In the News - Wai Diet Prevents Alzheimer's

Cancer, Diabetes, Osteoporosis etc.
Adam
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

In the News - Wai Diet Prevents Alzheimer's

Post by Adam »

http://www.nature.com/news/2006/060417/ ... 417-2.html

Was published about 12 hours ago. While it's actually the "Mediterranian Diet," they say that it's "a diet loaded with fruit, vegetables and olive oil, some fish and alcohol, but little dairy and meat."

Which is very similar to the Wai diet. I also like the part near the bottom, where they say

"The Mediterranean diet has already been shown to protect against coronary heart disease, diabetes and some forms of cancer."

But of course, all of you reading this no doubt already knew that :wink:

It's a nice article although not that long, just further proof to add to the tally that the diet we eat really works.

P.S. Yes I did sign up on the forums just to post this, i've actually known about Waisays.com for the greater part of four years, and I just never really had a reason to post on the forums before.

--Adam
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Hello Adam, welcome to the forum. :)

Interesting to read. Apparently there isn't only one Mediterranean diet, and it's a loose term for diets based on food traditions in countries around the Mediterranean Sea. Wai also mentions this, for example in relation to the use of olive oil, I believe. Still, they cook, eat grains, beans, vegetables, etc.

Would you like to tell us a bit about your own dietary habits over these 4 years?
Adam

Post by Adam »

Sure Oscar.

I first found Wai my Sophomore year of highschool, due to my very very bad acne.

Initially I tried going on the diet but due to not being able to buy my own food, and my parents thinking I was crazy and the usual reactions from my peers (everyone still thinks i'm a complete health nut because i've read the Wai book like 5 times so I have so much of the information memorized I can recall it anyone starts bringing up food as a subject matter), I was unable to maintain the diet, however I did cut back largely on red meat, and cut out a good portion of my dairy consumption as well as eating pretty much all the fruit in the house and started eating raw egg yolk.

Since then I have been off and on the Wai diet, after getting my licence and being able to buy my own food it has become easier, and I am infamously known in the family for making 10 pm trips to the market and coming back with a car full of fruit.

I currently estimate I am around 90-95% all raw food in accordance with the Wai diet, however I do not have the raw nuts every day like I should, and I don't have the olive oil every day (although I do have Avocados every day which gives me some fats).

Basically I don't follow a strict rigorous diet plan, I just simply stay away from cooked food, eat fruit all the time, drink lots of OJ, oh but the one thing I do that is rigorous is I have my 5 egg yolks every morning when I wake up like clockwork (mixed into OJ).

So thats basically my entire life story. Oh, one question I wanna ask while i'm posting, I was recently convinced to join a gym, but I do remember Wai saying in her book about how only Low level exercises burn your fat and calories and all of that. I vaguely remember livers holding like 600 calories and your kidneys like 1000 (don't remember the exact numbers).

So my question was, when I go to the gym (I went my first time on Monday, and am proabably gonna go again tonight), if I spend like an hour on a treadmill walking, would that be low level or would it still be really high level exercise?

Thx,

--Adam
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I edited your post for you (only moderators/admins can edit posts). :)

Thanks for sharing your story. :)

Walking on a treadmill is low level exercise. The glycogen depots in the liver can hold 400 and the muscles 1200. Kidney can't hold any glycogen. If you want to reduce your bodyfat, you also have to make sure you get enough fats, and have enough energy during the exercise.

There are a few threads about this.
CurlyGirl

Post by CurlyGirl »

Hi Adam, and welcome!

You mentioned you had severe acne several years ago (before you came across Wai) - so have you experienced any improvements in your skin since you changed your diet?

If you have extra bodyfat you want to lose, walking is the best way to lose it, indeed. But as Oscar says, you need to make sure you consume enough sugars and fats so your body doesn't think there is a famine... you can read the chapter called 'Utilizing Body Fat Most Efficiently' (chapter 60) of the Wai Book: http://www.youngerthanyourage.com/waibook.htm

Good luck, and keep us posted!
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hey CurlyGirl,

Yes, I did have severe cystic acne, however after I started modifying my diet the acne started to clear up, and since the acne was going away I started eating normal foods again (progressively), until the wai diet was kind of in the back of my mind, and I was eating the bad foods that I completely forgot we're bad for me again (although I still had a good portion of fruits in my daily regimen, I was back to red meat and dairy as well as cooked foods).

My acne resurfaced about a year and a half later, not quite as bad as before, so I started avoiding spices and eating more fruits, but now once again as of about 7 months ago, I am back on the wai diet, and this time I decided to stay on it completely and indefinitely. The reasons are numerous, among them the fact that I feel much better and don't ever get sick (with the exception of an occasional runny nose) when i'm on the wai diet. Also, my Aunt just recently experienced breast cancer, and after seeing what she went through with chemo and everything i'd prefer to avoid cancer entirely, so i've cleaned up my act.

Thanks for pointing out chapter 60 for me, I must confess that although I have read the book several times, I have never read the 4th section, largely because everytime i've read the book I wasn't overweight. Unfortunatly, last year my weight skyrocketed due to my terrible diet at the time, and my lack of exercise because I was no longer in sports.

My total body weight went up from 155lbs to 178ish lbs. After going back on Wai, I have gone back down to 161 lbs, and although I did eat some food that I shouldn't have during the holidays (had a couple of bites of chicken and such caving to pressure from the family who STILL don't support my food choices and think i'm just being weird), I am currently around 5-8% over my setpoint weight (according to my estimations), but i'm feeling much better and eating much better than I have in a long time, and I hope to stay this way despite everyone thinking i'm some sort of radical leftist health nut.

