Pesticides from fruit vs toxins from cooked foods

Cancer, Diabetes, Osteoporosis etc.
mario91
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Pesticides from fruit vs toxins from cooked foods

Post by mario91 »

Yesterday I watched a documentary on TV, being the first part about the pesticides they put on fruits and vegetables, and the second part about the chemical additives they put on packed foods.

I have no doubt (and I guess everyone agrees) that the chemical additives of junk/packed foods are completely unnecessary and a serious threat to our health, and that you only win in not consuming any food with those additives.

But about the pesticides they put on fruit - it wasn't anything I didn't know already, but it made me remember it and considering it a bit further - the question is: How bad are they? Do they get to the consumer in harmful quantities? Does removing the peel eliminates most of them, to an extend that it would be safe the long-term consumption of big daily quantities of non-organic peeled fruits? (Since not everyone can afford organic, or grown their own, or buy from people who grown their own! Must of us are subject to the big markets, like me.)

Or is cooking, after all, safer than Wai Diet, due to the overwhelming quantity and diversity of pesticides, chemical fertilizers, and other chemical substances they put on our fruits and vegetables, like enforced ripening, waxes for conservation, etc?

I really believe that Wai Diet is theoretically the perfect diet, and that we were made to eat fruit/seeds and a bit of animal foods. But in the situation we see ourselves in, within all the madness and greed of the food industry acting with no scruples in the production of the foods we eat, would it be safer to keep on eating some vegetable soups, some cooked grains/cereal, etc, since cooking possibly eliminates some of the pesticides and all those weird chemicals that nature didn't build our bodies to get on with? Would the HCAs, opiod peptides, dirty protein, plant/grain anti-nutrients, etc etc, would those substances ending up being less harmful to our health, than the pesticides we consume from (peeled) fruits, specially when eating large quantities of fruit per day, over years?
panacea

Re: Pesticides from fruit vs toxins from cooked foods

Post by panacea »

As long as you are eating fruits with very thick protective skin/shell, then I don't think there is virtually any pesticides inside them. For example - watermelon (not eating close to the edge), honeydew melon (same thing), oranges, pineapple, bananas, avocado, etc..
mario91

Post by mario91 »

I believe that those fruits have much less pesticides, and I've always been trying to eat like that since I started Wai, but are they still safe to eat kilos and kilos a day over years? Do they really virtually don't contain pesticides? And what about chemical fertilizers, enforced ripening, waxes for conservation, etc? My question remains.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

The peels of fruits are protective, thats how nature has designed them.
Its supposed to keep out all kind of stuff, ranging from extremely small (viral, bacteria, molds) to big (insects, worms etc),
and keep in the juice.
Thats quite an effective barrier.
There is no cross-peel transport vehicle that enables toxins to 'leak in'.
Fertilizers need such a transport vehicle. Waxes have no penetration properties whatsoever.
So, yes, removing the peel solves your problem.
mario91

Post by mario91 »

Ty so much for you answer RRM! I really needed to know about that!

But now, I'm gonna mess with you (and everyone else) a bit more:
Toxins from raw animal food vs toxins from cooked animal foods.
Excess bacteria, diseases (like mad cow disease from raw beef, chicken flu from raw egg yolk), excess mercury and algae contaminations from fish (I don't mention parasites cause I don't consider them a serious threat, they can be killed with freezing and are quite easy to detect, and quite rare too), etc etc... All this stuff vs dirty protein, hca's, trans-fats, beta-carbolines, etc etc etc... What do you have to say?

Btw is there a considerable risk of getting mad cow's disease by eating deep frozen grass-fed beef?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

mario91 wrote: Toxins from raw animal food vs toxins from cooked animal foods.
Excess bacteria, .. mad cow disease... chicken flu ... excess mercury and algae contaminations...
Thats an easy one.
Toxins in cooked foods are always there.
Excess bacteria is easily avoided (dont eat food that has gone bad)
Excess mercury is easily avoided as well (choose your meat wisely), but not even raw food specific.
As for the rest: these are not raw food specific either (and very rare).
mario91

Post by mario91 »

Thanks again for the info!

I'm still standing a bit behind about this, since I think nowadays meat/fish producers and sellers think we're all gonna "burn" our animal food before eating it, so they might all be less rigorous in the way they produce it and treat it. But after all, I get the feeling that it's still better to eat raw, as long as you spend some time searching for the best quality. It might not be as good as the fish you'd fish, the cows you'd have in your land, the eggs from the chicken you'd create, but it might be very well better than eating it cooked.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Cooking does not make the meat any safer.
overkees

Post by overkees »

When it comes to eating meat, I only consume really good quality tartare. Organic of course. They say the cows only eat their natural foods which are of course also ogranic.

When i eat tartare i put 2 raw egg yolks on top. This is heaven. Im not a very emotional guy, but when i first tried this I had tears in my eyes.

This is the way meat should be treated, cooked meat can never defeat this.
mario91

Post by mario91 »

RRM wrote:Cooking does not make the meat any safer.
I think I understand... in a matter that you can see when meat is spoiled and not eat it. So, even if like 90% of the meat/fish would prepared with poor hygiene, thinking we're all gonna burn the germs before eating it, we can still eat the 10% that is sufficiently unspoiled to eat raw. Is this in your line of thinking?
overkees wrote: This is the way meat should be treated, cooked meat can never defeat this.
You're so damn right! :D
panacea

Post by panacea »

http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/summary/

The cleanest fruit appears to be pineapples!
Worst fruit appears to be store apples.

@RRM
Why does pineapple juice foam, even using slow masticating juicer? Does that represent damage to nutrients?
mario91

Post by mario91 »

Interesting site! That's maybe why I just can't eat store apples :)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

mario91 wrote: I think I understand... in a matter that you can see when meat is spoiled and not eat it. So, even if like 90% of the meat/fish would prepared with poor hygiene, thinking we're all gonna burn the germs before eating it, we can still eat the 10% that is sufficiently unspoiled to eat raw. Is this in your line of thinking?
Yes, you can see, taste and smell whether the raw meat is spoiled, or not.
But, in my experience, not "10%" but virtually all beef and chicken that you can buy in a high-end supermarket is safe to consume raw.
High-end supermarkets have very stringent control systems.
panacea wrote: Why does pineapple juice foam, even using slow masticating juicer? Does that represent damage to nutrients?
The foam contains a lot of air, which is why it floats on top of the juice.
Its the juicing the puts a lot of pressure on the fruit, pressing air in the juice, creating foam.
I think it depends on the structure of the flesh how much air is pressed in the juice.
Also, when fruits are juiced, cells are raptured and decomposition commences, which also creates foam.
Pineapple contains protein-decomposing enzymes that will enhance decomposition in general.
mario91 wrote:Interesting site! That's maybe why I just can't eat store apples :)
Just peel your fruits.
Make the peel as thick as your worries.
mario91

Post by mario91 »

RRM wrote: Yes, you can see, taste and smell whether the raw meat is spoiled, or not.
But, in my experience, not "10%" but virtually all beef and chicken that you can buy in a high-end supermarket is safe to consume raw.
High-end supermarkets have very stringent control systems.
´
Yeah, that makes sense.
Because the only thing that cooking meat/fish does regarding safeness is killing germs, correct?
dime

Post by dime »

Germs and parasites, yes. But it doesn't do anything about the toxins that have been produced by the bad bacteria (not all are bad guys) in spoiled meat.