diet and kids

Spots, zits, pimples, cysts, etc.
Davin
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

diet and kids

Post by Davin »

Hi everyone,
I am new to this diet and am in the process of gathering all the ingredients (waiting for the nuts to come in). I was wondering if any of you out there are successfully doing this and have kids? I have two small children and know for a fact that it will be extremely difficult to have to prepare their meals and not eat with them as well. I have always tried to keep their diets traditionally healthy, (lots of cooked veggies, little meat and no junk food) but now I am gradually adding a lot more fruit into it as well. I want to slowly and quietly get them to eating more and more raw fruits and nuts without them realizing it until they become accustomed to enjoying the taste and to crave it as their food of preference. Is anybody out there in a similar situation? For those of you who have been following this diet 100% for several weeks, is it still difficult to fight off the cravings of cooked food or do you no longer have the desire?
Thanks in advance!
summerwave

children

Post by summerwave »

Children-- especially very young children-- are instinctively drawn to eat according to this diet and are often scolded, or have foods restricted, for having these instincts...

What child does not overwhelmingly prefer a piece of simple sugar candy, honey, or dried fruit over, say, a cooked steak?

If you take children out to a field in the summer to pick berries, you never have to tell them to pick; to work-- they get the idea immediately (and of course eat along the way, quite comfortably).

One of my earliest memories is of eating soft-boiled egg yolk from a teaspoon; it was totally runny/uncooked and close to raw. My parents knew to dip pieces of cooked meat in it and try to fool me and trick me into eating it this way, as I rejected cooked meat but always desired egg yolk.

My nephews have, from the age of about three ,begged to try the sashimi I eat--- their parents think it is unsafe and do not allow it. But they will eat simple carbohydrates, like pasta, dried and fresh fruit, and sugar candy over cooked meat and vegetables (which they find horrid) any day. And they despise dairy.

Shouldn't be too hard, should they ever be offered a chance to eat this way (the Wai diet). I am always amazed in the U.S. when children are castigated and even punished for their food preferences (especially their tendency to dislike vegetables). It makes no sense.
fictor

Post by fictor »

Just remember that kids need animal foods as well, not only fruits and nuts.
They dont need to be on a strict sample diet. I think any kid who eats raw fruits, raw egg yolks and other animal foods plus perhaps some nuts, dried fruits, raw or steamed vegetables and maybe even some rice or potatoes, will grow up to be more healthy than on other diets.

If one only makes kids steer away from diary (perhaps with the exception of butter), cooked meat and grains, I think a whole lot has been done :)
Davin

Post by Davin »

Summerwave,
You are right. I used to not be a fruit eater but since I've incorporated it a lot more of it into my diet while waiting for the nuts, my youngest, she is 2, keeps asking me for my apple or apricot! She thinks this is really funny of course because I huff and puff about it. It has always been much harder to give them vegetables. As for meat, I will definitely slowly take it out of their diet. I have noticed with kids if you force them out right to do anything, they will rebel. They might like it later, but will certainly be difficult initially. I don't want this diet to leave a bad taste in their mouth, so to speak!
Davin

Post by Davin »

fictor,

I would be thrilled if our whole family eat this way as just 80% of our diet! I agree with you. One step at a time. I am not in a hurry when it comes to them. they will be healthier by just having their father and I being aware. Just wish me luck when I am still preparing their little meals that I won't be licking the spatulas in the first two weeks!
summerwave

fruits

Post by summerwave »

I think that most children greatly enjoy fruit, but it is often restricted due to "sugar" or the fact that most children genuinely want to cut it/handle a paring knife early in life, but their parents won't let them.

My own nephews were allowed to cut tomatoes, cucumbers and pears, especially, with slightly dull paring knives from the age of about three. They have never cut themselves.

Many children drink dairy to the exclusion of solid foods until about age 3; this is often encouraged...but taking small snacks of fruit, honey, and simple (no artificial colors/flavors) candy is frowned upon. It is the same need: small sips or amounts of sugar, to keep going.

But many prefer that children work up an incredible physical hunger before three major "meals," instead, insisting this is the right way to eat, and not wanting to "waste" that food at mealtimes by underconsumption...also parents often prefer "no snacks before bed"-- which often keeps children awake from hunger.

The Wai diet, by contrast, would seem to come naturally to children, especially ages 2-5...this is what they're longing to eat anyway...but they are compelled otherwise by very strong social pressures and outright disapproval....that is very misguided, I think. In any case, I sense you are right! and they will truly enjoy eating a lot of fruit. It will be amazing how many times you will feed them; they are like hummingbirds eating this way, but they will enjoy it greatly.
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

Why would children need to eat a different diet than adults?
fictor wrote: They dont need to be on a strict sample diet.
Why not? Do you think adults do better on a strict sample diet?
I think any kid who eats raw fruits, raw egg yolks and other animal foods plus perhaps some nuts, dried fruits, raw or steamed vegetables and maybe even some rice or potatoes, will grow up to be more healthy than on other diets.
Why give a kid vegetables, rice, or potatoes?
If one only makes kids steer away from diary (perhaps with the exception of butter), cooked meat and grains, I think a whole lot has been done :)
I agree with this (for all people not just kids). I'm confused. Do you think kids should eat grains or should not eat grains? In the previous statement you mentioned rice and here you are talking about steering away from grains.
fictor

