nibbling on bones

Cancer, Diabetes, Osteoporosis etc.
jfk
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

nibbling on bones

Post by jfk »

I was just looking up raw diet for dogs. There was a lot of talk about a nutritional imbalace in the phosphorous to calcium ratio if the dogs
were only fed raw meat without the bone. Also they were talking about raw meaty bones being good for their teeth paws etc. I am well
aware we are a very different species and that the RDA of nutrients for humans and dogs/cats are likely to be both wrong. I also know that Wai's diet can provide all of the nutrients we need, but it got me curious...

what if some of the fish you consumed came with a bit of bone, could their be any nutritional value/detriment? Don't they contain alot of
nutrients? :?

It seems sort of natural (if consuming animal products) that you might nibble off the bone ingesting some along the way (dogs go to great lengths
to gnaw on them for hours- they love them! So do people I've noticed, I was vegetarian pre-Wai but generally speaking it appears instinctive/enjoyable to human beings too). Does anyone have an opinon about this?
RRM
Administrator

Re: nibbling on bones

Post by RRM »

jfk wrote:what if some of the fish you consumed came with a bit of bone, could their be any nutritional value/detriment? Don't they contain alot of nutrients? :?
Regarding health, nutrients are very much over-valued, and bad components in our diet neglected (heterocyclic amines, oxysterols).
Health is not about ingesting more nutrients. If you dont lack them, you dont need any extra. Its that simple.
It seems sort of natural (if consuming animal products) that you might nibble off the bone ingesting some along the way
It does, but I think that our ancestors who ate fish were more focussed on not ingesting bones, as that is very dangerous (perforation of the intestines).
But yes, they ate bone marrow, filled with lots of good cholesterol. Luckily you dont need bones for that, as good cholesterol is abundantly present in raw egg yolks.
jfk

Post by jfk »

ok, all clear, thank you :) just thought it was interesting regarding teeth especially.
van

nibbling on bones

Post by van »

You might want to read Stefason's account of eating an only animal diet whiile living with the Inuit peoples and his one year experiment of supervised eating of only animal products with a hospital in NY I believe in the thirties. Within his writings is a little sentance where the Inuits and he ate the soft fish bones and chewed on the end of rib bones. It may explain how they balanced the 'acidic' nature of such a diet and obtained enough bone and teeth building minerals to give them the absence of tooth decay and osteoporosus that they enjoyed. I have always been curious though. I'm sure part of it is that the animals they ate were tapped into the most mineral rich food chain in the world, that beginning with the green planktons of those Northern waters. Van
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

van wrote:I have always been curious though.
The mineral uptakes ratios are adjusted very efficiently; you may go from taking up only 8% of a mineral present to taking up 80%, depending on how much is supplied by your diet, so that a ten-fold decrease in mineral availability may not have any adverse effects at all.