teeth

Make up, cream, skin issues, dental issues, dental hygiene, shampoo, dandruff...
spring
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

teeth

Post by spring »

I've had many teeth problems in the last six months or so. My teeth have never been the best, as I have quite a number of fillings (done as a child). Since I've been in Korea, part of one tooth fell off leaving a sharp jagged edge that cut the inside of my mouth. Apart from that, that tooth has never given me problems in the past. The inside of my mouth is became calloused over this part and this problem doesn't bother me any more.

But the other day, the porcelain crown and filling fell off one of my bottom teeth, the one next to the molars (a portion had fallen off 10 years ago and I never bothered to do anythign for it because it didn't hurt me or interfere with chewing) leaving a very sensitive nerve root exposed. I have been getting intermittent bouts of nerve pain that last an excruciating ten minutes at a time, sometimes related to eating, sometimes not (in the early hours of the morning). They are becoming more frequent so that I have started to do somethign about it - see the dentist.

I am wondering what in my diet could have caused this? I do have much sweet food - I add a lot of honey to the fruit salads I have because by itself the fruit isn't sweet enough and I munch on a lot of dried fruit - I don't really like juices - and the dried fruit is very sweet (actually too sweet).

I avoid things like pineapple which have digestive enzymes, but I have been having a lot of papaya (dried) which I think have digestive enzymes.

Could these sort of foods be causing the teeth problems?

I have to go to have nerve treatment and a filling/implant for the first time in like 15 years.
RRM
Administrator

Re: teeth

Post by RRM »

Its the acids that damage the top protective layer on your teeth. So, make very sure to consume very much-ripe fruits only. Better too much ripe than too little.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Dentistry 101... :D

This is what a tooth looks like:

The outside layer, the enamel is very tough. The inner layer, the dentin is relatively soft. When you have a crown, the enamel is taken off, and the crown is placed over the prepared dentin.

The pH in one's mouth varies. pH is a measure of acidity/alkalinity. If the pH drops below 5.5 or so, the outer layer of enamel starts to dissolve, demineralize. Given time, healthy saliva will bring the pH back above the critical demineralisation level, so the enamel can repair itself. This process normally takes 2-3 hrs. Usually when you eat something, the pH already drops to below the critical level (more or less, depending on what you eat/drink).
The trick is to keep the demineralisation/remineralisation ratio in balance.
I'm not sure what influence the Wai Diet has on teeth though, it might well be that they become tougher, or that the remineralisation is faster.

Anyway, if your crown fell off, then the softer (also more porous) dentin is exposed to the mouth environment, which will irritate the nerve, hence the pain.

Personally I don't think that the problems are due to the diet, but I could be wrong. A crown falling off is not that uncommon if the crown wasn't that well made. Part of the tooth falling of is more weird, but it can have several causes. If the edge is still sharp, ask the dentist to soften it with a rubber wheel, if he's not making a filling for it.

I'd suggest stop using toothpaste, and not to brush teeth too soon after eating something. Brushing once per day should be enough, but it should be done well.
Last edited by Oscar on Mon 30 Jan 2006 12:50, edited 2 times in total.
spring

Post by spring »

Thanks for the diagram and the information about the structure of teeth, Oscar. Yes, I shouldn't be too hasty to blame Wai's diet as I do eat munchfood as well. Actually now that I think of it I have strong coffee from Starbucks everyday and I pour like a tablespoon of sugar into it. I didn't think the sugar was that bad because it's fructose and glucose, maybe this has something to do with it? ... It could be the acids in fruits but I didn't think I eat much unripe fruit ....- I was thinking sugar because I eat a lot of sugary foods, fruit, honey, table sugar, sweet dried fruit ... and a few dental sites talk about prolonged contact with sugar - milk bottle tooth decay in babies - (and also the role of acids) in tooth decay ...

I have noticed when I eat much pineapple, dried or fresh, after several days I get toothache in my molars. I stop eating the pineapple and the toothache goes away. I thought it was the digestive enzymes in pineapple esting away at the flesh. There is a flap of tissue above the molars and food debris often gets trapped there as well - this is a frequent cause of infection and pain in the molar region (I suppose this gets put down to 'erupting molars' by dentists, hence the molar extraction that follows such a diagnosis).

I was thinking the opposite to you, Oscar. I normally brush my teeth only once a day, in the morning before I eat anything but since I've had this problem, I've been thinking I should brush more often, perhaps three times a day, to remove the acids or whatever is clinging to the teeth and eroding the enamel away. I thought I should make a point of brushing at night before sleeping to give my teeth a rest from being attacked by acids until the morning when I start eating again.

