applying oil before shower

Make up, cream, skin issues, dental issues, dental hygiene, shampoo, dandruff...
gracie
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

applying oil before shower

Post by gracie »

Vanity question...
I started putting a little walnut oil on my body before I jump in the shower. I'm assuming hot water is harsh on the skin and accelerates the aging process.

However -- if I apply oil, won't that discourage my body from producing its own oils? So if I keep applying it, am I actually drying out my skin?

confused..: )
RRM
Administrator

Re: applying oil before shower

Post by RRM »

gracie wrote:Vanity question...
I started putting a little walnut oil on my body before I jump in the shower. I'm assuming hot water is harsh on the skin and accelerates the aging process.
good thinking.
However -- if I apply oil, won't that discourage my body from producing its own oils? So if I keep applying it, am I actually drying out my skin?
confused..: )
If you apply too much oil versus the dehydrating effect of the water,
then your skin will produce less oil.
But thats unlikely, as its hard to sufficiently counteract dehydration;
over-doing is even harder.
And even if you over-do it, the balance (oil versus dehydration) will still be positive if you do it consistently.
gracie

Post by gracie »

Thank you!

I also have another question..If I want to prevent wrinkles as I get older, would it be beneficial to apply coconut oil/vaseline/etc. during the daytime, say, around my eyes? I tend towards more oily skin, so it doesn't seem necessary, but I also live in a cold/dry climate.

I'm still concerned that my natural oil production would slow down in those zones that I apply it. (It is a little different from taking a shower or bath, because the hot water is obviously harsh.) And the sun shining on me might be a problem, being able to cause more damage because of a shiny (coconut/vaseline) skin surface.

Speaking of which, is naturally oily skin protective against sunlight? Just curious.

ha ha, thanks! :roll: :)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

gracie wrote:If I want to prevent wrinkles as I get older, would it be beneficial to apply coconut oil/vaseline/etc. during the daytime, say, around my eyes?
Yes.
I tend towards more oily skin, so it doesn't seem necessary,
Thats always localized, and not evenly distributed.
To protect specific areas, apply the fat.
but I also live in a cold/dry climate.
Then its certainly helpful.
is naturally oily skin protective against sunlight?
Yes, to an extend.
gracie

Post by gracie »

Thank you!