Washing face - necessary?

Make up, cream, skin issues, dental issues, dental hygiene, shampoo, dandruff...
Mr. PC
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Washing face - necessary?

Post by Mr. PC »

I haven't used anything except water on my face for almost a year now. I shower about 2 or 3 times a week and this is the only time I even put water on my face.

I also put 100% petroleum jelly on my face and other parts that have acne at night. Or sometimes I'll use an Avocado/grape-seed/olive oil instead, but my morning it doesn't look greasy so I don't bother washing it off.

I'll also do this before a shower to protect my skin.

I usually don't smell but sometimes my hair gets greasy. I wash it once or twice a week with mild shampoo.

My question was, is there any reason to wash your face if it doesn't get dirt on it?
RRM
Administrator

Re: Washing face - necessary?

Post by RRM »

Mr. PC wrote:I haven't used anything except water on my face for almost a year now.
Thats totally ok.
I also put 100% petroleum jelly on my face and other parts that have acne
why?
is there any reason to wash your face if it doesn't get dirt on it?
to remove dead skin cells. they may sit on your face until they get rubbed or washed off.
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

Thanks RRM

I put the Petroleum on because I read (on the wai site somewhere) that putting on oil will stop the skin from producing it's own and thus stop acne. Because acne requires oil production + blocked pores. Eating well can stop the blocked pores so that it doesn't matter how much oil you produce but another route is to cover yourself in oil so that your body doesn't feel the need to produce it's own.

Did I get that right?

Wai said that 100% petroleum is actually ok even though it's a chemical, because it's too thick for most people to absorb. (however the occasional person will absorb it and can get acne).

It's worked for me in the past; I tried it on one side of my nose and now that side looks better. Although ideally I'd like to be 100% Wai I just haven't gotten it totally right yet, although I keep trying. I think partially my extreme low weight scares me and I'm afraid of hurting myself like I have in the past by not eating and becoming too weak; so when I interpret my junkie cravings as hunger I get really scared and give into them.

Anyways I don't know if the oil theory works with spot treating or what. I've had less success on my back but also I have a harder time reaching my back.

I've always had some sort of eczema or something on the side of my nose, and when I do occasionally wash it or shower there is white dead-skin flaking off but it's half stuck and doesn't really rub off unless I scrub it hard or rip it out with tweezers. My doctor gave me an anti-fungal which helped at first and than it became worse.

I also have olive oil which I'll use the night before a hot dat ;) but I don't want to all the time because of the high vitamin E.

I know other people use coconut oil but I can't find any.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Mr. PC wrote:I put the Petroleum on because I read (on the wai site somewhere) that putting on oil will stop the skin from producing it's own and thus stop acne.
Only if the skin is producing both too much oil and sebum.
Is your skin oily?
Because acne requires oil production + blocked pores.
Oil is not the same as sebum.
Sebum is much more solid and white. Oil is liquid and transparent.
Did I get that right?
Yes, to an extend, but when you take away the cause of acne (blocking the pores), the dehydration of the outer skin will stop so that the skin needs to produce less oil and sebum.
The production of sebum, however, is also very much hormonal,
whereas the production of oil is much more related to the dryness of the skin.
But yes, preventing dehydration is a good way to prevent a dry-skin-related-increase in the production of sebum and oil.
Wai said that 100% petroleum is actually ok even though it's a chemical, because it's too thick for most people to absorb. (however the occasional person will absorb it and can get acne).
It will not get absorbed, and therefore neither will the harmfull chemicals in the vaseline.
In general it will not, but yes, vaseline may clog your pores (which is not absorption), so dont put it on that part of your skin that is very much prone to acne (where much sebum is produced).
On those areas you better use a more liquid oil.
I'd like to be 100% Wai ... my extreme low weight scares me
then you just need to work on your energy intake.
You need to eat more often.
Still underweight? Then you need to ingest energy even more often.
I've had less success on my back
Not if you do the diet 100%.
I've always had some sort of eczema or something on the side of my nose, and when I do occasionally wash it or shower there is white dead-skin flaking off
Ah, ok, then the vaseline is perfect.
My doctor gave me an anti-fungal which helped at first and than it became worse
Exactly. just keep putting on the vaseline..
I know other people use coconut oil but I can't find any.
You can get it online.
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

Quote:
is there any reason to wash your face if it doesn't get dirt on it?

to remove dead skin cells. they may sit on your face until they get rubbed or washed off.
This morning, I found that the sides of my feet and near the ankle area contain some dead skin cells. Well, I do not scrub when I shower. Is it necessary to remove those dead skin cells? Don't they have any function at all? Aren't they like mucus, in the sense that they trap dust and prevent them from entering further into the skin layer? If you scrape away the dead skin cells, aren't you removing the protective layer? Just like when you brush after drinking OJ, you are removing a little of the teeth's protective layer, isn't it?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Kookaburra wrote:I found that the sides of my feet and near the ankle area contain some dead skin cells. Well, I do not scrub when I shower. Is it necessary to remove those dead skin cells?
For the skin cells underneath, its better if you scrub them off,
so that they 'can breath'.
this would naturally happen by walking barefoot.
Aren't they like mucus, in the sense that they trap dust and prevent them from entering further into the skin layer?
Dust, sand etc does not enter the skin.
Yes, scrubbing / peeling etc may remove too many cells,
if applied too harshly, or too often.
But if you see a layer of dead cells sitting on your skin, its safe to remove them.
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

Does the layer of dead skin act as a barrier to protect against environmental toxins from entering the true skin? Can bacteria survive in the dead skin or do they feed on it?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Kookaburra wrote:Does the layer of dead skin act as a barrier to protect against environmental toxins from entering the true skin?
Yes.
Can bacteria survive in the dead skin or do they feed on it?
Yes.
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

Quote:
Can bacteria survive in the dead skin or do they feed on it?

Yes.
Yes to both? Or yes they can survive in dead skin?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Both.
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

Hmmm, so the dead skin on the side of my nose, should I be scrubbing it off daily? usually after I remove the layer of dead skin, it's red underneath. Sometimes I try pulling it of with tweezers or using a sewing needle to scrape it off, anything else just kindof rubs it in more.

So now I have coconut oil, I usually scrape off the dead skin on the side of my nose, put oil on it, and than shower. But I don't use soap in the shower and I don't wash my face, but I will let the water hit my face, not enough to wash the oil off though.

Is this a good system?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Mr. PC wrote:Hmmm, so the dead skin on the side of my nose, should I be scrubbing it off daily? usually after I remove the layer of dead skin, it's red underneath. Sometimes I try pulling it of with tweezers or using a sewing needle to scrape it off, anything else just kindof rubs it in more.
I just use my fingertips.
You can leave them on, but thats an unpleasant look.
The redness is a reaction to the rubbing and soon gone.
Is this a good system?
Sure.
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

RRM wrote:
Mr. PC wrote: is there any reason to wash your face if it doesn't get dirt on it?
From the freeacnebook page 189:
Sebum is produced by the sebum
glands, in which the propioni bacteria play an essential role: they convert old, dead skin cells
into sebum
, so the bacteria are indirectly essential to keep the skin flexible, to protect it against
dehydration; to slow down the aging of your skin.
So if dead skin is converted into sebum, why is there a need to remove them?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Mr PC asked for a reason; a reason is not a need.
Dead skin cells are also removed by for instance clothes rubbing over skin when you move.
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

If that is the case, why is the title of the thread "Washing face - necessary?" A Necessity is a need.