I really want to avoid dental work if I can help it - the dentist recommended removal of the tooth, root canal treatment (involving several visits to extirpate the nerve and other pulp contents) plus an implant to replace the tooth - which sounds really drastic, and I did okay for many years without dental treatment even though the filling had fallen off and I had a huge cavity and only a partial tooth ...

So I've started taking a course of antibiotics - Augmentin, I prefer Cephalexin but it's not available here - a broad-spectrum antibiotic to kill the mouth bacteria and get rid of the infection. I took a tablet last night and this morning and I didn't have an episode of pain which I normally get in the morning - so I will keep my fingers crossed.

I think my pain is due to infection of the base of my tooth, the nerve, the pulp and now a little bit of the gum - because I've had the exposed nerve for many years and it hasn't played up before.

I will take RRM's advice of making sure all my fruit is ripe as possible, and I will take care to avoid acids in other foods as much as possible, cut down on munchfood sugar, perhaps get rid of the dried fruit (figs, papaya, mango, sultanas) - and hope this resolves it and prevents it from happening again (because it was awfully painful - I kept thinking of "Marathon Man').

I switched to a fluoride toothpaste when the problem first reared its head some months ago - I had been using a herbal one before which didn't have fluoride in it (I think - I can't read Korean) - and the water in Korea is not fluoridated (although I'm not sure about this either) - and the water in Australia is fluoridated and Australians suffer a lower incidence of tooth decay than other non-fluoridated countries, and people attribute this to fluoridation ... but I have heard about the dangers of fluoride although I am undecided about the this ....

I agree with you that the crown fell probably fell off because it was weak material, porcelain, and it only lasts about six years - gold and mercury amalgam lasts longer - but I think eventually most fillings will fall away given enough time - I prefer porcelain though to longer-lasting mercury because of the 'purported' dangers of mercury (mixed information about that too) and gold looks too noticeable in my case (and composite filling releases hormones (due to a phenol?)).

I will see how I go and if it goes away with the antibiotics I will put it down to a flare-up of infection and take care of the diet more and just wait and see.
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

Hi Spring,
For me this diet is very much on the sweet side just by itsef. My typical morning fruit salad consists of a mushed banana(with fork),a pear and or apple. Add to that olive oil and one or 2 egg yolks. The fruits are really ripe and there is no need to add any honey or sugar. It's something to get used to maybe...I used to crave pasteries and cakes now I crave olives and can eat about 10 like candy! (my munch food because they are too salty for the diet!)It's a matter of time and your taste-buds will change. The more you follow the diet the quicker these changes happen I think.
Isn't honey, even the raw kind not really raw? I mean it's bees throw-up! It's digested food...
I thought I should make a point of brushing at night before sleeping
Yes, absolutly right. Once a day before sleeping. Brush for 5 minutes. I use (since 2 weeks)water that has a piece of cristal rock salt dilluting in it. I don't know yet what it's worth but it feels clean and nice when I wake up!
I hope your teeth get better but I'm a bit skeptical about any antibiotic...
Good luck.
"You cannot do something you don't know IF you keep on doing what you know"
F.M. Alexander
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Since we eat/drink very frequently with this diet, chances are that the teeth are in a constant state of demineralisation. Olive oil, like all vegetable oils, is mildly acidic, so maybe the use of oil with sugars dampens the total acidity. This is just a theory. ;) But RRM has been doing this diet for 10 years, with an almost constant intake of sugars, so if anyone would have badly eroded teeth, it should be him. While this doesn't seem the case, we have to consider that there are other factors in play. Possible influences (again, purely theory):
1. Oil dampens sugar/acid
2. Remineralisation by saliva works faster/better
3. Teeth grow actually stronger (as our nails grow stronger)
4. De-/remineralisation ratio is in balance; remineralisation during the night works well

Plaque is a mixture of food debris, saliva, and bacteria. If plaque remains on a tooth (usually in more difficult to reach niches), the bacteria produce (lactic) acid, which demineralizes the tooth. We have to make sure there isn't any plaque on our teeth for a longer (days) period of time.

