Sun Burn

Make up, cream, skin issues, dental issues, dental hygiene, shampoo, dandruff...
Oscar
Administrator
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by Oscar »

What does it do when you use it on a cut?
Mellis wrote:I'll give you an example: I like to go barefoot outdoors. And run barefoot. One day I stepped on some sharp object and it peeled of a bit of flesh on the side of my foot sole. I didn't feel anything, I just noticed that I was bleeding. It was like a cut but open. It didn't look much, but it took a month to heal completely, as every time I walked I was opening up the wound. So after a week or so, when I saw the area around the wound looked a bit red and felt warm, I put honey on it at night. Also, I washed it with silver water. After a few days, it was better and the cut shrinked and dried up. It might have been just as good without the honey or silver, I don't know. 8)
Ah I see. The red means it's inflamed (body taking care of bacteria), btw.

<edit by RRM>
The discussion about barefoot running was split off
</edit by RRM>
Iris

Post by Iris »

My mother often cuts her finger/hand (sometimes quite deep), and always puts coconut oil on it. Makes it heal really fast!
Iris

Post by Iris »

Iris, coconut oil is the bomb. Is your mother working in a kitchen by any chance? I used to get lots of cuts and burns when I was working in a café. My underarms are still scarred from taking out hot stuff from the own and not being careful enough while doing so.
Well, she is when she cuts herself :wink: but no, she isn't working in a kitchen. It's just there's a lot of cutting to do since our dogs eat a total amount of 3.5 kilo meat etc each day :wink:
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

This thread was split, but some of the moved posts contained passages that belong here,
so that 2 of the previous posts (and this one) were edited so that they contain these passages as well.
Mellis wrote:
Iris wrote: It's just there's a lot of cutting to do since our dogs eat a total amount of 3.5 kilo meat etc each day
: aha! Happy days for your dogs 8)
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

I'm having a hard time coming to a definitive conclusion here. RRM, you said St. John's Wart (assuming that's the correct translation) was good for your burns (sun burns?), but have you tried coconut oil / honey to compare them?

Would store-bought honey be a bad idea? There's no way I'd be able to buy raw honey for putting on my skin. I'm leaning toward coconut oil since I already have some, but I also have some capsules of St. John's Wart somewhere (I think) that my mom bought me for depression before (didn't work).

Also, I heard there are issues with bacteria when using an oil, would that mean the coconut oil is not a good option?

Thanks
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Mr. PC wrote:have you tried coconut oil / honey to compare them?
No, that wasnt me.
I havent had a sunburn since many, many years.
There's no way I'd be able to buy raw honey
Some shops sell it.
But you might try less pure honey.
St. John's Wart is a sure thing though.
Also, I heard there are issues with bacteria when using an oil, would that mean the coconut oil is not a good option?
Virgin coconutoil has antibacterial properties, so i think its safe.
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

So wouldn't it be harmful to eat if it has antibacterial properties? I guess they're just mild enough to be inconsequential?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Exactly; totally safe.
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

I found the St John's Wart, but it looks like some kind of dry, ground up stuff inside the capsule. I guess this isn't of any use? Should I maybe stir it into my coconut oil?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

No, you need a red-ish oil.
Hmm, maybe St John's wort oil is not the proper translation at all... :(
Iris

Post by Iris »

I believe it is a good translation...
Here's an example http://www.localharvest.org/st-johns-wort-oil-C1840, but you can also make it yourself :) My mom does this every now and then. Works wonders on open blisters as well!
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

The St. John's Wart I have is a 'natural' drug, used mostly as an anti-depressant.

I was also wondering. I got some 'Banana Boat' SPF 50 and SPF 60 sunscreen. Reading the spf 50 bottle, it says it contains Medical ingredients, (% p/p): Homosalate 15%, Oxybenzone 6%, Octisalate 5%, Avobenzone 1.5%, Octocrylene 1.25%

and Non-medical ingredients, Aqua, Dimer Dilinoleyl/Dimethylcarbonate Copolymer, Stearyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Caprylyl Glycol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Tocopheryl Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopherol, Sodium Lauroyl Sarcosinate, Behenyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, Glyceryl Stearate Citrate, Disodium Ethylene Lactylate, Lecithin, Carbomer, Xanthan Gum, Methyldibromo Glutaronitrile, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Phenoxyethanol, Disodium EDTA, Triethanolamine, BHT.

I tried to search for the list of things not to put on your skin, but I couldn't find it. I thought it was on the old board but it doesn't seem to be there. I don't think it had most of these ingredients anyway. I'm assuming this sunscreen isn't going to be perfect, but I'd just like to make sure nothing in there is too harmful. I'm thinking I'll need an SPF of 50 or 60, because I've been using 30, and putting on multiple layers and reapplying and it still doesn't work.
panacea

Post by panacea »

if you are using sunscreen in fear of skin cancer, stop and don't worry anymore, the sunscreen actually increases that risk - going natural is best. If you are unfortunately forced to be outside too much in bright sun though then get the mildest SPF possible that makes it effective, the more SPF factor the more harmful it is, in general.
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

Oh ya, and this site http://www.stevenfoster.com/education/m ... ricum.html says you can make the oil by crushing the flower and letting it soak in Olive Oil in the sun or a warm area.

I figured the hot sun would cook the oil, and therefor would be bad for the skin. Is this correct?

Also I'd imagine coconut oil would be better than olive oil, because of the vitamin E; do you think it would work the same to have the flower soaking in coconut oil.

Here's a quote from the page

"It is simple to make St. John's wort oil. The herb is harvested just as the plant comes into bloom. Take about one cupful of the fresh flowers, adding a sufficient quantity of olive oil to just cover the flowers. The fresh herb should be finely cut or crushed, covered with the oil, then placed in the sun or warm area for two to three weeks until the herb imparts its qualities to the oil. Shaking it once a day helps to bring more plant cell surfaces in contact with the menstruum, enhancing this simple extraction process. Once the allotted time (2-3 weeks) has passed, the herb should be pressed, strained from the oil, then stored in a dark, closed container in a cool place.

The yellow flowers will turn the oil a deep blood-red color. Basically you are extracting the pigment, hypericin, considered one of the biologically active compounds of the plant, found in the flowers as little black dots along the petal margins. It is best to use the fresh flowers, as hypericin may degrade upon drying. Store the oil for up to a year in a cool dark place."

Are they using 'flower' and 'herb' interchangeably here? I can't tell. And if they are making it out of a crushed flower, do you think the dried up St. Johns Wart pills I have (which by the looks I think might be the crushed flower/herb), would work to make an oil? I'd just open the pill up, spill the contents into some coconut oil, and let it sit in a warm place for a few weeks. I'd imagine this would be better than regular St. John's Wart because it uses coconut oil rather than olive, and has not been cooked.
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

I just read your message panacea, thanks for the reply.

I'm extremely fair skinned and get burnt very easily. So are you saying sunscreen is worse for a person's skin than burns? I'd like to get some kind of sombrero, but I can't wear that while I'm swimming. Partially I was thinking about skin cancer but partially I was thinking about skin aging. Is sunscreen worse for that as well?