alternatives to shampoo, deodorant, lip balm, soap??????

Make up, cream, skin issues, dental issues, dental hygiene, shampoo, dandruff...
Biev
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by Biev »

Thanks Oscar, that's what I was thinking too... I'd like to try again after Christmas. Maybe the dryness is partly due to my awful tap water... but I can't afford a filter. I'm on a really tight budget, sales aren't doing so great these days (-_-);

For lip balm, I put my coconut oil in the fridge just long enough for it to solidify (I guess where most of you live it's probably already solid in the jar anyway) and I cut a stick out of it, and wrap it in cling wrap and keep it in the fridge, and that's my chapstick. It's the only thing my husband doesn't complain about when I kiss him, because it doesn't leave grease on his lips ;o) It works fine, smells good, doesn't really have a taste, and doesn't leave a coat of grease on my lips that I'll end up nibbling on or licking off or something.
Biev

Post by Biev »

You know what's weird? Ever since I've started using shampoo again, the dandruff hasn't disappeared and my head is full of really painful spots. And I'm using baby shampoo... I'm wondering if there's something in it that my head really doesn't like. I'll try your tricks, Christina.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Yes, thats why i never let the shampoo touch my scalp (just my hair), as i always get a reaction.
Biev

Post by Biev »

Ohhh... Why didn't I think of that? Stupid habits ^.^;;

I've noticed that my head got used to being shampooed less often. Back when I used it every day, if I missed a day my hair looked horrible. Sounds like a drug addiction ;o)
Gerard

shampoo substitute

Post by Gerard »

I have not used shampoo in several years...

I use oil when it is dry (coconut or walnut) and a type of diluted clay in water...I think it is called pascalite; my natural-foods shop has it-- to clean my hair otherwise.

My hair is medium-long and I mostly try to use a minimum of even the above on it.

Mostly I notice that the skin on my hands isn't so dried out and weathered looking from using detergents in my hair any more.
Gerard

shampoo alternative

Post by Gerard »

I also used to use a powdered dry shampoo called Bindi Hair Wash; it had a type of powder I think used in India called shikakai, which is a natural soapbark-style saponin-containing bark.

It was very mild and left my hair clean but not stripped of oil.

I mostly started using alternatives due to the current fashion in the U.S. of using aloe vera and other 'gels' as moisture agents in shampoos. One's hair is left slightly sticky, even while it is shiny from this, and it always seems to attract dirt/oil and trap it. It is hard to find a shampoo these days without aloe vera or other gels in it, and it is really rather annoying if one is still using these products.

However, I don't....
Biev

Post by Biev »

I don't know if that will interest you, but here is an update on my hair situation : ) I haven't used shampoo at all for... how long has it been, 8 months? I rinse my hair with water most days, I wash with a mix of egg yolk and lemon juice when it feels a little greasy, or rinse with water and apple cider vinegar if my head gets itchy or I get dandruff (which only happens after I use hair products - but I cave sometimes and use them anyway... when I go out. As long as I rinse it out right away it seems to be ok). When I go get a haircut, I tell them I'm allergic to shampoo, and they don't ever try to reason with me or sell me any products because my hair looks just fine as it is. It's nice and soft... and it smells good : )
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

:D
Gerard

shampoo

Post by Gerard »

I have changed (once again) because my scalp has gotten less oily over time since stopping using shampoos....

I use coconut oil to keep it from getting dry at the ends (I have longish hair) and just a bit of the shikakai powder (steeped in hot water and strained) with some fresh lemon juice once or twice a week.

The powder is like soapbark and I try not to get it on my scalp-- just the hair-- as I wash. Using hotter water helps dissolve off some of the coconut oil.

I saw this when I stopped using shampoo:
http://www.hlcconline.com/hair-loss-faq.shtml

and I have to say my hair has not had periods of sudden loss like it did before .... Usually I would see some (not normal) hair loss and invest in some products like Phyto brand shampoos because I would be alarmed... shampooing a lot iwth them as treatment... This always made it worse. In fact the Phyto line (very expensive, and with 'botanical' ingredients) is full of sodium laureth sulfate, which many believe causes hair loss/damage to the skin.

It's good to be free of that.
Iris

Post by Iris »

I use coconut shampoo. It's just saponified coconut oil and patchouli. I suits me well. Just make sure to wash it out realy good. Makes hair very soft :) And they have lots of other coconut stuff too. Bought it here: http://www.coconut-oils.net/index.php?c ... 272dadbf92 (This is for European customers, For the US it's http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/organ ... oducts.htm)

I don't use special toothpaste anymore, brushing with coconut oil does the trick just fine :wink: (it really works great!)
Cairidh

Post by Cairidh »

I use:
(I ask the shops for eggs and honey they throw away past their sell by date. They give me them for free so it doesn't affect the animals.)

Shampoo - raw eggs. Stir yolk and white together. Works wonderfully, removes anything from my hair even honey. I try to leave on for 5 minutes before I wash it off....but mustn't be long enough to let it dry or else I have to use more eggs to wash it off. I always use cold water because its good for your health, good for your hair, and if I used hot I would be a scrambled-egg-head.
Conditioner - coconut oil or honey (mix 1 part honey with 4 parts water). I put them on overnight, as long as possible, then wash off with eggs.
To treat damage - leave raw eggs on overnight or as long as possible. requires more eggs to wash them off.
Fragrance - I do herbal tea rinses. Although various herbs do have various benefits (chamomile, brings out blonde highlights, rosemary makes hair stronger, marigold makes hair softer, nettle treats damaged hair, sage treats gray hair, catnip treats split ends and makes cats love you), I do it purely for the smell. I miss my herbal shampoos. (I thought they were natural because I don't react to them unlike "conventional" shampoo, until I read the labels and found they're still full of chemicals). They made my hair-washing experience smell delicious and my hair always smelt of flowers....I can't give that up, I'm addicted.

My hair has never felt so lovely as it does now. The coconut moisturises, the honey makes my hair smooth and soft. The eggs make it shiny and curly. I would never go back to using shampoo. I do plan to try Cassia for its thickening properties (it has similar effects to henna but without the red colouring)

For teeth -
Oil Pulling. Swish oil around your mouth all between your teeth for 10 minutes. It's hard at first but get's easy with practise. The oil attracts any dirt/particles and then you spit out the oil. It makes your teeth whiter as well as cleaning them. You can use olive oil, sesame oil or coconut oil. Though I guess Wai-ans (Aloha), shouldn't use sesame. Then I brush with just water. If I wasn't vegan I would chew bones as I believe that is the best way to clean teeth but I can't do that.

Soap.....none but I soak in clay baths....and use a far infra red sauna and have cold showers.

Lip balm - coconut oil
fictor

Post by fictor »

Cairidh wrote: For teeth -
Oil Pulling.
My teeth problem started when I began oil pulling.
It might have been a coincidence, but still, take care of your teeth,
especially since you are vegan (Weston Price found vegans to have
high risk of tooth decay, cavities and degenerative disease)
Cairidh

Post by Cairidh »

Goodness, I've never heard of that before. All the testimonies I've read spoke of improved dental health. Thankyou for telling me.
It makes my gums stronger but I've no idea whether its affecting my teeth.