About brushing/toothpaste: with brushing/flossing, the quality is far more important than the quantity, so if you make sure that your dental hygiene is perfect once a day, that should be sufficient. If not, then more times could help. Considering the use of toothpaste, it might be good to know that (almost) every toothpaste contains an abrasive. If our teeth are in a constant state of demineralisation, which means the outer layer of enamel is soft and porous, this abrasive will have more impact and 'brush' away more enamel. Besides, like I've mentioned in another thread, the use of toothpaste hasn't been proven yet. Except for the freshness it brings through the additives. ;)
The question of course is: "Is it safe?". ;)

Concerning your crown: actually porcelain is several times harder than our enamel, so that is not the cause of the crown falling off. Usually there are 2 possibilities:
1. The crown preparation (the drilling to make the remainder of the tooth into a stump to be capped by the crown) has been too convex. Try imagining the difference between a triangle and a square. Fitting a cap on a triangle is much easier, but it also means it can come off much easier.
2. The crown 'leaked'. The crown didn't close off on all sides, or didn't fit perfectly, so plaque could stay and rot away the tooth material.
Basically a six year prognosed lifespan of a crown is ridiculous, because, if well made (and well cleaned), it could last a lifetime.

Remember, pain is not bad, it's just a signal of our body that something is wrong and has to be taken care of. That doesn't mean that if there's no pain, that everything is OK. Like you've noticed, tooth problems can take years to develop, and not having problems for years isn't a guarantee that nothing is going on.
spring

Post by spring »

Follow-up: I am on my fourth day of antibiotics and I haven't had an episode of pain since I started taking them (whereas before I started to take them I had paralyzing episodes of shooting nerve pain in my mouth which were getting more and more frequent). Which is a great result because it looks like I won't have to see the dentist again. Although I will keep my fingers crossed and take a few more days of antibiotics to make sure the infection is all gone.

I'm not sure but I think the Starbucks coffee might have something to do with it. It got really bad after I started to drink a lot of it. (Although it could have been any number of things of course). Even though the pain has gone, my teeth feel really sensitive and brittle, like something is eating away at them - and this feeling has been with me since the start of the bad flare-ups. I've stopped drinking this coffee and hopefully the funny sensation of the teeth 'aching' or being very sensitive ('cause it's not actually painful) goes away soon. So it's not just the big cavity I have, it's all my teeth - it feels like they're being attacked by something - and the cavity was the most vulnerable part of my dentition and I suppose that's why the problem chose to manifest itself there.

Hence my worry that the original problem, something in my diet eating away at the teeth, is still present.

I produce a normal amount of saliva, although I typically drink tons of water with a munchfood meal. Perhaps the water is diluting the neutralizing effect of the saliva? I always feel thirsty when I eat munchfood and this drives me to drink lots of water.

I tried brushing at night but it didn't help with the sensitive feeling of my teeth, my teeth have a raw, denuded sensation, like they're being etched with acids continually (and there's nothing to cover them) - which they probably have been - but the source of these acids? and this feeling doesn't abate after brushing - it's even worse then.

I am starting to think that perhaps plaque is a protective thing - provides a coating - a natural film - over the teeth - to reduce the action of acids and other corrosive substances on teeth ... When I brush, I am very thorough and make sure to brush every surface, even in the nooks and hard to reach places, plus I brush over my gums near the base of the teeth to sweep up the plaque in this area. I could be making things worse for myself unwittingly? By getting rid of the plaque? Because after brushing, my teeth feel quite sensitive and kind of dry and brittle after this problem started (as I've mentioned above).

Yes Oscar, you are right about the filling and crown - they probably didn't fit very well and broke away - but my dentist did warn me that the porcelain crown wasn't a longlasting type of crown or filling, compared to mercury amalgam, so I wasn't really miffed when the crown fell off.

I've read dental sites that say even with the longlasting strong materials that withstand chewing pressures, like gold, they have a finite lifespan as well, something like 20-40 years from memory.

The pain is not wrong and it's certainly useful - it's a message telling me there's something wrong, so I stopped depending on just painkillers, which only masks the problem (though they did give me some much-needed short-term relief) - and I started taking antibiotics - to attack the root cause of the problem.

I think I made the right choice than going for dental treatment right then and there when I visited the dentist after a really bad flareup - because that the pain was a sign that infection had taken hold - and having dental surgery would have made things worse - cutting into infected tissue and pulling out the tooth - like throwing out the baby with the bathwater - the equivalent of removing one's fingernail because one got a whitlow in the finger (infection in the nailfold).

My friend had a similar problem and had just had a new gold crown put in (by the same dentist) the week before my teeth started to play up badly but she had to endure a week's worth of visiting the dentist and getting almost daily root canal treatment and her gums blew up so badly at one point near the end of the treatment that the dentist cut away this swollen bit of gum tissue - perhaps she might have saved herself the trouble if she had taken a course of antibiotics before she had had any kind of dental work?

