Addictive substances in foods

Cancer, Diabetes, Osteoporosis etc.
Kasper
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Addictive substances in foods

Post by Kasper »

I want to help an overweighted friend.
Therefore I'm wondering what are all the addictive substances that you know of in regular food ?
I know opiod peptides, and beta-carbolines of course ?
Any more?
RRM
Administrator

Re: Addictive substances

Post by RRM »

And then what?
Do you really think he wants to do such a radical diet?
Kasper

Post by Kasper »

Well I thought maybe, if I can get him from milk and cheese, and get him the whole day on fruits and fruit juices, and than maybe in the evening: "a normal dinner" without wheat products, and some meat/fish which is at least not completely overcooked, than that will at least better than what he is doing now.
djkvan

Post by djkvan »

There are addictive/neuroactive substances in virtually all foods. In the mother's breast (opiods in our human milk). There are opiod peptides in eggs. There are likely opiod peptides in other blood foods too. Sugar consumption results in the release of serotonin. It's all drugs.

(EDIT by RRM) Imported from another thread: (/EDIT)

Recent research has reveiled opioid peptides also in eggs, oats and rice. We don't have structures for these peptides yet.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12769742
I do so like green eggs and ham. Thank you, thank you. Sam I am.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Sure, everything that you eat has an impact on your brain, regarding neurotransmitter activity, but that is not the point.
And yes, all animals (like us) have endorphins (and all kind of hormones and neuroactive molecules) in their blood, but those levels are extremely low.
The level of opioid peptides in wheat gluten is far more substantial.
There is a specific opioid peptide in wheat that is far stronger (per molecule) than morphine, for example.
djkvan wrote:There are opiod peptides in eggs. ...
This is what the summary said about eggs:
PubMed wrote:This paper reviews bioactive peptides, biogenic peptides, opioid peptides, immunostimulating peptides, mineral soluble peptides, antihypertensive peptides and antimicrobial peptides originating from food materials and enzymatic hydrolysis of proteins. Antihypertensive peptides are extensively reviewed and have been divided into angiotensin I-converting enzyme inhibitory peptides and others. These peptides are produced in the enzymatic hydrolysate of treated food materials such as milk, animal and fish meat, maize, wheat, soybeans and egg, and also from microbe-fermented products.
Here not at all is claimed that there are opioid peptides in eggs...
In this text, "These peptides" refers to "Antihypertensive peptides".
Do you have a quote that actually supports your claim?
Kasper wrote:Well I thought maybe, if I can get him from milk and cheese, and get him the whole day on fruits and fruit juices, and than maybe in the evening: "a normal dinner" without wheat products, and some meat/fish which is at least not completely overcooked, than that will at least better than what he is doing now.
Sure, it will be better, but also extremely hard for him.
If he could lose weight this way, he could also lose weight on any other diet, dont you think?
During the daytime he would still constantly get challenged by all kinds of munch foods,
and at night, when having that normal dinner, he probably ends up eating way too much in one meal
(because that is the effect that normal food can have), and having some more later.
abicahsoul

Post by abicahsoul »

I don't want to interfere.. but perhaps it will be nice for him to try some nice fruit with some sugar and OO, to see if he feels good from it (good as in -> satisfied, happy etc..) What i mean is, after having tried ones best to avoid sugar it is quite a revelation to feel satisfied from sugar and fruit. Before I never put sugar on fruit, but now I do it some times when I need more energy, I feel that it is more up to me to decide how much energy I think I am using at the moment, or that day, in relation to how active I am. I mean to give him an option like this could be nice. Provided he is not totally against it. Or that he doesn't hate the Wai things... Give him fruit with some cream..
I would say that this diet in so many ways suits my tastes better than any other diet I tried.
I think the secret is that it contains what I find satisfying and tasty and my body seems to agree. :D
Just a thought. But its a mistake to believe you can change somebody if they don't want to.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

abicahsoul wrote:I don't want to interfere.. but perhaps it will be nice for him to try some nice fruit with some sugar and OO, to see if he feels good from it (good as in -> satisfied, happy etc..) What i mean is, after having tried ones best to avoid sugar it is quite a revelation to feel satisfied from sugar and fruit.
Absolutely!
Before I never put sugar on fruit, but now I do it some times when I need more energy, I feel that it is more up to me to decide how much energy I think I am using at the moment, or that day, in relation to how active I am. I mean to give him an option like this could be nice.
I totally agree.
But then he needs to be sure that this doe not make him gain weight.
And this will only make him not gain weight if he doesnt consume his regular meals as well.
And if he eats a big meal in the evening, he may do the right thing all day, not gaining anything,
but putting on fat every evening, so that he may end up gaining much more than normally.
Give him fruit with some cream..
Sure, but he will still miss out on the sandwiches, cereals or whatever,
so it will still be a struggle for him.
And he may only want to fight that battle if he is sure it makes him lose weight,
which is not a sure thing at all, as his night rituals may ruin it all.
I would say that this diet in so many ways suits my tastes better than any other diet I tried.
Yes, its the way that it makes you feel,
and how closely you are connected to your energy needs.
But its a mistake to believe you can change somebody if they don't want to.
Exactly.
But maybe you can talk to him how things work exactly,
if he doesnt feel uncomfortable talking about it.
Not trying to convince him, but being ready to supply him with some info
IF he desires.
So, you can just try to find out how much he wants to know. He will let you know.
abicahsoul

Post by abicahsoul »

RRM wrote: But then he needs to be sure that this doe not make him gain weight.
And this will only make him not gain weight if he doesnt consume his regular meals as well.
And if he eats a big meal in the evening, he may do the right thing all day, not gaining anything,
but putting on fat every evening, so that he may end up gaining much more than normally.
Yeah, that's a problem. :? I guess one has to make very clear that you can't lose weight on wai without adjusting your eating to energy needs. And that you need patience. But I guess you have to find out if you even like the things you eat on wai. When you feel you like it then it is easier to set new small goals. First of all I think one needs to read the free acne book to get an idea of what is the matter with the 'normal foods' otherwise it is hard to understand why one should stay off it and how it affects you.. :P
djkvan

Post by djkvan »

The peptides in eggs are anti-hypertensive and from, what I can tell through personal experience, analgesic, as eggs clearly irritated my bowels (immune-mediated damage), as evidenced by much mucous production, but produced no pain. In this sense the nature of the biogenic peptide in eggs is indistinguishable from that of an opioid. The fact that they may not have been specifically classified as such is a matter of splitting hairs and likely due insufficient research at this point in time. Did you check the other relevant links to my egg info in my diary?
I do so like green eggs and ham. Thank you, thank you. Sam I am.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

djkvan wrote:
RRM wrote:
djkvan wrote:There are opiod peptides in eggs. ...
Here not at all is claimed that there are opioid peptides in eggs...
In this text, "These peptides" refers to "Antihypertensive peptides".
The peptides in eggs are anti-hypertensive and from, what I can tell through personal experience, analgesic, as eggs clearly irritated my bowels
Opioid peptides are peptides classified according to their chemical structure.
Peptides in eggs have not been classified as such.
You may find this "splitting hairs" as you experience them to have "the nature of an opioid",
but your opinion does not matter in science.
Please stick to the actual facts.
Did you check the other relevant links to my egg info in my diary?
No, I did not.
But if that book contains a reference to any scientific study that supports your claim,
please let us know.