Sun Burn

Make up, cream, skin issues, dental issues, dental hygiene, shampoo, dandruff...
rischott
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by rischott »

Would everyone recommend Coconut oil for sun burn?

Tampa's uv rays suck.
CurlyGirl

Post by CurlyGirl »

Yoghurt is good for sunburnt skin... just don't eat it :-) Also, cucumber juice (if you make some to wash your face, then you'll have a supply on hand to soothe your roasted body!)

And don't complain about Tampa's UV rays to me, mister... ;-) I come from South Africa, which is much closer to the ozone hole than Florida *ouch*
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

When I had some severe burns it was "Johannes oil" that worked incredibly well.
I just dont know its english name... Oscar? :?:
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I think it's Infused Hypericum Oil or St. John's Wort Oil.
St. John's Wort is Hypericum Perforatum, infused in oil.

For instance:
http://www.gaiagarden.ca/products/infused_oils/16306
CurlyGirl

Post by CurlyGirl »

Ooh, I'm going to get some. (Gotta stock up to face that blazing South African sun...)
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

This is recommended for after a sun-burn, not to protect from the sun burn, right?
summerwave

St John's Wort

Post by summerwave »

Yes and no--

I don't know about the before if using it topically,

but if you take it (as a supplement, internally) I believe it makes you photo-sensitive.
fictor

Post by fictor »

That is right, St. Johns wort can make you light sensitive.

Cocnut oil seems to be working very good for me. My mother and one of my little brothers always use olive oil with a few drops of lavender oil in it, and they claim it takes away the sunburn in just one day :)
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

Isn't St. John's Wort a plant/drug? How is it different from Aloe Vera.

I thought anything that speeds up skin repair was bad because it would cause the skin repair to be less accurate.

The link here says St. John's Wort is anti-viral; is that good or bad?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Mr. PC wrote:Isn't St. John's Wort a plant/drug?
Sure, but a sun-burn is also a 'medical condition' that may require a drug/plant.
I thought anything that speeds up skin repair was bad because it would cause the skin repair to be less accurate.
I dont think it accelerates skin repair. I think it just creates the perfect environment; it keeps the skin flexible, and forms a protective layer against infection.
The link here says St. John's Wort is anti-viral; is that good or bad?
In this case, as topically applied on a sun-burn, its good, because it protects the skin from getting infected.
Iris

Post by Iris »

St. Johns worth oil (home made) also works wonders with blisters. Gone in no-time!
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

What about putting it on Rosacea? (I think that's what I have).
summerwave

rosacea

Post by summerwave »

If you have rosacea, golden chamomile oil or extract works excellently.

This is not subscribed to by Wai, so the Moderators may wish to re-situate this on the "Not Wai" group of threads.

I use it because I found that rosewater was very irritating to rosacea, though recommended on here (and it really is wonderful on other parts of the body). I think it is slightly acidic (?) or has tannic acid, and all acids other than azelaic acid are very difficult for those with rosacea. Many who are not on the Wai diet use either azelaic or golden chamomile products to help rosacea. And of course the diet is amazing for acne-- hands down.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

From another thread:
gracie wrote:I just want to say-- I also leave cuts alone, but for a burn, I recommend raw honey.

Two years ago, I tripped (ha ha) and spilled hot soup on my arm and hip. It was pretty gross-looking, and it hurt to walk, shower, or even get dressed for a few days. I couldn't bend my arm for two weeks. I was given silver sufadiazine and had to wash and dress the wounds every few hours--ouch--for almost a month. I had two separate doctors tell me to expect scarring.

I immediately felt the need to sleep a lot, especially in the first few days. I love to wake up at dawn, and now I was sleeping all day. I was fascinated by how my body took over like that.
I also hated the cream and secretly (perhaps stupidly) refused to use it. I hated its artificial smell, and I didn't like how my wound felt after I put it on. But I knew I needed something, and I remembered hearing that honey has anti-bacterial properties. I found a study (I think it was: http://www.springerlink.com/content/1571h15002115x04/) and other research about how honey is great for healing burns.

So I got a jar of raw honey, and the minute I put it on, I loved how it felt. It was extremely soothing.
Now...surprise, I have no scarring (imperceptible). I showed my arm to one of the doctors recently and he was genuinely shocked.

So if you'd like to prevent scarring on a cut, I recommend honey. I already threw all my Neosporin away (after reading something in the Wai book or forum, I think?).
Mellis

Post by Mellis »

I use honey or silver if I get a cut, a blister or a burn.