I don't take antibiotics easily, Corinne, but in this case I think I needed them because my problem has been alleviated by taking them, although my teeth feel continually on edge. I am positive there was a bacterial infection in the cavity and it was starting to spread to the gum. Only antibiotics can stop this. Or cutting everything out - but this latter step was too drastic I felt.
spring

Post by spring »

I just read your post more carefully, Oscar, and you might be onto something when you talk about toothpaste containing some kind of abrasive - that could explain the worsening of the sensation I get, after brushing - by the same token, wouldn't brushing by itself be an abrasive action?

I might try not brushing - maybe rinsing or something - maybe with salt water, like corinne suggested. Because this raw feeling of my teeth is definitely worse after brushing (with toothpaste).

Native people living on islands secluded from western civilization like the ones Weston Price studied generally didn't brush their teeth I'm assuming , well, at least not in the western way, maybe a rough going over with twigs, if they did at all. And Price said their teeth were in fine shape, hardly a cavity in anyone he saw.

More about fillings and crowns. What you said about porcelain being a hard material, Oscar, just made me think of something... I think gold is actually a soft material and that could be why it lasts longer .. it could conform itself better than a less soft material, like porcelain - during chewing, allowing itself to withstand the pressure of chewing better without breaking apart or breaking off, like my porcelain crown did - because as you say porcelain is harder than enamel and if we go just by the hardness of the material, porcelain should last longer than what it does in general. Of course fit is a factor - and the malleability of gold might allow it to fit better than the less malleable porcelain, and hence speculatively another reason for gold fillings lasting longer. Because pure gold I think is a relatively soft material - you can bend it into all sorts of shapes easily - well, I did this to a gold ring when I was younger, I bent it out of shape, and somebody told me that that was the reason.

So perhaps porcelain is TOO hard to work as a longlasting filling?

My nails aren't the best too, always splitting easily, can never get them to grow long - I haven't noticed they've improved with the diet - staying about the same. But it could just be me - because my sister's never had a cavity in her life and her nails hardly ever split.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Yes, brushing in itself is also an abrasive action, but toothpaste makes it much worse. Also, I would recommend using a soft, multi-tufted toothbrush. I know Lactona has a 4-row version, but other companies too.

Aside from the 'normal' cleaning, I would recommend the Bass Method. Place the hairs under a 45° angle on the gum/tooth border, then gently massage/rotate using very small movements.

45°
:)
nick

Post by nick »

Oscar wrote:Since we eat/drink very frequently with this diet, chances are that the teeth are in a constant state of demineralisation. Olive oil, like all vegetable oils, is mildly acidic, so maybe the use of oil with sugars dampens the total acidity. This is just a theory. ;) But RRM has been doing this diet for 10 years, with an almost constant intake of sugars, so if anyone would have badly eroded teeth, it should be him. While this doesn't seem the case, we have to consider that there are other factors in play. Possible influences (again, purely theory):
1. Oil dampens sugar/acid
2. Remineralisation by saliva works faster/better
3. Teeth grow actually stronger (as our nails grow stronger)
4. De-/remineralisation ratio is in balance; remineralisation during the night works well
After realizing that my oranges that I use to juice weren't really ripe enough, I noticed how acidic they tasted compared to ripe to overripe oranges. The juice tastes much cooler and calmer compared to the acidic bite of unripe oranges. This is a huge difference, because I've noticed that my saliva is less thicker. For the first six months on this diet, I've noticed that my saliva has been thicker. I think this is due to the acidity of the oranges. Also, I have noticed that my post nasal drip has lessened, which produced excessive phelgm, which could have been a response to the acidity. I have noticed that my mouth is less acidic.

However, my upper gums, that are above my teeth are somewhat 'acid burned', sore and one of them has a cut.

The dentist told me that I have some erosion and I can see it on my two front teeth. There is some white discoloration at the base of the two teeth. I'm more banana's, which have no citric acid, and making sure my oranges are always ripe/a little overipe. Will this heal back I take it?

Also, each morning I have noticed how much cleaner my mouth and teeth are. It's amazing.
Plaque is a mixture of food debris, saliva, and bacteria. If plaque remains on a tooth (usually in more difficult to reach niches), the bacteria produce (lactic) acid, which demineralizes the tooth. We have to make sure there isn't any plaque on our teeth for a longer (days) period of time.

