Are Grapeseed and jojoba Oil Okay?

Make up, cream, skin issues, dental issues, dental hygiene, shampoo, dandruff...
Angie
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Are Grapeseed and jojoba Oil Okay?

Post by Angie »

Hello,

I've been doing the sample diet with munch foods (oops) for a month now. My face has been getting used to having nothing on it except oils... I've found that more difficult than changing how I eat. It's worth it though.javascript:emoticon('8)')

My face is covered in tiny bumps, subtle sandy bumps, tiny blackheads etc. It's always been this way. Then I usually have 2 or 3 big ones at the same time. I'd call that moderate, but very sensitive...

I reacted to sesemae oil, and it smells strongly. I tried coconut oil, and it tended to dry out my skin after a few days.

I've been using refined grapeseed oil for 2 weeks, with fantastic results. What I want to know if is there's anything really bad about it that I should be aware of. I also want something a little thicker.

Apparently jojoba oil acts like our sebum, and as such, disolves excess sebum, thus helping acne. Has anyone tried it?

A few of the Burts Bees products are within the rules of this diet. Has anyone had luck with those?

I live in a cold, dry climate, so I need something to put on my skin.

Thanks!
RRM
Administrator

Re: Are Grapeseed and jojoba Oil Okay?

Post by RRM »

Angie wrote:I've been using refined grapeseed oil for 2 weeks, with fantastic results. What I want to know if is there's anything really bad about it that I should be aware of.
Grapeseeds contain toxins, so they must be in the oil too, i guess.
Apparently jojoba oil acts like our sebum, and as such, disolves excess sebum
Really? where did you get that?
(I dont see how something sebum-like on my skin would disolve sebum trapped in my pores)
there are some threads about jojoba oil in the old forums, i believe.
Biev

Post by Biev »

Ah, I read that too somewhere... *looks for it again*

Here you go : http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_g ... 2603000465

It's quite long, but here's the part you want :

"Jojoba oil is similar to, and miscible with, sebum, which is secreted by human sebaceous glands to lubricate and protect skin and hair. When sebum production decreases due to age, pollutants, or environmental stresses, jojoba oil can be used to replicate sebum oil."

Personally I don't see how adding extra sebum to your skin would be a good thing if you have acne, since it means you produce too much already... It's also high in vitamin E (though now I'm looking for the detailed nutrition facts and they seem to have vanished off the internet)
Angie

jojoba oil

Post by Angie »

When you clean up from a few hours of Oil Painting you use mineral spirits or turpentine; another oil-based substance. Turpentine won't 'add' oil to a paint brush. It will act as a solvent, dissolving the paint, thus cleaning and conditioning the brush.

I assume the jojoba oil would act the same way for the face. It could, in theory dissolve sebum trapped in the pores. This might help with blackheads...?

I read something like that in the Free Acne Book; where Wai suggested it's ideal to find something to put on your skin that is as similar to natural sebum as possible. The natural sebum-like substance will ideally protect the skin from dehydration.

Those substances are (according to random internet reading, and a natural cosmetics book from the 1970's) lanolin, mink oil, jojoba oil, and coconut oil. Lanolin's good for dried feet, but I wouldn't use it on my face. I tried lol. I don't know about the vitamin e content of any of those substances.

It's refined grapeseed oil. Is it possible the toxins are 'cooked' out in the refining process?

Yes, Biev that's exactly the site I read it on... What do you use on your skin now?
Biev

Post by Biev »

I don't need anything right now, but I used coconut oil on my cheeks when they had dry patches from using an acne product. That worked very well. It's low in vitamin E (0.09 mg per 100g). I wish I could find detailed nutrition facts for jojoba again so you could compare, but I've just wasted 20 minutes trying to google it (-_-); Why is there so much more advertisement than information on the web?
Angie

Post by Angie »

Hi Biev,

Please don't waste 20 minutes googling on my behalf... I've tried to find it too. I think the best way is to contact a company that sells it, via the phone. I will do that sometime.

What sort of climate do you live in? I found when I was traveling in the east coast, I didn't need any oils and cremes at all. It was nice :)
Biev

Post by Biev »

Ha, well I had things on my mind, so it gave me something to do while I juggled with my thoughts : P

I live south of Florida right now, so my skin doesn't get dry, but when I lived in Quebec it did, every winter. Since I might be moving back, I'll take my oil with me ;o)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Biev wrote:Ah, I read that too somewhere... *looks for it again*

Here you go : http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_g ... 2603000465

It's quite long, but here's the part you want :

"Jojoba oil is similar to, and miscible with, sebum, which is secreted by human sebaceous glands to lubricate and protect skin and hair. When sebum production decreases due to age, pollutants, or environmental stresses, jojoba oil can be used to replicate sebum oil."
Ah, but that does not say it disolves the trapped sebum in your skin.
It just confirms what we say: the excess oil is a reaction to dehydration of the skin (to counteract it). Putting fat on the skin will decrease oil production as it has the same protective effect.
However, putting it on your skin does not decrease acne as it does not decrease the sebum production, which is different from the oil produced by the skin.
Acne is caused by sebum trapped in the skin, not by excess oil production.
RRM
Administrator

Re: jojoba oil

Post by RRM »

Angie wrote:When you clean up from a few hours of Oil Painting you use mineral spirits or turpentine; another oil-based substance. Turpentine won't 'add' oil to a paint brush. It will act as a solvent, dissolving the paint, thus cleaning and conditioning the brush.

