Hair issues

Make up, cream, skin issues, dental issues, dental hygiene, shampoo, dandruff...
dawnroma
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Hair issues

Post by dawnroma »

I've noticed lately that a lot more hair than usual comes out when I brush my hair. It's not clumps or anything, but it's much more than usual (like say 100 hairs compared to 30-40 before). The last time this happened to me was several years ago when my diet was pretty bad (lots of pasta, cake etc.) Once I cleaned up my diet and added more fat and animal protein, the problem went away. I definitely don't want to add any cooked protein, but perhaps I need to add more sashimi. Right now I eat fish like twice a week. The other days I eat 2-3 yolks. However, I've heard that the protein value of eggs is not as good as other animal foods. Is that true? If I have to, I'll eat fish 4-5 times a week and egg yolks the other days. It's strange that I'm having this problem with my hair because when I follow the diet strictly my skin is baby soft and smooth and all of the bumps I had on the back of my arms go away completely.

ciao,

Dawn
RRM
Administrator

Re: Hair issues

Post by RRM »

dawnroma wrote:I've noticed lately that a lot more hair than usual comes out when I brush my hair.
We all have 'seasons' regarding hair loss; sometimes its more, sometimes its less, so that by itself doesnt mean anything yet, unless it is sustained.
I definitely don't want to add any cooked protein, but perhaps I need to add more sashimi. Right now I eat fish like twice a week. The other days I eat 2-3 yolks.
Thats perfect regarding the 'sample diet', which is the initial stage of trying out things, but after that its better to increase your protein intake somewhat.
For you, 5 to 8 yolks a day would be perfect for 'the next step' in trying to get to know the response of your skin.
However, I've heard that the protein value of eggs is not as good as other animal foods. Is that true?
No.
Protein quality of different foods are listed here:
http://www.youngerthanyourage.com/13/protein.htm

Here is the protein quality of some of these:

45% Salmon
44% Egg yolk
42% Mackerel
42% Chicken
42% Pork
38% Beef
38% Tuna
37% Veal
30% Lamb
It's strange that I'm having this problem with my hair because when I follow the diet strictly my skin is baby soft and smooth and all of the bumps I had on the back of my arms go away completely.
One has nothing to do with the other; your skin can be absolutely perfect on a diet that contains just enough protein to survive. Also, the hair loss may have nothing to do with your protein intake or this diet, or may be due to a relative low fat intake, or low level of a B-vitamin (yolks are very rich in B-vitamins). What does the calculator say about your diet?
Either way, its a very good idea to increase your egg yolk intake (not the egg white, as this will decrease the availability of vitamin B8 (biotin)).
dawnroma

Post by dawnroma »

RRM wrote:We all have 'seasons' regarding hair loss; sometimes its more, sometimes its less, so that by itself doesnt mean anything yet, unless it is sustained.
How long would sustained be? A matter of weeks or a matter of months?

RRM wrote:Thats perfect regarding the 'sample diet', which is the initial stage of trying out things, but after that its better to increase your protein intake somewhat.
For you, 5 to 8 yolks a day would be perfect for 'the next step' in trying to get to know the response of your skin..
Wow, have I been seriously undereating protein for the past 3 months? I forgot to mention, that I don't eat nuts because I am sensitive to them. Plus I can't find any Brazil nuts here. So I guess I will definitely need more yolks and fish.

RRM wrote:What does the calculator say about your diet?
Either way, its a very good idea to increase your egg yolk intake (not the egg white, as this will decrease the availability of vitamin B8 (biotin)

I input my diet for today in the calculator and sure enough it said my protein intake was low at just 3 yolks. However, a lot of things seemed to be low, including zinc, copper, and calcium. I played around with the calculator to see how upping my egg yolks would help and it improved, but I didn't reach the RDA always even with around 6 yolks.

Also, how would I insert anchovies? I used salmon as a substitute, but I imagine they are very different. Anchovies, sardines and mackerel are pretty much the mainstays of my fish selections.

