panacea »

First of all, good job on asking, many people don't know how harmful most ear cleaning practices are. Q-tips are worthless and sometimes harmful, unless cleaning the outside portions of the ear (in the crevices). For internal ear, you have to be VERY careful!! First of all, if the problem is primarily ear *wax*, (like not trapped water) then you shouldn't worry too much, especially after a cold. I don't know if the popping is from wax or water get someone elses opinion on that. Candling does nothing for wax just relaxes you sometimes. Anyway keep in mind the wax is in the ear to PROTECT IT (from loud sounds) and as the wax pushes outward it carries out dirt and other matter that gets down there, if the ear is irritated, wax production can increase.

The best solution, but you must be VERYYYYYYYYYY careful! is to warm up some olive oil (not hot) and and dropped in the ear (WARNING: ONLY IF THE EAR WAX IS REALLY IMPACTED AND YOU KNOW ITS AN EAR WAX PROBLEM) let it sit for about 10 minutes to soften up the wax, then use a *bulb syringe* to GENTLY suck out the wax. DO NOT insert the tip of the bulb syringe too deep because you DON'T want it sucking on your eardrum.

All in all, best solution is prevention: wai diet 100%.

EDIT: never put any water or things like peroxide that will break down into water in the ear. it can get trapped behind some wax or whatever and then it becomes a warm, moist, sealed off tiny body of water. can you say pathogen breeding ground? trust me you don't want that.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I think the popping has more to do with your Eustachian Tube than with the wax.
I've used ear candles a few times in the past, and they did seem to work.
Going 100% is always the best, but keep in mind that some things can take years to heal (not specifically talking about your ears).
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

I advice to go to the Dr so that he can take a look at it.
Just in case, and so that he can reassure you.
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

Ya, when I search wax before making this thread I got this viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2097&hilit=Eustachian+Tube . I really hope it's not that because someone replied it's incurable. Everything keeps pointing toward me going on the Sample Diet. Hmmm.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

So, what are you waiting for?
Go see a Dr! (to get reassured)
panacea

Post by panacea »

maybe one of us here should become a Dr ;)
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Well, no thx. Learning lots of useless things isn't my priority. ;)
Besides, I did my share as a DDS. ;)
Mr. PC wrote:Everything keeps pointing toward me going on the Sample Diet. Hmmm.
To give yourself the best conditions to heal that would be the best (or on the 100% 'normal' Wai diet). Even then some things can take a long time to heal.
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

So what's the benefit of the Sample as oppose to the 100% normal?

I saw a doctor btw, he looked in my ear for 2 seconds and said it was wax, and to do the mineral oil thing.
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

Oscar wrote:Well, no thx. Learning lots of useless things isn't my priority. ;)
Besides, I did my share as a DDS. ;)
DDS?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Good, so no worries then! :D
Mr. PC wrote:So what's the benefit of the Sample as oppose to the 100% normal?
Nothing. The sample diet is just more restricted regarding protein (for acne).
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

The (Acne) Sample Diet is specifically meant to cure acne. If acne isn't an issue, the normal diet works the same.

DDS = dentist (In the US they use these post-fix acronyms...DDS = Doctor of Dental Surgery)
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

You were a former dentist?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I'm still a dentist, though not a practicing one. ;)
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

So what do you do now? (If you don't mind me asking)

panacea, I put olive oil in my ear today, but I'm kindof nervous to use a syringe to suck the wax out. When I was reading about ear candle I read that anything powerful enough to suck out wax would damage the ear drum. Maybe this is different when it's been softened by olive oil.

Are you sure the water option is no good? What if I put OO in my ear 10 minutes before bed and than slept on my left side for a night?