body wash / hand soap

Make up, cream, skin issues, dental issues, dental hygiene, shampoo, dandruff...
RRM
Administrator
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by RRM »

huntress wrote:How dangerous is soap exactly? I understand that we do absorb some of the things that we put on our skin. But do they accumulate in our system in a long run?
Some chemicals do, but most dont.
Its almost impossible to tell what the lifetime effects are.
Using no soap is fine during the winter but not in the summer. And especially not after a rigorous workout.
And why would that be?
Do you think that soap is required to remove sweat?
I would say your hair is wavy/curly...and big like a lion's mane perhaps?
Its only a little wavy, but not curly, and only a little bit 'lion's lane-like' the first 2 days after washing. Why?
van

Post by van »

I always like to tell people about using baking soda as a body scrub and shampoo. It's too drying for the face, though. I grab a handful and make a paste and then rub it on. I've noticed that the baking soda in Europe isn't much the same as in the US. It's got something else in with it. As a shampoo, or in the scalp it really cleans away dead skin and has stopped many times hair from falling out, I think due to clogged hair follicle glands? If your water is 'hard', full of minerals, it can leave a residue on your hair and thus not look very shiny. After rinsing the hair should be squeaky, if not the water probably is too hard.
huntress

Post by huntress »

RRM wrote:Do you think that soap is required to remove sweat?

If the weather is dry and cold, sweat is easily removed with water. But if the weather is hot and humid--really humid--leaving your skin feeling really sticky with dirt sticking to your skin then water itself will not be sufficient.
RRM wrote:Its only a little wavy, but not curly, and only a little bit 'lion's lane-like' the first 2 days after washing. Why?

I have a friend who has the same problem and she fixes it by not drying her hair thorougly, just patting it lightly with a towel and not brushing it after the wash just to allow water to weigh down the hair. I'm thinking maybe it would help you too?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

huntress wrote:If the weather is dry and cold, sweat is easily removed with water. But if the weather is hot and humid--really humid--leaving your skin feeling really sticky with dirt sticking to your skin then water itself will not be sufficient.
Thats not my experience. We have had a very hot month recently, and after taking a bath that is at least as hot, my skin always felt clean. Its just that with that heat you start sweating again right away, which might explain the sticky feeling.
I have a friend who has the same problem and she fixes it by not drying her hair thorougly, just patting it lightly with a towel and not brushing it after the wash just to allow water to weigh down the hair. I'm thinking maybe it would help you too?
Thank you. I dont see it as a problem though (its not too much fluffy), but thanks.
Rivera

Re: body wash / hand soap

Post by Rivera »

But what about bacterias? We need soap to get rid (or to kill) them? If nobody uses soap to wash hands, I guess you all have bacterias?

I saw hand soap with green tea, coconut oil soap, pineapple extract. What can kill bacterias in it? Is it the "soap" term in the coconut oil? It means something is added to the coconut oil?

Basically body soap and hands soap don't have to be different? Hands seem more sensitive for me, so it looks like hands soap would be better for the body, am I right?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Rivera wrote:But what about bacterias? We need soap to get rid (or to kill) them? If nobody uses soap to wash hands, I guess you all have bacterias?
We all have, including those who wash their hands vigorously.
Bacteria are everywhere, including both inside and on the outside of your body.
Killing all those bacteria would be a very bad idea.
Hands seem more sensitive for me, so it looks like hands soap would be better for the body, am I right?
You dont need any soap for your body.
Washing daily with water is all that you need.
Those with a bad diet can wash all they want, using whatever you can think of, and they still smell bad.
Rivera

Post by Rivera »

RRM wrote:
Rivera wrote:But what about bacterias? We need soap to get rid (or to kill) them? If nobody uses soap to wash hands, I guess you all have bacterias?
We all have, including those who wash their hands vigorously.
Bacteria are everywhere, including both inside and on the outside of your body.
It's not what the doctors say:
Why is hand washing important?

Hand washing, when done correctly, is the single most effective way to prevent the spread of communicable diseases. Good hand washing technique is easy to learn and can significantly reduce the spread of infectious diseases among both children and adults.