My diet today looked like this:

1 juiced orange
and 2 peeled peached blended together.
To this I added 1 tbls of olive oil and 1 egg yolk

1/2 cup of grapes + 1/2 tbls olive oil

1 avocado
1 tomato
onion flakes
1 egg yolkd
4 tbls olive oil
3 carrots
1/2 tbls honey
1/2 small juiced lemon
1 tbls. vinegar

1/2 cup grapes + 1/2 tbls olive oil

3 tomatoes
1/2 cucumber
1 apple
4 tbls olive oil
1 egg yolk
1 tbls balsamic vinegar

I really appreciate your help. This is the first diet that has helped me to resolve my lifelong problem with constipation, and it has also had a dramatic effect on the skin on the back of my arms and the top of my thighs. Thank you for writing the book and publishing it for free!

Ciao,

Dawn
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

dawnroma wrote:How long would sustained be? A matter of weeks or a matter of months?
Months.
RRM wrote:Wow, have I been seriously undereating protein for the past 3 months?
No, you have not. Consuming some animal food daily, you cannot eat too little protein.
As I wrote, it is perfect regarding the sample diet, but after that you may increase protein intake (and that of omega3 fats, good cholesterol and B vitamins automatically).
RRM wrote:I input my diet for today in the calculator and sure enough it said my protein intake was low at just 3 yolks. However, a lot of things seemed to be low, including zinc, copper, and calcium.
Low is good.
As with the intake of energy, a low intake of metals, minerals and protein has a sparing effect on your body (low pro-oxidative damage and damage by ammonium).
It is even difficult to consume too little metals/minerals, as your body is remarkable capable in increasing the uptake ratio according to your needs.
Also, how would I insert anchovies?
I dont know whether anchovies and sardines are safe regarding parasites. Try to google it up.
I used salmon as a substitute, but I imagine they are very different.
As you may have noticed, the protein quality of particularly salmon, egg yolks and mackerel is very good.
Also, salmon is very high in omega 3 fats.
I really appreciate your help. This is the first diet that has helped me to resolve my lifelong problem with constipation, and it has also had a dramatic effect on the skin on the back of my arms and the top of my thighs. Thank you for writing the book and publishing it for free!
Your results and happiness is our reward.
Thank you!! :D
dawnroma

Post by dawnroma »

Thanks for reassuring me with regard to the amount of protein, minerals and vitamins I have been consuming. I was worried there for a minute. All I know is that this diet has been extremely beneficial to my health overall although it is at times hard to follow when your surrounded by people trying to get you to eat pasta and bread continuously (I was seriously addicted to wheat so I try to avoid it like the plague - one bite and I'm hooked again.)

Regarding the anchovies and parasites, here in Italy they use anchovies to make a type of ceviche with lemon, olive oil and garlic, so I presumed that it was safe to eat raw. I was soaking the fish in lemon or lime for a few hours before eating it, but I didn't like the overwhelming lemon/lime flavor, so now I'm eating it fresh. However, I do worry about parasites because my husband and I would like to start trying to have another baby in few months and my friends basically think I'm nuts if I continue to eat raw fish and eggs. Have you ever had anyone who was pregnant post on the board? I'd like to read about their experiences.

Anyway, I'll see what I can find on google about the anchovies and parasites. I guess I can always go back to using the lemon juice if necessary.

Thanks again,

Dawn
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I personally am not that concerned with bacteria and parasites, because I think a healthy body should be able to cope with those. On the other hand, it can't really hurt to be careful.

During pregnancy (and after) it should be even more important to eat healthy, for yourself and for the baby. Maybe RRM has some more info about when to start with what, concerning the baby (breastfeeding, start with fruit as solid food, when to introduce yolks and fish?).
dawnroma

Post by dawnroma »

Thanks for your input Oscar. With regard to pregnancy, I alredy have a daughter who is almost three and I had some problems with her getting constipated when I introduced her to baby foods (potatoes were pretty bad for her). So this time around I want to do it right. I'm pretty lucky I guess because my 3-year-old is a big fruit fan and loves her "juicy and egg yolk" in the morning. But, it's such an uphill battle to get kids to eat healthy these days with all of the garbage they are presented with on a regular basis. As you probably know pasta and bread are considered key menu components here in Italy. And those aren't so bad compared to all the cookie, chocolate and cake they are exposed to at nursery school, their friends' houses on TV etc. Anyway, I'd love to hear if anyone else has done the Wai diet while pregnant. I need some encouraging!

