higher testosterone due to sugars?

Spots, zits, pimples, cysts, etc.
MariaLinn
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

higher testosterone due to sugars?

Post by MariaLinn »

I have a problem...

Ive been eating like this for 3 weeks now for my acne and Ive decided i want to loose weight as well but I red in some past threads about this diet promoting higher testosterone levels (because of the high intake of sugars) and was wondering if maybe i should switch to a 'normal' way of eating (grain bread, veggies and more cooked protein) while loosing the weight? Because, from what Ive red, this diet does not work all that well for acne anyway if you eat too little because muscle is broken down = more protein in the skin.

Eating WAIfood while Im loosing weight will therefore make me both retain water because of the broken down muscle AND have higher testosterone = more acne than if I would eat 'normal' witch would only give me the swollen skin and therefore less acne. Is this correct or have I missunderstood something?

I also have a second question about acne and face washing. This past week Ive decided I would not wash my face at all with other than water and in the beginning my exema on my chin dissappeared, and is still gone, but as the days went by my acne worsened from beeing gone for one week. Now I have a lot more acne, is this normal when you start washing your face with only water? and how long will it be worse like this? Because Its making me really really depressed :(
fictor

Post by fictor »

High sugar intake does not cause higher testosterone levels. Higher protein intake on the other hand, can cause elevated testo-levels.
MariaLinn

Post by MariaLinn »

Hmmm... Thats confusing because i just red today in an older thread RRM or Oscar writing that this diet promotes higher testosterone levels, I am 100% sure it was one of the mods that wrote it because thats the very cause I posted the question.

Hope someone can bring some clarity to this :D but thanks very much for your answer!

(I will triy to find the tread but it may take some time since I dont remember the topic :) )
MariaLinn

Post by MariaLinn »

Found it! :) Nick writes about it in:

viewtopic.php?p=963&highlight=testosterone#963
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Its true that when your blood-sugar level is relatively low, this will decrease your testosterone level, as the body discourages sexual reproduction in times of 'apparent food-shortages'. Keeping your blood sugar level relatively high will keep your testosterone at a healthy normal (reproduction-ready) level, i suspect.

If sugar would actually elevate testosterone levels as protein does, it would result in similar muscle growth, which however is not the case.

Is that helpful?
MariaLinn

Post by MariaLinn »

RRM wrote:Its true that when your blood-sugar level is relatively low, this will decrease your testosterone level, as the body discourages sexual reproduction in times of 'apparent food-shortages'. Keeping your blood sugar level relatively high will keep your testosterone at a healthy normal (reproduction-ready) level, i suspect.

If sugar would actually elevate testosterone levels as protein does, it would result in similar muscle growth, which however is not the case.

Is that helpful?
Ah! Thats perfectly logical yes :) I must have missred the post i linked to somewhat. It must have ment, as you wrote now : that wai-eating keeps testo at a (high) healthy normal level.

(But sugar does elevate IGF and such much more than protein and that results in a more anabolic state in the body = higher testo - Thats where my concern was before... But obviously thats not a problem when eating theese small amounts of sugars as often as we do or else the diet simply wouldnt work. Lightbulbmoment, lol. :wink: )
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

MariaLinn wrote:(But sugar does elevate IGF and such much more than protein and that results in a more anabolic state in the body
Tell that to bodybuilders!
Its not that simple actually, as there are many factors involved (including protein), and sugar alone can definitely not bring you in a more anabolic state.
IGF (insulin-like growth factor) is just one factor. Actually, did you know that amino acids (protein) increase insulin response more than glucose?
MariaLinn

Post by MariaLinn »

Oh well ;D considering the ammount of protein proBBs shove down maybe it shouldnt be underrestimated after all.
Thats interesting, that protein increases insulin more.

Because I remember reading about the female hormonal disease PCOS before. And sure it affects mostly obese women but also its not at all that uncommon in 'normal' women with a high sugar intake. The sugar intake and or the obesity causes insulin resistance in theese individuals making their testo go out of wack giving; acne, unfertility and more. Then, when curing theese women they only focus on the sugar as the bad guy and not one single mention about that theese women should cut down their protein intake as well. There are even diet sugestions to replace sugar with alot of protein.

Thats also where alot of my(irrational) glucose/IGF/testo thoughts originates from. Thinking protein was faar less harmful and so on.

But hey, you live you learn! :D
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Its not about cutting / eliminating sugar / protein, but about cutting the effect on insulin release. the key to that is cutting down meal size, increasing meal frequency. Never eating a meal that is too big.
MariaLinn

Post by MariaLinn »

Exactly, I agree.
I just dont see the logic in the fact that doctors tell their PCOS patients to 'be scared' of eating too much carbs, but nothing about the protein :)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

MariaLinn wrote:I just dont see the logic in the fact that doctors tell their PCOS patients to 'be scared' of eating too much carbs, but nothing about the protein :)
They generally dont know.