Excessive protien and bone demineralization

Cancer, Diabetes, Osteoporosis etc.
Thomas
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Excessive protien and bone demineralization

Post by Thomas »

RRM,

Read and enjoyed your articles regarding excessive protein, calcium etc. I have also read that the Eskimos (with their high protein diet) have the highest rate of osteoporosis in the world.
How far must one go beyond their protein requirements to start demineralization?

Also, does increased cellular turnover begin immediately after consuming protein beyond the body's needs? What kind of an objective acceleration are we talking about here?
Monique

Post by Monique »

ive read that d inuit have very LOW osteoporosis rates
n very high proteinin take
Bambi726

Post by Bambi726 »

I have also read that the inuit/Eskimos who are on their native diet of primarily fish, seal meat and fat, and small amounts of berries and nuts, are actually extremely healthy with extremely low rates of osteoporosis. Only a very minute amount of Eskimo peoples are actually still on this diet. Here's a story from Weston A. Price's book, "Nutrition and Physical Degeneration," demonstrating the difference between the effects of the traditional Eskimo diet, as I mentioned above, and the more modern one that most Eskimos have unfortunately adopted:

"Dr. Price cites the case of an Eskimo woman, 'who had had twenty children so easily that she did not bother to wake her husband when the birth occurred at night. The daughter... had very narrow dental arches and a boyish type of body build. Unlike her mother, she had a very severe experience in the birth of her only child and insisted she would not take the risk of another.... Deformity due to the poor (nutritional) status of the parents may, of course, be a mild or severe character. The narrow arches, nostrils and hips, and the susceptibility to dental caries which Dr. Price found among primitive peoples who had shifted from a good tribal food pattern to a poor civilized food pattern should be rated as mild deformities, since they handicap the individual’s ability to function without destroying his social validity.'(14)"

From http://www.price-pottenger.org/Articles/XFactor.html

Here is a story to check out about Vilhjalmur Stefansson, who spent over 20 years with the Eskimos on their primative diets in the early 1900s. I can't appreciate the pretentious tone of the site that it's on, but it's an extremely interesting article.

http://www.biblelife.org/stefansson1.htm

I'm not saying the Wai diet is bad in any way at all, I'm just saying I don't think it is the only diet that may work to keep people healthy and free of osteoporosis. Just my personal opinion :)

~Amber
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

It is still in line with the principles of the Wai diet. The original eskimo diet might work well, but it might not be ideal, which is what the Wai diet tries to achieve.

Since glucose is so important for our body, we have several ways to convert food into glucose, if we're not getting it directly. Using a process called 'gluconeogenesis', fats and protein can be converted into glucose. This is how the eskimo's got their glucose.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Wai's Way, regarding bone health its primarily calcium intake that determines the speed of the ageing of bones; the higher the calcium intake, the sooner bone cell renewal capacity is exhausted, eventually resulting in porous bones.

In this view, a high protein, but low calcium diet (eskimo's / inuit) is good for your bones than the current western (high calcium) diet.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

"It has been known for years that the ethnic group with some of the most severe osteoporosis on the planet are the Native American Inuit living in the Arctic. This is due in significant part to their ingestion of large quantities of high-protein fish and seal meat. This high-protein diet apparently results in high losses of calcium from their bones and leads to advanced osteoporosis among their women."1

1. Mazess, R., Bone mineral content of North Alaskan Eskimos. Am J Clin Nutr 27: 916,1974.

Doesn't this contradict the Wai Says osteoporosis article?
nick

Post by nick »

What is the calcium intake?

Some scientists recognize protein as the reason, while not looking at the calcium intake which according to Wai is the probable cause.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Hmm... Well, you have a point there. I guess I never thought of the possibility that they eat animal bones.
Although I'm not sure of how much calcium that would provide.