The mystery of more frequent urination after an all nighter

Cancer, Diabetes, Osteoporosis etc.
panacea
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

The mystery of more frequent urination after an all nighter

Post by panacea »

I'm trying to find an answer to the phenomenon I experience whenever I pull an all nighter (almost always).
I have never had to wake up in the middle of the night to urinate.. ever. And I've drank a lot of water to very little at different times in my life, so I think my bladder is pretty normal. I also don't drink caffiene, sodas, or alcohol, or any other weird substance that should affect my urination more than the norm.

And yet, ever since I was a child, staying up all night will cause me, usually around morning time, to urinate more and more frequently until finally I can't stay up anymore. I don't mean that the urination is so frequent that it suggests a health problem, because it's still pretty normal spacing of hours between having to urinate, but I can tell an almost linear trend in decreasing time I can go without needing to urinate the longer I stay up, and I'm trying to figure out why this is, because if it happens to everyone, someone somewhere must have found the answer.

So first of all, do any of you notice this effect too? And if so, what information can you find? The keywords I used on Google didn't present any clues.
My only clue comes from a buteyko book, which states:
"Acidification of blood due to increased CO2 content triggers biological pH buffers in the blood. A part of
this process is redistribution of ions in various compartments of the body (intracellular fluid, extra-cellular
fluid, blood plasma, intestinal content, etc.). These processes may require additional water. Hence, drink if
you get thirsty at any stage, even in the middle of the breathing session."
So, naturally, I thought that staying up long hours prevents the CP drop from sleeping, so that staying up all night may cause more blood acidification than you are used to and cause more need for water or more need to urinate, I'm not sure. This is total speculation, don't take it seriously.
Also, the question arises of why we need to urinate in the first place, if our bodies need water. I always thought the answer was to get rid of waste products caused by bodily processes or eating - but it doesn't make sense that you would need to urinate more frequently after staying up all night rather than in normal waking hours, unless that translates to your body creating more waste products needing to be expelled - but Why!?

Another interesting effect of this phenomenon is that after an all nighter and this phenomenon starts, the urination I experience is almost always extremely lightly colored or at least much lighter than the urination in the waking hours before.

To me, this possibly could hint at the idea that my body is creating more ammonia because I didn't sleep - it would explain why my body is sacrificing so much water to expel so little waste product while not having the normal waste products associated with darker shades of urine! (btw, I believe that the yellowness of urine is directly related to the water your body has to spare as well as the tiredness of your red blood cells).

Although, it doesn't make sense that it would be increased ammonia because I don't eat protein hardly ever when I pull all nighters. It's usually just computer screens and some water and sugar sources (not more than in waking hours, usually less until I start having to urinate frequently, at which point I will crave water more intensely, but my urine will remain clearer each time, suggesting that it's not due to dehydration.)

I know this will sound crazy, but it really does feel like my entire body will 'accelerate' and I'll have to drink more, urinate more, etc, if I stay up more than 23 hours.
dime

Re: The mystery of more frequent urination after an all nigh

Post by dime »

I think I've noticed the same.
My guess: sleep deprivation increases cortisol, and cortisol decreases vasopressin, which increases urination. It should make sense that increased cortisol would cause this, as one of its functions is to increase gluconeogenesis (mainly protein to glucose) which will certainly result in more ammonia.

Further hint from wikipedia: Cortisol causes the kidneys to produce hypotonic urine (explains why the urine is less yelow I believe)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Dime's theory makes sense to me.
panacea wrote:the tiredness of your red blood cells
What is that?
Do you mean red blood cells at the end of their life cycle?
There is a constant supply of new red blood cells (about 1% of total),
and as they last about 100 to 120 days,
also a constant rate (that may get accelerated) of red blood cells become old,
and are subsequently recognised by macrophages,
and continually removed from the blood.
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

I've noticed something similar as well. I haven't pulled an all nighter since college, however I notice it when I travel transatlantic which in a way is similar.
Staying up or not sleeping when your body is used to it. I notice that I drink more and urinate more.
Now here is an interesting but non-scientific explanation. It comes from a channeled book (a book written by a person where the information for the book was "dictated" by a non-physical entity). THe book is called: Menus for Impulsive Living by Kurt Leland. http://www.kurtleland.com
He talks about how urination clears/changes our bio/brain chemistry. We usually have an impulse to urinate when we switch from one activity or one kind of activity to another. People with concentration difficulties urinate more often than people who can focus their attention for longer periods of time.
After reading the book I followed the instructions to urinate any and all times I feel the urge and I started to urinate more often than before and I also started to work more effectively. Getting tasks done faster, and moving from one activity to the next with more ease. As far as transatlantic travel, since doing this I am not jet-lagged anymore.
As long as I pee when I feel an urge/impulse and drink water (which I normally drink little of) I adapt within the day of my arrival to the new time zone.
"You cannot do something you don't know IF you keep on doing what you know"
F.M. Alexander
dime

Post by dime »

Yes I think we have those urges for a reason and it's stupid to ignore them.

The book name on that website is awesome, "The Multidimensional Human"; I work with multidimensional stuff :D
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

That book, the Multidimentional Human IS amazing.
All about other realms/planes of existence...
:)
"You cannot do something you don't know IF you keep on doing what you know"
F.M. Alexander
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Hmmm, I wonder how that would work, though ignoring a peeing urge can distract, I suppose. :)
dime

Post by dime »

Suppose you're really busy or lazy, you can easily end up holding it for quite long :)