What types of disease can good hand washing prevent?

Diseases spread through fecal-oral transmission. Infections which may be transmitted through this route include salmonellosis, shigellosis, hepatitis A, giardiasis, enterovirus, amebiasis, and campylobacteriosis. Because these diseases are spread through the ingestion of even the tiniest particles of fecal material, hand washing after using the toilet cannot be over-emphasized.
Diseases spread through indirect contact with respiratory secretions. Microorganisms which may be transmitted through this route include influenza, Streptococcus, respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) and the common cold. Because these diseases may be spread indirectly by hands contaminated by respiratory discharges of infected people, illness may be avoided by washing hands after coughing or sneezing and after shaking hands with an individual who has been coughing and sneezing.
Diseases may also be spread when hands are contaminated with urine, saliva or other moist body substances. Microorganisms which may be transmitted by one or more of these body substances include cytomegalovirus, typhoid, staphylococcal organisms, and Epstein-barr virus. These germs may be transmitted from person to person or indirectly by contamination of food or inanimate objects such as toys.
or this click
Rivera

Post by Rivera »

You didn't really answered this, even if I don't need soap:
I saw hand soap with green tea, coconut oil soap, pineapple extract. What can kill bacterias in it? Is it the "soap" term in the coconut oil? It means something is added to the coconut oil?
Basically body soap and hands soap don't have to be different? Hands seem more sensitive for me, so it looks like hands soap would be better for the body, am I right?
It's like for face and body, face is more sensitive. What about hands and body? Is there a difference or is it just marketing?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Rivera wrote:
RRM wrote: Bacteria are everywhere, including both inside and on the outside of your body.
It's not what the doctors say: "Why is hand washing important?...
Please try to establish what i said, exactly.
Did i tell you not to wash your hands after going to the toilet?
I saw hand soap with green tea, coconut oil soap, pineapple extract. What can kill bacterias in it?
Various compounds in each of those ingredients.
Rivera

Post by Rivera »

RRM wrote:
Rivera wrote:
RRM wrote: Bacteria are everywhere, including both inside and on the outside of your body.
It's not what the doctors say: "Why is hand washing important?...
Please try to establish what i said, exactly.
Did i tell you not to wash your hands after going to the toilet?
No, but you neither didn't say that we do need soap to get rid of bacterias. Yourself, you said, you rarely use soap. But hands washing needs to be frequent. I guess you go to the toilet many times per day like all of us. So you surely need frequent hands washing, right? So in this case, I guess you agree to the fact that we do need soap to kill bacterias? (I don't mean all bacterias of course, because it's too hard to remove and bad for the skin & health).

By the way, I just noticed this:
sweat is easily removed with water
Are you sure? I mean is there something like trial-study for this? Just to make sure.
For me it feels like when not using soap, I don't feel as clean as when using it. Besides, I cannot be sure how much sweat was removed from the body (as I cannot see it).
dime

Post by dime »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perspiration#Composition

I don't see anything that can't be washed off with water.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Rivera wrote:But hands washing needs to be frequent. I guess you go to the toilet many times per day like all of us.
No, i dont.
2 - 4 times a day.
I guess you agree to the fact that we do need soap to kill bacterias?
You say "need", which implies that we cannot do without, which is not true.
For me it feels like when not using soap, I don't feel as clean as when using it.
Thats a mental thing.
Besides, I cannot be sure how much sweat was removed from the body (as I cannot see it).
No, but if your arm pits smell good, thats all you need.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

IF you would want to kill bacteria (and I don't see why) then washing hands normally is not effective enough. Plus you would want to refrain from touching any surfaces after washing, as they have lots of bacteria too.
abicahsoul

Post by abicahsoul »

The only reason to kill as much bacteria as possible all over your body, is if you're gonna undergo surgery. Otherwise some bacteria is fine. Normally bacteria coexist with us.. We can't get germ free.. and probably it is not healthy to get rid of all germs even.. ;)
Iris

Post by Iris »

I noticed that after washing my hair with yolks, the skin on my hands and forehead also feels very soft (and clean). So just as it is an alternative to shampoo, it might as well be a good alternative to soap.