diet and kids

Spots, zits, pimples, cysts, etc.
Iris
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by Iris »

Oscar wrote:I think education by the parents is very important with that. Encouraging the children to form their own opinions and think for themselves on one hand, explaining what (situations) they might encounter another. Telling them about other foods and diets and why people eat like that, without commanding them not to try. If they show interesting in trying out different foods, why not let them taste at home?
Ok, that might work. But I think it is very important not to force anything here.
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

I think that kids should be free to make their own choices. I'd want to educate them as much as I could as to the bad effects of these foods, and I'd teach them ways to make it easier not to eat them, and how to be confident in telling people they don't want to eat something; that it's not impolite to refuse food that is unhealthy, or even to ask for fruit or bring their own to friend's. Maybe do some role playing.

I have a similar concern regarding other people's kids. I spend a lot of time with children, and often they'll ask me about my eating habits. I try to tell them what I know as simply as possible, but I'm concerned someone might get offended that I'm telling their child not to eat dairy or wheat etc. and to eat sugar; even though I'm not really telling them to do anything, merely what foods I think are good and bad. My mom has gotten quite upset at me for the change in my sister's diet, and says other parents will feel the same, although no one yet has confronted me about it.

Do you think there are ethical concerns telling other people's kids to question their parent's beliefs? (dietary/moral/superstitious or any other)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Mr. PC wrote: Do you think there are ethical concerns telling other people's kids to question their parent's beliefs? (dietary/moral/superstitious or any other)
I dont think so, if there is no teacher-student or similar relationship.
Just be aware that people can get very upset if you 'contaminate their kids
with cult-like beliefs'...