Fruits & adrenaline and histamine secretion?

Cancer, Diabetes, Osteoporosis etc.
finnishfiend
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Fruits & adrenaline and histamine secretion?

Post by finnishfiend »

Okay, the first thing I noticed since I started incorporating orange juice and pineapple (specifically) into my diet every day, I felt wired pretty much all day, and had a difficult time falling asleep (though the energy I was feeling was awesome, so I didn't mind).

Also, I noticed that my eyes had dark bags under them all the time. At first I thought, "could this be the result of calorie restriction?". I had read that anorexics experience adrenaline highs after not eating for a while. I certainly do not want to lose any more weight (I'm very thin to begin with). So, I added a decent amounts of calories in the form of pizza and pasta. I was well over my calorie quotient for a few days, and still I felt wired and had bags under my eyes.

Then I did a little more reading about fruit, and found out that many can contain histamine or cause the release histamine. The histamine causes bags under the eyes. Plus, when histamine levels rise in the body, adrenaline is secreted to counter it.

Is this a likely explanation? Is this why so many people here consume OJ as opposed to other juices? Does anyone else experience feeling wired after eating (specifically) pineapple?

If this is a likely explanation, is it safe to have adrenaline circulating through our systems so often? (or histamine for that matter)
RRM
Administrator

Re: Citrus fruits... better than coffee?

Post by RRM »

finnishfiend wrote:I had read that anorexics experience adrenaline highs after not eating for a while.
I think you mean endorphin-highs (also known as 'runner's high'). The release of endorphins is indeed increased in anorexics.
The effects of adrenalin are more 'hyper'-like.
Adrenaline is increased when you drink too much juice in one sitting though, so thats probably the problem.

I certainly do not want to lose any more weight (I'm very thin to begin with). So, I added a decent amounts of calories in the form of pizza and pasta.
pizza and pasta contain calories, and fruit juices do not???
If you need more calories from your juices, simply add sugar and oil.

Then I did a little more reading about fruit, and found out that many can contain histamine or cause the release histamine. The histamine causes bags under the eyes. Plus, when histamine levels rise in the body, adrenaline is secreted to counter it.
I guess we have to stop eating fruits and fish (also histamine)
Maybe we should start eating pizza and pasta.

Does anyone else experience feeling wired after eating (specifically) pineapple?
I dont know what it is to feel 'wired', but I love eating pineapple, unless its not very, very ripe (because if not completely ripe it contains protein-digesting enzymes, hurting your lips)
Make sure to contineously take sips instead of drinking much in one sitting.
is it safe to have adrenaline circulating through our systems so often?
Adrenaline is secreted due to blood sugar spikes, and when you are very excited / afraid. (Its secretion is counteracted by other hormones).
So, I advice you not to drink large amounts of juice in one sitting; instead sip from it all day, according to your energy requirements, and you will be fine.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Sorry finnishfiend, I accidentally edited your post and had to delete it. :(

The important thing I got from your post though, was that you didn't get a nervous energy, but a steady energy all day long, which seems very positive to me.

I remember bags under the eyes had something to do with water retention, but I forget how exactly.
finnishfiend

Post by finnishfiend »

That's okay, Oscar.

The main point was that ReformedRobotMan is probably right. He is much more experienced with this lifestyle than I am.

My new take on this:

I think I might have been experiencing the anorexic high. I have never had that much of an appetite, and therefore it is easy for me to undereat. I am 6' 2" and before starting this experiment, I was over 175 lbs (about 80 kilograms). The inability to sleep was probably low blood sugar levels (I have read that this can be a cause of mid-night awakenings and such).

I went to my school's gym today to see how my weight is doing (to make sure I haven't lost any). I discovered that I'm now 165 pounds (75 kilograms). That is over ten pounds in probably 2 and a half weeks. I'm concerned about that.

Granted, a small portion of that is probably "water weight", but it can't all be explained away by that (at least I think).

