What exactly does tallow canals pinching off means?

Spots, zits, pimples, cysts, etc.
ychiung
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

What exactly does tallow canals pinching off means?

Post by ychiung »

This may sound like a simple question but what does 'pinching off' really mean when describing tallow/sebum canals? Does it mean the canals are narrower?

If the canals get narrower, combined with high tallow production, then they get blocked easier, leading to acne inflammations?

The cause of tallow canals pinching off is the water retention caused by the redundant protein in the true skin. So if I eliminate the redundant protein, the canals are no longer pinching off, therefore even high tallow production will not cause acne?

This is interesting because some parts of my face such as my forehead, are as oily as other parts (eg the jawline and chin), but I dont get acne in my forehead, only around my chin and jawline areas? This means the tallow canals in my chin and jawline are pinching off more than my forehead?
RRM
Administrator

Re: What exactly does tallow canals pinching off means?

Post by RRM »

ychiung wrote:what does 'pinching off' really mean when describing tallow/sebum canals? Does it mean the canals are narrower?
They are narrowed by the water pressure. Not that the canals are narrower from now on; its a temporary condition that lasts as long as the elevated water pressure persists.
Just as with a straw that you 'pinch off' by squeezing it between your fingers; the more you squeeze it, the harder it is to use it to drink.
If the canals get narrower, combined with high tallow production, then they get blocked easier, leading to acne inflammations?
Yes
So if I eliminate the redundant protein, the canals are no longer pinching off, therefore even high tallow production will not cause acne?
Yes, but its not just protein that is a factor in water retention, also salts and hormones play a role.
some parts of my face such as my forehead, are as oily as other parts (eg the jawline and chin), but I dont get acne in my forehead, only around my chin and jawline areas? This means the tallow canals in my chin and jawline are pinching off more than my forehead?
It may also mean that the sebaceous glands in your 'problem areas' produce more sebum...
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

Huh we have tallow canals? I thought tallow is rendered bovine fat?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Correct; its sebum canals.
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

When sebum canals are narrowed by water pressure, it will lead to inflammations right? But I thought sebum is oily? And oil floats above water. So when the canal is blocked by the water, won't the sebum float above the water and reach the outer skin without causing acne?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

As air is in a balloon, water is in the skin. The skin closes the canals because of the water pressure.