Sleep & omega 3, oleamide, saturated fats

Cancer, Diabetes, Osteoporosis etc.
Maleko
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Sleep & omega 3, oleamide, saturated fats

Post by Maleko »

My wife teaches nutrition and sleep to pregnant women and maternity professionals and I encouraged her to use some of your material/research in her courses.

One other question I have is on the relationship of fat ratios to sleep/serotonin. How would saturated fat from say raw cream or raw butter effect sleep quality? Somedays I find myself eating more raw cream, raw sheeps cheese, raw butter, etc than raw egg yolks. How would the ratio of saturated fats to omega 3 fats (or to monosaturated fats) effect hormone levels and sleep?

Aloha, Maleko
RRM
Administrator

Re: Sleep & omega 3, oleamide, saturated fats

Post by RRM »

Maleko wrote:How would the ratio of saturated fats to omega 3 fats (or to monosaturated fats) effect hormone levels and sleep?
I will try to look into that as soon as possible.
RRM
Administrator

Re: Sleep & omega 3, oleamide, saturated fats

Post by RRM »

At least an omega-3 deficient diet "lessens the melatonin rhythm...and plays a role in nocturnal sleep disturbances". Lavialle M et al
In newborns there is a link between low DHA status and poor sleep patterns, and in adults low DHA level status is related with obstructive sleep apnea. Ladesich JB et al
Omega 3 (and -6, Mg, Zn) supplementation decreased problems to fall asleep in ADHD children. Huss M et al

The 2 fatty acid amides anandamide and oleamide acutely induce (REM) sleep when administered. Herrera-Solis A et al
Oleamide (cis-9-octadecenamide) also acts as an analgesic (and therefore considered an 'endocannabinoid').
Inside the brain, oleamide is made of oleoylglycine, and alternatively of oleic acid + nitrogen. Mueller GP et al
Extra oleoylglycine does not increase the biosynthesis of oleamide, though. Chaturvedi S et al
But sufficient palmitoleic (monounsaturated omega-7) and oleic acid (monounsaturated omega-9) are important as precursors of oleamide. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17123808
Somedays I find myself eating more raw cream, raw sheeps cheese, raw butter, etc than raw egg yolks.
That could be correct...
Triglyceride esters of oleic acid compose 70% of olive oil (plus 2% free oleic acid plus a little palmitoleic acid).
Sheabutter contains 45% oleic aid.
Butterfat contains 25% oleic acid and 2% palmitoleic acid.
Coconut oil 7% oleic acid

So, its definitely that you need both (plus sufficient cholesterol). But, in what ratio?
I could not find an answer to that question.
I would guess 2 drops of Olive oil and 3 drops of egg yolk over 1 slice of raw salmon!! :)