I sat down and figured out that I'm probably only getting between 2000 and 2400 calories a day right now. Not nearly enough for an active, young, tall male. I need AT LEAST 3000 calories a day.

So I suppose it is just a matter of adding more calories in the form of sugar and oil. I will continue this experiment for a while and see what happens. I will focus on small sips, often.
finnishfiend

Post by finnishfiend »

And yes, I'm aware that I claimed that I went over my caloric quota some days. But the reality is that I was probably under my caloric quota before eating those meals, and in fact I slept well those nights. I probably was still under my quota for the day. Funny how the mind wants to piece things together sometimes.

Wai is right. It is very easy to undereat with this diet. I have to be more careful.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Very good observations! I think you're going to be alright. :)
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

RRM wrote:
is it safe to have adrenaline circulating through our systems so often?
Adrenaline is secreted due to blood sugar spikes, and when you are very excited / afraid. (Its secretion is counteracted by other hormones).
So, I advice you not to drink large amounts of juice in one sitting; instead sip from it all day, according to your energy requirements, and you will be fine.
RRM, What is your take on adrenaline due to feeling excited/nervous? For example, lets say I am a professional soccer player. My country is in the World Cup Final. It comes down to a penalty shootout and I am the final player to kick. If I score, my country wins. There is tremendous pressure to score that kick in front of millions of people worldwide. Adrenaline is no doubt secreted in that situation.

Hence, my question is, is the adrenaline secreted in that situation good or bad? Or are all types of adrenaline bad for you? Is it healthy to secrete adrenaline? If secreting oxytocin due to an orgasm is good, adrenaline can't be bad, no? Afterall, they are all hormones? Or are there bad and good hormones? Will secreting adrenaline shorten my lifespan? What about if you don't secrete adrenaline? Won't all the adrenaline build up in your system and lead to health problems?

The reason I am asking is because I like playing sports and sometimes when my soccer team is trailing, I am kinda pissed and will go all out to try to win the game. I won't take a draw or a loss as an answer. I just don't like losing. So there is no doubt that lots of adrenaline is being secreted in the process of the game. If our team manage to win, I feel good. If despite our fight and we still lose, i think my system secretes even more adrenaline as I feel like bashing someone to take out my frustration (Fight or flight). Just the other day, I was thinking whether all this adrenaline secreted is good or bad for me.

What are your thoughts and/or advices? Don't tell me I have to quit sports??
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Kookaburra wrote:is the adrenaline secreted in that situation good or bad?
Its natural, and essential to perform optimally when required,
so, good.
Or are all types of adrenaline bad for you?
Its just a shift in the state of your body.
From not so active to very alert.
There are always times that you need to be very alert;
you need to be ready to jump away from a truck heading to you.
So, adrenalin is essential.
Is it healthy to secrete adrenaline? If secreting oxytocin due to an orgasm is good, adrenaline can't be bad, no?
Too much and too little is bad.
Its all about balance.
If you are secreting too much adrenaline too often,
you will be breaking down your muscle tissue for energy,
and it will have adverse effects on other hormones.
are there bad and good hormones?
No.
Will secreting adrenaline shorten my lifespan?
Only if it hapens for no reason too much;
then its a stress response, which indeed shortens your lifespan.
What about if you don't secrete adrenaline?
We all do.
Just the other day, I was thinking whether all this adrenaline secreted is good or bad for me.
Don't tell me I have to quit sports??
Ha ha, thats perfectly healthy.
The adrenalin enables you to perform optimally,
and not for no reason, as you use the energy made available.
Afterwards it just takes a while before the adrenalin goes down again.
The adrenalin and your activities are in balance.
You just need to make sure to build up sufficient energy prior to the game
(filling up your glycogen depots)
so that you dont have to draw on muscle tissue.
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

are there bad and good hormones?
No.
So all hormones are neutral?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Yes, in the sense that all hormones can have good and/or bad effects,
depending on that, given a certain condition, how much of that hormone is required,
how much of their counterparts is required,
the sensitivity of their receptors,
and the level of each hormone.