Post by fictor »

johndela1 wrote:Why would children need to eat a different diet than adults?
It is very hard to prepare a small "meal" every hour for kids that are in kindergarten or school. Optimaly they should be on a strict diet (but more animal foods, as long as they dont have acne), but this would be practically impossible. The kids would need to eat sligthly bigger and less frequent meals, unless they are home with their parents. I have worked in a kindergarten myself, and I asure you, it would not have been possible to feed the kids every 1-2 hour. Therefore it can be practical to eat some other foods than fruits (it gives a greater insuline response to eat a large meal of simple sugars than complex sugars)
johndela1 wrote: Do you think adults do better on a strict sample diet?
I think adults are able to maintain a strict sample diet. I do think though, that more animal foods should be consumed if one does not have acne.
johndela1 wrote: Why give a kid vegetables, rice, or potatoes?
As I said, it is practical, and is some of the least harmfull munch foods. It is a standard part of the non-sample/acne Wai diet.
johndela1 wrote: I'm confused. Do you think kids should eat grains or should not eat grains? In the previous statement you mentioned rice and here you are talking about steering away from grains.
I wrote "perhaps even some rice or potatoes"
With this I do not mean they should or have to eat it, only that they would be healthy even if they do. Also, potatoes are not grains, and rice is the least hamfull grain. I would not give kids bread, cereals or pasta.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Like the others have already mentioned, it should be totally easy and normal for kids. Children know better than their parents. ;) I think kids look to their parents in many ways though, so if both the parents are eating Wai then they will follow. How to eat well outside of home, is a problem that needs to be solved.

As I gradually moved to the strict diet, I'm not totally sure about the cravings, but my guess is they're the worst in the beginning and then will slowly disappear. Being 100% on the strict diet all the time is easier than eating a little bit of addictive substances regularly.
summerwave

children

Post by summerwave »

A friend with four children under the age of eight has a walk-in style pantry; there is a roomy "children's shelf" with fruit, nuts, honey-based candy; some gluten-free pretzels (rice-based); juice boxes (processed unsweetened fruit juice in single-serving boxes); also some glucose-based candy. It is just above waist-level and dead-ahead when you walk in; all the children are welcome to get anything they want at any time.

Three are homeschooled; the one who isn't had a naturopath sympathetic to the Wai diet write a brief doctor's note about hypoglycemia for that child. He is allowed to carry a juice container with oil and sugar added all day long. He has a cooler with a second bottle chilling in it should he run out.

The children's parents say that the above takes care of about 90% of the problems they thought they'd have.
summerwave

fruits

Post by summerwave »

The above doesn't include, of course, 2 enormous fruit-ripening platters on a kitchen island that the children check all the time for the ripeness of fruit. They all are free to use paring knives, as well....

At any given time there might be 2 pineapples; 5-6 avocado, a few mangos, apples, pears, a dish of pistachios (heat-treated/not really Wai), bananas and maybe 20 or more ripening tomatoes during the tomato season; also eggplants and summer squash as they do eat a small amount of cooked food.

So the children are not just eating dried fruit and simple candy from the shelf; they are also checking the big main supply of fresh produce in the kitchen.

They're quite good with knives!
Iris

Post by Iris »

With young children there is little trouble ofcourse, but what if they get older? Don't get me wrong, I think it's beautifull to feed them this way, but I think they'll want to try other things as well when they get older, just like their friends. Especially when puberty comes, it might be very difficult to keep them from eating grains etc. I think....
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I think education by the parents is very important with that. Encouraging the children to form their own opinions and think for themselves on one hand, explaining what (situations) they might encounter another. Telling them about other foods and diets and why people eat like that, without commanding them not to try. If they show interesting in trying out different foods, why not let them taste at home?
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

fictor wrote:rice is the least hamfull grain. I would not give kids bread, cereals or pasta.
I'f I had kids, I wouldn't want them to eat the lest harmful grains, but rather no grains.

I am curious to know exactly how harmful rice is. Rice if a very convenient and cheap source of calories, but then again so is sugar.

The way I target my diet (and would do the same with kids) is to eat foods that are raw or at the very least can be eaten raw.
summerwave

rice

Post by summerwave »

When I have eaten white rice in the past as part of a restricted but not Wai-based diet, and when I have dabbled with it since, it has seemed to have the cost that RRM remarked upon regarding all starches:

Namely, that when they are uncoupled (by digestion), their glucose hits the bloodstream all at once. To eat starches like this (rice has a very easily broken down and orderly starch structure, even for those with impaired carbohydrate metabolism, as I have had, so it is sometimes tolerated whenother carbohydrates aren't) causes a surge in blood sugar that is unavoidable.

When I ate it with fat to slow this effect down, it didn't seem to work, or else it was too hard on my impaired digestion to handle the breakdown of both fat and carbohydrate at once (plus when cooked to a watery broth, as in many 'easily-digested' remedies for digestion, the level of water seems to dilute stomach acid needed in digestion). So again: it seems to have some cost to the pancreas, due to the sudden release of its sugars in the blood.