Acne, aging, and sensitivity

Spots, zits, pimples, cysts, etc.
RedBird27
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Age and Acne

Post by RedBird27 »

While this diet does an amazing job at clearing acne in most people, I was just wondering if it postpones the phase of growing out of acne. Now that I have been on the diet for a long time it seems that I am supersenstive to salt, to much protein, and combining fiber with protein. Will this be the case forever or will I someday be able to eat more protein and not have to worry about spots the next morning. Just kind of down because I started trying to eat more yolks, and was really loving it, but now I am dealing with bumpy skin and some new spots and it has me discouraged. Take care everyone... Redbird
RRM
Administrator

Re: Age and Acne

Post by RRM »

RedBird27 wrote:I was just wondering if it postpones the phase of growing out of acne.
No, it doesnt.
Scientific studies have shown that a percentage of acne patients still have acne when they are 70.
Most likely, this has to do with hormones. In most people, the hormones 'settle down' after puberty, and if not, after their early twenties.
This diet does not alter your hormone metabolism. If anything, it wwould have a 'less-anabolic effect', which would be good for acne, but then again, it can maximally influence, and not alter hormone metabolism.
Now that I have been on the diet for a long time it seems that I am supersenstive to salt, to much protein, and combining fiber with protein.
True. Thats the consequence of how water retention (and osmosis) works. The lower the concentration of the water-attracting (hydrophylic) molecules, the greater the effects of the same amount of such hydrophylic compounds.
Will this be the case forever or will I someday be able to eat more protein and not have to worry about spots the next morning.
How long you will be prone to acne is not known to anybody, and nothing can change that. Its simply individually different and so far totally unpredictable.
Just kind of down because I started trying to eat more yolks, and was really loving it, but now I am dealing with bumpy skin and some new spots and it has me discouraged.
Yes, I understand. Ive been there. All experiments come with results, including not-so-nice ones...
Did you steadily increase your protein intake?
Whats your safe level?
gracie

Acne, aging, and sensitivity

Post by gracie »

As I got older (I'm 26), my acne went away.
What about those on the diet for a while, have you noticed a lesser need to be 'strict' as you get older?

RRM and others, can you tolerate things like onions or garlic in your salad, or relatively 'safe' munch foods like unsalted butter?
RRM
Administrator

Re: Acne, aging, and sensitivity

Post by RRM »

gracie wrote:As I got older (I'm 26), my acne went away.
What about those on the diet for a while, have you noticed a lesser need to be 'strict' as you get older?
Yes, thats what normally happens (but not to me, yet).
Only in a small minority (maybe 10%) this is not the case.
RRM and others, can you tolerate things like onions or garlic in your salad, or relatively 'safe' munch foods like unsalted butter?
I dont get acne from the raw onion or garlic, but they are simply way too heavy for my taste or digestive system.
I used to love them (on a cooked diet), but i can stand them anymore;
too aggressive / dominant.

Unsalted butter is ok for me occasionally, but not if i consume it regularly,
which goes for all the mildest / safest munch foods.
gracie

Post by gracie »

Wow, interesting! Now that I'm eating this way, I also feel a natural aversion to garlic and onion...yes, too forceful and sharp.

Unsalted butter also seems very greasy, like it would leave a sticky taste in my mouth. Olive oil is delicious to me, so no need for it.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I think that the longer you are strict, the more you will want to keep at it. A few weeks ago I tried a very tiny bit of guacamole, which was Wai except for a little bit of onion and garlic. It felt as if my mouth exploded... Not trying that again!
gracie

Post by gracie »

Wow, Oscar!
Yeah, my taste sensitivity is amazing on this diet. I'm experiencing so many new sensations just from biting into an apple! I also used to use salt as flavoring for everything, and now it's like an intruder. Same with herbs. They're nice, but why distract yourself with all those flavorings when all the flavor is already there? It's like having A.D.D. of the mouth...too much going on, and not enough focus or depth of perception going towards appreciating the food itself.

My spice rack is now a testament to how little flavor my (former) food used to have :) And how numb my tongue used to be. Ironic, because who knew I'd get such complexity out of such simple food. I love how that works.

btw, I've discovered that garlic is much less harsh if you let it sit out for a while after slicing it. If you use a small amount of it, it adds that little "kick" to a salad. But it's so potent that I really think of it as a medicine, not a food (as RRM has stated in previous threads). Because should a food ever make your mouth explode? ha ha
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Hehe, I agree :)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Lately (since a few weeks), ive noticed that i occasionally could overeat on raw protein a little more often than before,
without breaking out.
Now, suddenly, since one week, i can tolerate much, much more raw protein than before.
My tolerance level was about 130 to 135 grams of raw fish / beef / egg yolk per day.
And i could only about once a month overeat on protein 1 to 2 days in a row maximally, and only 50% per day max extra.
This week i initially ate 50% more for 3 consecutive days, without adverse effects.
As this left me curious, i upped the bets; the following days i ate 100%, 150%, 200% and 250% more,
and i only got one tiny (pinpoint) whitehead that disappeared the following day.

I suspect that at age 44 (unrelated but after been on the Wai diet since 1995), my sebum production has finally gone down considerably.
I suspect so because i do notice that my skin retains more water, but obviously the resulting pinching off of sebum canals
does not result in significant volumes of sebum getting stuck.
Even if im in for a nasty surprise next week, i was never able to eat this much raw protein without adverse effects.
It will be interesting to see whats going to happen in the coming weeks.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Interesting!
djkvan

Post by djkvan »

Have you ever gone extended periods without animal foods? Your body's detoxification of the protein is likely slowing down as you age. This certainly isn't a good thing. Of course it could be that now, 15 years later, at age 44, your body is getting better at processing protein. Does an improvement with age seem likely to you? Does less sebum production sound like an improvement?
I do so like green eggs and ham. Thank you, thank you. Sam I am.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

djkvan wrote:Have you ever gone extended periods without animal foods?
Yes, i did a lot of experiments many years ago.
Your body's detoxification of the protein is likely slowing down as you age.
Its not about detoxification.
Proteins from raw animal foods are not toxins.
This certainly isn't a good thing. Of course it could be that now, 15 years later, at age 44, your body is getting better at processing protein.
Does an improvement with age seem likely to you?
That seems very unlikely to me.
Does less sebum production sound like an improvement?
Thats is just what happens with age; its normal.
When your skin produces a lot of sebum, a natural decrease in sebum production may be an improvement regarding acne.
Regarding keeping your skin flexible, its not an improvement, but we can apply oil for that.
djkvan

Post by djkvan »

Ahh..
I do so like green eggs and ham. Thank you, thank you. Sam I am.
Kasper

Post by Kasper »

I suspect so because i do notice that my skin retains more water, but obviously the resulting pinching off of sebum canals
does not result in significant volumes of sebum getting stuck.
Wow! Intresting stuff

But what ever happens, don't quite the diet :lol:
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Still experimenting.
Im consuming a steady 200 to 250% daily now, and this result in about 3 whiteheads a week.
I can clearly notice the water retention.
One more week, and then i will cut back in order to find a level that does not result in whiteheads.
Naturally, i will never quit this diet; im too happy that nature forced me into it. :)