Propylene glycol?

Make up, cream, skin issues, dental issues, dental hygiene, shampoo, dandruff...
fictor
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Propylene glycol?

Post by fictor »

I just discovered a new hair styling product that really works great for me. My only concern is that the paste contains propylene glycol, a humectant (aka a water retaining/hydrophilic molecule). If I use this in my hair, will the propylene glycol be absorbed by the skin when washing the paste out, causing water retention in the skin? Or can propylene glycol not penetrate the skin in this way? It is an emulsifier so I guess it has lipophilic properties as well, perhaps making it able to penetrate the skin cells?
RRM
Administrator

Re: Propylene glycol?

Post by RRM »

Long time no see, fictor! :)
Yes, it may cause water retention in your scalp, as it is specifically meant to be a moisturizer in shampoo and hand sanitizers for example,
maybe to counteract the dehydrating effects of soap.
propylene glycol is used in skin care treatment products to facilitate the absorption of other ingredients
propylene glycol (PG), a common cosolvent in topical formulations......"PG appeared to alter the solubility of ibuprofen in the SC (presumably via its own uptake into the membrane)"
Its not irritating to the skin though, and eventually metabolized to pyruvic acid, acetic acid, lactic acid (all well handled by the body) and propionaldehyde
(efficiently metabolized to carboxylic acids such as propionic acid).

Why dont you just use the product, and examine the effects it has on your scalp?
Maybe the effects are minimal?
fictor

Post by fictor »

Long time no see indeed! :) I am very bussy these days, both with work, school and other things.

I am not so worried about the scalp itself, I never get acne there, but more about skin in my face and on my shoulders and back coming in contact with the proylene glycol when showering.

Anyays, I examined my current hairwax and discovered that it too contains propylene glycol. I have minimal acne these days, so I guess if it has any negative effects at all it must be very minor. Most shampoos, conditioners, styling products, shower gels etc. contains some kind of emulsifier, substances tht makes water and fat mix without separating, som I guess all these substances can be bad when applied to the skin (?). I think though, that the quick exposure in the shower might not lead to a lot of this stuff getting absorbe into the skin, because it is rapidly flushed off by the water (the molecules bind to water ver well). It might be another case if one where to rub shampoo and hairstyling paste in ones face, not washing it away afterwards ;)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

fictor wrote: Anyays, I examined my current hairwax and discovered that it too contains propylene glycol.
Yes, its a pretty much standard ingredient.
all these substances can be bad when applied to the skin (?)
Most of them are rather harmless, but some of them are a bit more harsh.
I think though, that the quick exposure in the shower might not lead to a lot of this stuff getting absorbe into the skin
Thats what i think.