I assume the jojoba oil would act the same way for the face. It could, in theory dissolve sebum trapped in the pores. This might help with blackheads...?
Well, i dont think that is the case, and it is not claimed in the Biev's quote.
If the jojoba oil would, it would mean that it would be harmful to the skin, as it would disolve the protective layer. The result would be an increase in sebum production to restore that layer.
I read something like that in the Free Acne Book; where Wai suggested it's ideal to find something to put on your skin that is as similar to natural sebum as possible. The natural sebum-like substance will ideally protect the skin from dehydration.
Exactly, against dehydration.
Is it possible the toxins are 'cooked' out in the refining process?
no, cooking rather makes toxins more toxic.
Angie

Post by Angie »

Hello RRM, thank you for the information.

I've found the two websites with more information;

http://www.naturesgift.com/agora/car.htm

"Simmondsia californica (Wax)
Contains: protein, minerals, plant wax, myristic acid.
Uses: Mimics sebum, penetrates skin very rapidly, therefore not good for massage, but excellent for nourishing skin. Healing for inflamed skins, psoriasis, eczema, any sort of dermatitis. Can help control acne and oily skin or scalp since excess sebum actually dissolves in jojoba. Anti oxidant, may help extend the life of other oils. Used also for hair care. Useful for all skin types. Myristic Acid is anti-inflammatory, so this could be a good base oil for treating rheumatism and arthritis. Use a 10% dilution or full strength."

...and...

http://www.targetwoman.com/articles/jojoba-oil.html

"Since it blends well with the natural sebum of the skin, jojoba oil may be effective in curbing over production of sebum - a condition that occurs in oily skins that are prone to acne. Thus it balances the sebum levels in the skin. The anti-bacterial properties inhibit growth of acne-causing bacteria. Jojoba oil is often used as a massage oil since it gently unclogs blocked pores and lifts off grime and imbedded impurities."

Of course, both of these websites are advertizements for their products so I can't attest to the scientific validity, but that's where I got the idea from anyhow.
Angie

Post by Angie »

oh... by the way, I think this company would be willing to provide us with detailed vitamin e information about any of their oils...

http://www.oilsbynature.com/product-category/oils.htm

hmm... I'm imagining a stampede
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

"penetrates skin very rapidly, therefore not good for massage, but excellent for nourishing skin".
We dont need to 'nourish' the skin, as the skin gets nourished by the body, form the blood and lymphe.
We do need oil/fat for skin protection, on the outside, not for penetrating the skin.
"Healing for inflamed skins, psoriasis, eczema, any sort of dermatitis."
Ah, another miracle cream/ oil.
"Can help control acne and oily skin or scalp since excess sebum actually dissolves in jojoba."
Again, if it would dissolve sebum inside the sebum canals, it is bad for your skin.
"it balances the sebum levels in the skin."
So, the jojoba oil 'knows' what sebum is excess and should be dissolved?
Thats not possible. Oil 'knows' nothing. If the oil dissolves sebum inside your skin, its bad for your skin.
"The anti-bacterial properties inhibit growth of acne-causing bacteria."
The bacteria are not the root cause of acne. The bacteria are activated when the sebum gets trapped and the pressure increases.
Of course, both of these websites are advertizements for their products so I can't attest to the scientific validity
Yes, its advertizement indeed. They gotta sell.
Angie

Post by Angie »

RRM,

It looks like you are right. I reacted somewhat to the jojoba oil.. it caused excessive redness. I know bacteria isn't the cause, but controlling bacteria does -help- control acne, or those antibiotics wouldn't work.

They have worked for me the past. I once stayed on them for 2 whole months. I was tired all the time. I couldn't even go swing dancing (a favorite hobby) as I'd get dizzy. Skin looked great, couldn't go out. lol. Eventually it wasn't worth it, and I went off of them. I tried to re-start twice, and each time stopped within 2-3 days.

I'm more sensitive to medication, processed foods etc, than other people. It can be frustrating and inconvenient at times. It's hard to justify my choices to others, the choice being to abstain from both unless absolutely necessary.

Do you recommend fractionated or raw (solid) coconut oil? I have solid right now. The problem is I keep eating it.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Angie wrote:Do you recommend fractionated or raw (solid) coconut oil?
That depends on how it is made.
The problem is I keep eating it.
ha ha :D
Angie

Post by Angie »

The very best thing would be a completely odorless oil. Coconut is nice for the summer, but maybe not so good for the professional world. ha ha.
8)