Is the Bass Method for those hard to reach places? Could you explain it a little more in terms of the theory behind it? Teeth is my new interest!
About brushing/toothpaste: with brushing/flossing, the quality is far more important than the quantity, so if you make sure that your dental hygiene is perfect once a day, that should be sufficient.
Is flossing safe and if yes/no then why? I do it everynight.
Besides, like I've mentioned in another thread, the use of toothpaste hasn't been proven yet. Except for the freshness it brings through the additives. ;)
The question of course is: "Is it safe?". ;)
Could you explain a little more on this. Its sound very interesting!
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

nick wrote:Is the Bass Method for those hard to reach places? Could you explain it a little more in terms of the theory behind it? Teeth is my new interest!
For some of them, yes. The possible problem areas in the mouth are:
1. the tooth - smooth surfaces and chewing area (don't know the english term for this)
2. the sulcus gingivalis ("pocket" between tooth and gum)
3. between the teeth

ad 1. not too difficult to clean with brush and tongue
ad 2. Bass method - if plaque remains in the sulcus, it can harden and become tartar, which is much more difficult to remove. The gum will be inflamed and the attachment between gum and tooth will recede. Eventually the bone in which the tooth resides will resorb, ultimately resulting in loss of the tooth.
ad 3. floss or toothpicks (the triangular kind). Carefully use small movements to "scrub" the surfaces.
nick wrote:Is flossing safe and if yes/no then why? I do it everynight.
I think it's safe, as long as you're careful. Use normal floss and not the 'sandpaper' kind.
nick wrote:
Oscar wrote:Besides, like I've mentioned in another thread, the use of toothpaste hasn't been proven yet. Except for the freshness it brings through the additives. ;)
Could you explain a little more on this. Its sound very interesting!
Things that toothpaste might do:
1. abrasive
2. fluoride
3. other vague positive effects
4. 'fresh' taste in mouth

ad 1. Yes, toothpaste is abrasive. But do we need that kind of abrasiveness for a good dental hygiene? It has never been proven that we do (know that tartar cannot removed by this). On the contrary, it has been proven, that abrasive toothpaste combined with an aggressive method of brushing, can damage the teeth.
With our diet we have to be extra careful, hence I would recommend brushing without toothpaste.

ad 2. As you know, mineral uptake is debatable, and scientists are still not in agreement whether (extra) fluoride is good for the teeth or not. People opposed to fluoride argue it's poisonous (slightly more toxic than lead), and only came into view to facilitate (and making money of) disposing industrial toxic waste. It is important to understand that there are two different types of fluoride. The naturally occurring form of fluoride, calcium fluoride, is not toxic, but this form of fluoride is not used to fluoridate water, and is not used in toothpaste.

ad 3. For instance: making sensitive teeth less sensitive... One has to wonder if the medicin isn't worse than the cause, and of course nothing is being done to the cause.

ad 4. Yep, it works! ;) Not sure what kind of additives are used though...
Bambi726

Post by Bambi726 »

Hello, gentleman:) If you have an interest in teeth (specifically the effects of diet upon teeth) then "Nutrition and Physical Degeneration" by Dr. Weston A. Price, DDS would be a must-read. This book was extremely intriguing to me. Oscar, does "mineral uptake" mean "re-mineralization"? The "healing" of the teeth? There are some wonderful pictures of that in "Nutrition and Physical Degeneration." (meaning the concept shouldn't be "controversial" at all - pictures are good proof of this occuring, I would think..;))The book was written in the 1930's, but as far as I'm concerned, it should be on the reading list for every prospective modern dentist - the book sort of throws Wai and RRM's calcium-osteoporosis theory for a loop, though (In that Dr. Price studies many cultures where the prime source of energy is milk products that have wonderful bone structure, no cavities and no other diseases)- perhaps meaning that there is more to milk than just whether it is drank or not - it may be whether it is pasteurized, ultra-pasteurized or raw, or whether the animals are fed their natural diets and allowed to roam free or are unnaturally cooped up and fed corn, soy, dead animal meals, hormones, antibiotics, refined sugar and flour...and God knows whatever else! The majority of milk drank in the world today, unfortunately, is the latter, and ultra-pastuerized so that it is a completely dead food with poor nutrition anyway and is an absolute burden to our bodies. Raw, organic milk from grass-fed animals is another story, in my opinion.

