Shaving cream

Make up, cream, skin issues, dental issues, dental hygiene, shampoo, dandruff...
Oscar
Administrator
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Shaving cream

Post by Oscar »

Hopefully this topic will appear only once...

Since I'm trying to cut down the use of soap (products), I'm wondering what kind of natural shaving cream the guys here use. I also wonder if it's any good to use olive oil for that. Any idea?
Brian
Administrator

Re: Shaving cream

Post by Brian »

Hi Oscar,

There are some threads at the old board that address this question, although there is no definitive answer of what to use if you do need shaving cream.

You can read them here:

http://www.waitalk.com/cgi-bin/bb/ultim ... 042#000000

http://www.waitalk.com/cgi-bin/bb/ultim ... 013#000000

I'm not sure that olive oil is the best idea, because it contains a fairly high percentage of vitamin E, which accelerates the shedding (aging) of the skin.

P.S. Personally I do the same as RRM and use an electric shaver that leaves a bit of hair. Anything more than that seems to irritate my skin.
Oscar
Administrator

Re: Shaving cream

Post by Oscar »

Thanks Brian! Having plowed through all the food related sections on the old board, I totally forgot to check the skin ones. :(

My skin isn't that sensitive to the razor (or shaving cream), but it might be a good idea to return to the electric razor anyway. Is a 'normal' electrical razor still irritating the skin?
rischott

Shaving

Post by rischott »

I found rubbing a mix of barley flour and spring water, rather than shaving cream or soap, on your area of shaving before hand leaves the skin smooth and warm afterwards. I am going to try coconut oil next. But for now, i am pleased with the feel of my skin. No irritation.
CurlyGirl

Post by CurlyGirl »

Rich, I shave my legs/underarms with coconut oil now also. It is fabulous, and I'm trying to convince my partner to do the same on his face! I'm not sure he'd go for the barley flour shaving mixture though... :-) How did you come up with this?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

So just coconut oil, and then shave right away?
CurlyGirl

Post by CurlyGirl »

Yep... obviously with clean skin first, but the coconut oil lubricates the blades and stops me from cutting myself!
rischott

Post by rischott »

I just bought coconut oil for the first time (for the sun burn). But I have also ate it, delicious! And I will try it on my skin as well for shaving, but I worry that the oil will ruin the razor. I have a 3 headed razor, i think something like a mach 3. I once tried olive oil on my face, but that didnt' work for comfort or my razor.
Anyhow, i'll give it a try.
I bought barley flour to replace toothpaste and soup, and just tried it with shaving, but i am sure coconut oil may be better.
meao

Post by meao »

I'm a chick, but I use olive oil on my legs - which looks hot ;) && is not bad for the skin.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I think coconut oil would be better (less vit E). I've tried that though, and I find it's quite painful to shave.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

At work im the only guy that is allowed to have a 3-days beard. When i started working there i simply told the manager that if i shave i get skin irritations and that they dont go away with time, so that i could only work there if she allowed me to just trim my beard daily. Luckily, she accepted.
jay

Post by jay »

I have the unfortunate combination of very sensitive skin and thick facial hair so shaving has always been a huge problem for me. It always left my skin reddened and with a burning sensation and I also was prone to razor bumps. I used to utterly dread having to shave and would only do so about once a week.

Then I started shaving with oil. I've tried olive, avocado, and walnut oil. I wanted to stay away from olive oil because of the vitamin E issue, but none of the other oils seemed to protect as well. Olive oil seems to be the thickest and most viscous. Also, it's on your face for less than 5 minutes so I think the accelerated skin shedding effect due to the vitamin E is pretty low. It leaves my skin incredibly soft and moisturized, and I've gotten many complements from the ladies on how soft and smooth my face is :). Also there is no redness which is nice.

My routine is pretty simple: Shower, splash face with warm water, apply a nickel (or 20 euro cent piece) size spot of olive oil to face, shave in direction of hair growth, and then rinse thoroughly with cold water. Gently pat dry skin. Easy.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

jay wrote:Olive oil seems to be the thickest and most viscous. Also, it's on your face for less than 5 minutes so I think the accelerated skin shedding effect due to the vitamin E is pretty low.
Exactly.
It leaves my skin incredibly soft and moisturized, and I've gotten many complements from the ladies on how soft and smooth my face is :). Also there is no redness which is nice.
Wow... sounds promising...
Thank you for the tip, im gonna try! :D
dionysus

Post by dionysus »

May want to try a DE razor with a shaving brush and shaving cream.
Negativity is the cult of the weak
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Nah, doesnt work for me