--Adam
CurlyGirl

Post by CurlyGirl »

Thanks for your update, Adam... :-) I too began the diet a while back, then 'forgot' about it and put on weight in the interim (academic work - i.e. sedentary lifestyle; also disordered eating), then I came back to it with renewed vigour some time later. As for my skin, it is clear except for some darkened areas where I keep picking at old wounds (a bad habit of self-destruction), but when I leave them alone everything is beautiful. I still have some problems with over-consuming munchfoods and not listening carefully enough to my body, so I still weigh about 5% more than I'd like to (similar to you), but I expect that in time, this will correct itself. Patience, patience, patience! I also have pressure from my family sometimes (mostly because I have a history of eating disorders and self-abuse and they are concerned that the Wai diet is just an extension of this), but my partner supports me in what I do (and eat) - even though he is not willing to adopt the diet himself. Perhaps someday he will come round! Fortunately I don't live in the same city (not even the same country) as my family, so I don't have to worry about their opinions most of the time. And I am an adult, so when I visit and they give me trouble at the dinnertable, I simply remind them of that fact and that keeps them quiet. I know the 'radical leftist health-nut' insult very well, but that's not just because of my dietary habits - I am very outspoken on political and environmental issues too. (Which has made me very unpopular at times - but I don't care.)

A year ago, my mother had a cancerous tumour below her eye and is scarred for life as a result of standard medical treatment - 'let's cut the thing out, never mind what caused it!!' - so I too have a keen desire to avoid suffering the same fate. I am also planning to have children soon and would like to make my body the best baby-making 'factory' it can be (i.e. no toxins passed onto my children).
huntress

Post by huntress »

I simply remind them of that fact and that keeps them quiet. I know the 'radical leftist health-nut' insult very well, but that's not just because of my dietary habits - I am very outspoken on political and environmental issues too.
You are SO awesome CG!! The other day, I recently met an acquaintance, who knew about my diet since 4 months ago, and she asked if I was still on the diet and I said yes and then she said "Wow...I'm surprised that you are still alive". :roll:
I felt so insulted. :?
Which has made me very unpopular at times - but I don't care.
COOL! 8) I admire that about you!
rischott

Post by rischott »

huntress wrote:"Wow...I'm surprised that you are still alive".
I felt so insulted.

I've had the same experience. I've been accused of being in a cult and my sexual orientation has even been questioned. I don't understand. If we did not have refrigerators and ovens and food processing plants, how would we live? If you were to wake up on an island, how would one survive? How have societies lived on deserted islands for thousands of years, not even knowing (and maybe not caring) electricity even existed? Sometimes, I just want to smack some people, smash their damned television set, and ............
The diet is genious for internal nirvana, but how does one survive with the external world?
nick

Post by nick »

rischott wrote: I've had the same experience. I've been accused of being in a cult and my sexual orientation has even been questioned. I don't understand.
They haven't taken the time to take a close look at the details. They aren't aware that being aware of such things (diet, health, friends, habits, lifestyle) and seeking out information is something that should be a habit.
In college they'll think your 'gay' or just call you 'gay' because you deviate from the norm. These people think one way about the issue and don't care to take the time to see it another way.

How do we change this? I wish I knew...
The diet is genious for internal nirvana, but how does one survive with the external world?
Following this diet and enjoying the benefits is probably the best way. People will notice and can see how powerful it is for changing and improving ones life. It is a slow process.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Hmmm, so far I've only experienced either positive or neutral reactions, no negative ones at all. Maybe people already considered me crazy...which of course is true. ;)
huntress

Post by huntress »

Hmm... I guess we can't blame them afterall because they are so 'brainwashed' and 'programmed' by the dead foods they consume. The only comfort I can give myself when facing a disparaging remark is thanking myself for not being brainwashed.
CurlyGirl

Post by CurlyGirl »

huntress wrote:You are SO awesome CG!!
:oops: :oops: Ah, shucks! Thanks huntress. I think you are awesome too! :-) I'm sorry that your acquaintance made such a hurtful comment - but in fact, it needn't be hurtful. It just depends on how you interpret it - either it is your problem (which it isn't, since you are clearly thriving on this diet), or it is hers (which is the most likely - she is perhaps jealous of your happiness and abundant health, or just too 'stuck' in her mainstream programming to see anything outside of it).

I wish we could all meet each other and have a Wai party!
nick wrote:Following this diet and enjoying the benefits is probably the best way. People will notice and can see how powerful it is for changing and improving ones life. It is a slow process.
That is precisely how I see it. I've posted elsewhere about that... this diet works on more levels than just the physical, and other people don't even have to be all that sensitive to pick up on your different 'vibrations'. Also, the way you see yourself is often the 'cue' that other people use when they relate to you - so, if you feel confident about the diet, you believe that it's right and you feel good physically and emotionally about your decision to follow it, then people generally respond well (e.g. Oscar's experience). But if you yourself are full of doubts and paranoia that you will be malnourished, that you will go blind or crazy, that you will never be accepted by strangers or even your friends and family, then people sometimes sense this and try to break your already-weak resolve.
avalon

Post by avalon »

The idea of a Wai Party makes me Hungry :)

They have these vegan Potlucks, Why not a Wai Potluck!

Hmmm a Wai Potluck in Vero Beach, Florida...
nick

Post by nick »

Wai Party!

Wow, that would be a dream come true!
Luckily we would have enough energy to keep partying thanks to the diet! :lol: