what is a vitamin pill and what is not

Cancer, Diabetes, Osteoporosis etc.
RRM
Administrator
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by RRM »

johndela1 wrote:why can't we extract other things from foods and take them?
Sugar is just energy, not active as a co-enzyme (vitamins) or something similar.
Just consuming the sugar that you need for energy, does not interfere with processes in your body. Taking supplements does.
I thnk for similar reasons that you suggest taking sugar and olive oil.
Not similar at all.
The oil and sugar is taken in for extra energy by healthy people.
What you want from the MSM is a drug-like action.
huntress wrote:Oscar are you saying humans produce Vitamin C?
No, but many millions of years ago, 'we' did. Only because we ate lots of fruits daily, we lost the capacity to produce our own vitamin C through evolution, as we didnt need that capacity anymore (since we daily ingested lots of vitamin C)
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

I don't know how you define drug like reaction. If it heals or makes someone less prone to something is that what you mean?

Foods can also provide a drug like reaction. A better diet can cause conditions to go away.

I don't see this as a bad thing or something to be avoided in all cases.
avo

Post by avo »

RRM, there are many studies showing that injesting sugar/sucrose requires certain vitamins and minerals. It does interfere with some body processes, because the nutrients that would have gone to, say, building tissue, will be diverted to help assimilate the refined sugar.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Erm, isn't it normal that we use vitamins and minerals? Otherwise we wouldn't need them... ;)

Sucrose is broken into glucose and fructose in the small intestine, by the enzyme sucrase (located in the mucosa). This does not limit the absorption of the resulting monosaccharides, which are then processed as 'normal' monosaccharids would.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

I've read many articles that talk about how certain suppliments help certain people. Maybe these people wouldl also be helped by following the correct diet but it seems to me that certain things are good to take. One being alpha lipoic acid. In reality I don't know for sure if it is a good thing but have read that it is very beneficial. I don't think fruit, yolks and fish are a good source so I feel it is a good thing to suppliment it. If in the long run it wont make a diff to be taking it I'd rather not take it though.

Taking supplients is inconvienient and costs extra. This is again is a source of potential confusion to me. I read so much seeminly contradictory info, but can never reeally know for sure.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

johndela1 wrote:I don't know how you define drug like reaction.
There is nutrition, and there is evoking a response taking something in beyond our nutritional needs.
If it heals or makes someone less prone to something is that what you mean?
Raddiation can heal. Lots of drugs can heal, but they also have adverse effects.
Pure nutrition, as to satisfying your nutritional needs, never has adverse effects (if the food is raw and natural).
Any supplement that goes beyond our nutritional needs, may have adverse effects.
A better diet can cause conditions to go away.
Sure, by eliminating toxins.
And by ingesting nutrients that you previously ingested too little of.
I don't see this as a bad thing or something to be avoided in all cases.
"this" is 2 different things.
johndela1 wrote:I've read many articles that talk about how certain suppliments help certain people.
If you lack a nutrient, ingesting that nutrient in whatever way will be beneficial.
it seems to me that certain things are good to take.
Absolutely. They are called nutrients. Ingesting too much of it can have adverse effects. You need to take in according to your needs. Its about balance. Not about "more".
One being alpha lipoic acid. In reality I don't know for sure if it is a good thing but have read that it is very beneficial.
About any nutrient you can read that taking it extra may be beneficial. The issue is: can you bring your body out of balance by taking in too much?
I don't think fruit, yolks and fish are a good source
What?
no good source of what?
Last edited by RRM on Sun 28 May 2006 21:32, edited 2 times in total.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

avo wrote:RRM, there are many studies showing that injesting sugar/sucrose requires certain vitamins and minerals.
Its basic biochemistry that every nutrient that needs to be processed (all) requires other nutrients.
It does interfere with some body processes,
No, only if too little of a certain vitamin / mineral is available.
because the nutrients that would have gone to, say, building tissue, will be diverted to help assimilate the refined sugar.
Refined or not, sucrose is sucrose, and you need the same Bvitamins and minerals for the glucose and fructose, so that you just have to ingest these in sufficient quantities.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

RRM wrote:
One being alpha lipoic acid. In reality I don't know for sure if it is a good thing but have read that it is very beneficial.I don't think fruit, yolks and fish are a good source

What?
no good source of what?
alpha lipoic acid
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

johndela1 wrote:I don't think fruit, yolks and fish are a good source ... of alpha lipoic acid
A lack of alpha lipoic acid (ALA, LA or thioctic acid) has never been established in humans, regardless of their diet.
ALA is an antioxidant / enzyme that is produced by our own body from caprylic acid (8:0, octanoic acid) and sulfur. Caprylic acid is a fatty acid (particularly found in coconuts, and a bit in egg yolk and avocado) and sulfur is found in all protein (methionine and cysteine).

ALA stimulates glutathione production in our body.
Our body is the only one who exactly knows how much glutathione we need. So that we should never force our body to produce more glutathione than it deems appropriate.
Also, ALA influences the effects of insulin (it plays an essential role in energy metabolism), which is also something we should not interfere with.

Research has shown that consuming ALA (by consuming food containing ALA) does not increase the levels found in the blood, and that you can only force up that level by taking very high doses.
This shows that our body prefers not to increase the ALA level; you need to force it up if you want to have it increased.
Studies also show that the body tries to get rid of the extra ALA as soon as possible.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

wow, so people who are taking ALA are potentially wasting their time and money
avo

Post by avo »

Just like people taking calcium, iron, antioxidants, or virtually any other supplement.