Dawn
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

A few pregnant and recently having delivered mums have emailed us about doing so, but I couldnt get them to post here.
Tuna and farmed salmon are safe regarding parasites, and you can introduce them plus egg yolks (and fruits) to your baby's diet once it is ready to eat a little solid food.
jfk

Post by jfk »

I have been doing the diet for about 2 months, I have gradually been experiencing increasing hair loss. It was hardly noticeable at first just a few extra strands - today it came out in a small handful - I know its easy to pass over this:
We all have 'seasons' regarding hair loss; sometimes its more, sometimes its less, so that by itself doesnt mean anything yet, unless it is sustained.
but I am really disconcerted - I have never ever experienced hair loss before (above expected e.g during brushing/washing hair).

I would really like some advice - has anyone exprienced this and managed to find a solution?

The only unintentional change I have made this week has been eating less:
less olive oil - but I do eat three avocados a day
less protein only 4 egg yolks before I was eating 7/8/9 - I don't really eat nuts - ocasionally only.
about 150g less fish this week too
a bit less fruit - been busy.

There was a mention blood sugar affecting hair growth.

This makes me so sad, :cry: I love my hair - if that sounds vain I apologise- but it is thick and wavy and a good friend - I don't want to lose it.

Before I started the diet, with poor judgement, I did do a long fast - if this is a repercussion I don't know.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

jfk wrote:I have been doing the diet for about 2 months, ... I know its easy to pass over this:
but I am really disconcerted - I have never ever experienced hair loss before
I understand, but this is not 'sustained', so there is no reason to panic (panic actually doesnt help, at all)
Dietwise, the only possible improvement I can think of, is increasing your egg yolk and fish intake, but the hairloss cannot be diet-related, as your are not lacking a certain nutrient.
If it is the result of the fast, the hairloss will stop. So, just wait and see what happens.

It may be stress-related.
It may be hormonal.
It also may be your destination; many people go bald at a relative young age. :(
Are you seeing bald spots on your skull? If so, it may be allopetia.
jfk

Post by jfk »

Thank you for the reply :)
RRM wrote:Are you seeing bald spots on your skull?[/url].
No, I have much more hair than the average person, it is only noticeable because I know myself and my hair.
RRM wrote: It may be stress-related.
It may be hormonal.
It also may be your destination; many people go bald at a relative young age.
For many reasons it is unlikely that I am "going bald" due to some natural "destination".
Hormones and stress are a small possibility. Generally, I don't really believe in coincidences. It seems more likely to be diet related as that is the only thing to have changed recently - but I am willing to wait and see. I will try harder to keep my blood sugar topped up as this is something I sometimes neglect when I am busy, apart from that I follow the diet very carefully.

It could be a hormonal factor caused by the diet - therefore indirectly caused by my diet :?
RRM wrote:there is no reason to panic (panic actually doesnt help, at all)
Agreed. I will from now on project a vision of calm, composure and dignity in the face anguish, just for you ( - and my hair).
avalon

Post by avalon »

I find it very interesting that many people suffer hair loss on what seems all the major diets, after giving up processed foods and the SAD way of eating. Over and over I read that a vegan or a no-carber as examples, might have some hair loss initially, but then things seem to turn around.

If a person has been eating a certain way for years, I guess it would make sence that a dramatic shift in diet, could create a settling effect. Shake a dusty carpet, and you might have to wait a little while for the air to clear.

Just thinking out-loud.

Avalon :)
jfk

Post by jfk »

avalon wrote: If a person has been eating a certain way for years, I guess it would make sence that a dramatic shift in diet, could create a settling effect. Shake a dusty carpet, and you might have to wait a little while for the air to clear.
Very re-assuring and probably wise theory. It is good to be reminded of a little sense.

Pesky, unpredictable changes inducing such impulsive behaviour and irrationality! They cloud my judgement to the extent of yellow-poker-dot skies and flying pigs etc. Calmer, calm, yogi calm...hummmmmmmmm.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Eh?

jfk

Post by jfk »

Oscar wrote:Eh?
OK, so that wasn't my most eloquent post (poker dots and pigs..)

I was referring to the loss of reason experienced when shrouded in self-doubt.

I think you'll find those are flying pigLETS anyway, smarty pants :P