Oil on face, in detail

Make up, cream, skin issues, dental issues, dental hygiene, shampoo, dandruff...
sabie
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by sabie »

oh sorry, RRM, I had read that post (I am addicted to reading old posts, once I sit down I can't stop) but I was asking specifically about "unrefined", I guess I couldn't find a reference to that
sula58

Post by sula58 »

Hi sabie,

(I'm not sure if this is what you meant) but it doesn't matter if the coconut oil that you use as moisturizer is raw, refined, organic, etc. or not. The "rawness" of it only matters if you ingest it.

btw, I just started using coconut oil on my face, and it is really the most perfect moisturizer, I really love it!
nick

Post by nick »

I used to use coconut oil, but I don't use anything on my face. It's amazing how my skin seems to have balanced out. Its never dry and always just oily enough, never too much. I would recommend it to anyone whose been on the diet for a couple of months.
Marty

Oils

Post by Marty »

I have also used-- besides coconut oil-- cocoa butter on the face in small amounts (kakao butter; cacao; ke ke shu).....very very occasionally. (Different from coconut oil entirely, despite a similar sounding name in English)....

In truth I do not know if it is high (naturally) in vitamin E, but it does not seem to be to me. Perhaps it is not easy to tell with such limited use.

In China one can buy it, labelled locally, without the added vit. E which almost always occurs in American cocoa butter products. I am not sure of the labelling standards in China in terms of disclosing all ingredients, but it does not seem to irritate the skin the way vitamin E does. It is easier on the skin than coconut oil, to me, in the limited way I use it. It is also easier to wash off/reapply than coconut oil, especially when travelling on a plane or while onboard on the ocean for awhile.
RRM
Administrator

Re: Oils

Post by RRM »

Marty wrote:In truth I do not know if it is high (naturally) in vitamin E, but it does not seem to be to me.
Indeed, it isnt.
It naturally contains only 1 mg vitamine E activity / 100 gram (As you can see here: http://www.acneboard.com/AcneQandA/Forum2/000012.html )
van

coconut oil on face

Post by van »

For those of you interested, I have used for years finely shread FRESH coconut rubbed onto my face, and afterwards simply wiping away any shreds left on the skin. My feelings are that any of the so called raw coconut oils are far from fresh and vital and that the skin reacts to it eventually. Van
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Regarding the prevention of dehydration; There is one location where I can even use vaseline; at the dryest part of my skin: on top of my cheek bones, just next to my eyes. If I use it on any other part of my skin, it clogs the pores.
Last edited by RRM on Sat 13 Jan 2007 20:08, edited 1 time in total.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

True, but I dilute it very much; I first wet my hands and mix that moist with just one drop of oil, which I apply to my skin, as my skin hardly needs any fat anymore, except for the dry zones (on top of my check bones).
That way the effect of vitamin E is very much dilluted as well.
samaria

using oil as moisturizer ages your skin...?

Post by samaria »

I read somewhere that any type of oil starts to oxidize when exposed to air, generating something called peroxilipid, which ages your skin.

Thus it is best not to put anything on your skin

what do you guys think of this?

this making me frustrated cuz ive been using oil for a long time !!! :evil:
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

The top layer of your skin cells is already dead. Only when those peroxylipids can enter the cells, and penetrate multiple layers, that would be bad. The good thing is that our skin cells are water-based, and oil and water dont mix, so that the oil really stays on top of your skin. It doesnt work like a moisturizer, which actually prenetrates your skin.
On the top layer of your skin there is all kinds toxins from air pollution, but that doesnt matter, as long as the layers below are not affected.
Oil keeps those toxins right there, and prevents water to get drained away from your skin (as water and oil dont mix).
samaria

:)

Post by samaria »

thats good to hear (Whew...)

Thanks RRM! :D
DarkGalaxy

Post by DarkGalaxy »

RRM, don't use vaseline!! It contains petroleum... not good for your skin!!

http://www.theorganicmakeupcompany.com/ ... metics.asp
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Yes, i know, but its the only 'fatty thing' that stays on my skin all day.
Seth

Post by Seth »

RRM wrote:Yes, i know, but its the only 'fatty thing' that stays on my skin all day.
What happens if you don't use anything to put on your face? Does it get very dry?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

I only use it just above my cheek bones, next to my eyes. I used to get a lot of sun (did a lot of windsurfing) and thats where I always got sunburned. I guess as a result its the only spot on my face that is dry. With the vaseline its not.
The most upper layer of the skin is a layer of dead skin cells. And its not nearly as bad when that fat on your skin contains bad chemicals compared to non-fat stuff. Thats because the fat just 'stays' on your skin, where chemicals from any moisturizer, lotion or potion get absorbed into the skin.