A site to check out that has some interesting alternative ideas about dental care is www.perfect-prescription.com. They sell a product called "toothsoap" that I've been using for the last 6 weeks or so, and I've got to say I would never go back to "normal" toothpaste. The only abrasion you need to worry about is how hard you are brushing with your toothbrush, because this toothsoap is just pure saponified coconut, olive, and palm oils, with essential oils for flavoring. It is supposed to allow easier "re-mineralization" of the teeth (as long as one's diet contains the correct elements to remineralize - namely calcium and phosphorus - our enamel's main composition is calcium hydroxy phosphate) because it doesn't coat the teeth with anything (most pastes coat the teeth with glycerin). It doesn't contain fluoride - which is a definite perk in my opinion. I have pits in my teeth caused by over-fluoridation from when I was a child - who knows if fluoride isn't what caused my thyroid problems (auto-immune, and now most likely hypothyroid - fluoride affects the balance and metabolism of thyroid hormones) and other health problems as well? Luckily, my "fluoridosis" doesn't include the typical mottled and discolored appearance so my teeth look quite normal as long as one's eye isn't within a couple inches of my mouth :) - there is a pit in one of my front teeth and two pits in my molars, which causes a lot of sensitivity in the molars. Fluoride is a completely unneccesary poison in my opinion, and the people who decided to add fluoride to public water sources should be charged criminally - they know it's a toxin that causes damage to the willpower center of the brain (the frontal lobes) - perhaps they want a population of sheep?

So the "toothsoap" allows remineralization of the teeth because this occurs through our mineral-rich (when we have a mineral-rich diet..) saliva, which has greater access to the teeth when they are not coated with glycerin. Somehow, it has also helped reduce the sensitivity of my teeth, though it seems that it would make them more sensitive because there is no "protective" coating, this has not been the case. My gums are a healthier pink and more sturdy feeling, as well. I'm really enjoying this stuff. :D As I posted somewhere before, the people who make the toothsoap also have a booklet about how to best care for one's teeth with an alternative view of dental care - I hope to purchase it in the next month or so, and I'll share any pertinent information with you all - I know rinsing with water often while you are eating an acidic meal is one of their suggestions. This, obviously, helps minimize the damage that acids do to our teeth.

I know I've stated much of the above before, but teeth are also something I am passionate about! ;) Here's an interesting letter to every member of congress that was completely ignored...meaning there's some truth to it! ;) It's by a Dr. Gerard F. Judd, PhD, Chemist - a proponent and major researcher on tooth decay, tooth health, and natural tooth care: http://gerardjudd.com/summation.htm

Nice to know our congress ignores things like this...by the people, for the people my arse!

"They keep talking about drafting a constitution for Iraq. Why don't we just give them ours? It was written by a lot of real smart guys, it's worked for over 200 years, and we're not using it anymore." ~George Carlin, Comedian

~Amber
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Interesting stuff, Amber! :)

It seems I could do with an update on some knowledge, although my recommendations still stand. As Dr. Judd indicates, rinsing is helpful, but plaque still needs to be removed. Maybe that toothsoap works, or maybe the fact alone of not using regular fluoride toothpaste already accounts for most, if not all, beneficial effects?
The "mineral uptake" I mentioned in my previous post had indeed to do with the re-mineralisation of teeth. This happens mostly during the night. The theory is/was, that fluoride would ensure stronger enamel during this process. Image

Keep us posted on the toothsoap. :)

Well, time for Image
Bambi726

Post by Bambi726 »

Haha, I love all your little animations, Oscar! About the plaque, in Weston Price's book, he met quite a few tribes that didn't really use any kind of tooth cleansing mechanism, in fact some had a layer of green slime...covering straight, beautiful, cavity-free teeth - so there is obviously some jewel of information that we are missing.

I stopped using fluoride toothpaste when I learned that fluoride could interfere with thyroid function, about 2-3 years ago, so I'm quite sure that the difference in my mouth health is due to the toothsoap - it also feels different after you brush...I guess more smooth, but not the slimey kind of smooth that I would get with normal toothpaste with glycerin. A truly smooth, clean feeling like there is nothing between my teeth and tongue when I run them over my teeth. I'll keep you posted about the toothsoap - I haven't gone to the dentist in quite a long time, and have never had any cavities in my 22 years (though I did need braces, so my teeth weren't naturally straight), though last time I got x-rayed, about 3 years ago, I had two areas in my mouth that looked like cavities were developing, but I haven't had any problems yet, and those areas feel much better at this time than they did when they told me that I had two prospective cavities, so perhaps my teeth have "remineralized" ? All those egg yolks certainly don't hurt! ;)

~Amber
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

An interesting article about vitamin C and teeth, also from the Weston Price site: http://www.westonaprice.org/healthissue ... brush.html.