Do animals get acne?

Spots, zits, pimples, cysts, etc.
Kookaburra
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Do animals get acne?

Post by Kookaburra »

If you feed your pet dog/cat cooked food, do you notice any acne on them?
panacea

Re: Do animals get acne?

Post by panacea »

First of all they have fur so it'd be hard to tell, Second of all I don't know FOR SURE if they can have acne or not, but you can't compare the skin of a dog/cat to human skin any way, as hell they don't even sweat to cool down, but rather to release pheromones.
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

Are there any animals who have skin similar to ours?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

I cannot think of any.
panacea

Post by panacea »

Maybe pig skin or bonobo skin. Not sure.
Iris

Post by Iris »

Yes, animals do get acne (at least dogs and cats can have something that is called acne; at their chin/around their lips). It's been thought to be different then human acne though, but what the exact cause is, is kind of vague. Maybe I'll look in to it sometime... Anyway, some breeds are thought to be more susceptible: the Doberman, Great Dane, Boxer, English Bulldog, Weimaraner and Rotweiler (hmm, coinsidence? :roll: )

Dog with acne:

I have seen many, many(!) Great Danes who have it (kibble dogs). Mine doesn't have and never had it.... But ofcourse I don't know whether that has anything to do with his diet :wink: But I do have a hunch...
Iris

Post by Iris »

panacea wrote:you can't compare the skin of a dog/cat to human skin any way, as hell they don't even sweat to cool down, but rather to release pheromones.
Uuuh, dogs actually do sweat to cool down... Just not through their skin, but through their foot soles.
panacea

Post by panacea »

Yes I read that in the same article I learned about the pheromone sweating Iris, however didn't include it because it seemed so impractical. For instance, how can their internal organs organs cool down just from the tiny paws catching some wind? It doesn't seem any more useful than opening their mouths for their tongues to release heat, which, although useful, is not similar to our cool-down skin sweat method, which is all encompassing, but rather fixed. I also have never seen acne develop on dog paws, which is why I left it out also.

But thanks for including that I probably should have.

By the way that picture of the dog with acne looks a heck of a lot worse than any acne I've seen on a human lol, but maybe I'm sheltered :D
Iris

Post by Iris »

panacea wrote:Yes I read that in the same article I learned about the pheromone sweating Iris, however didn't include it because it seemed so impractical. For instance, how can their internal organs organs cool down just from the tiny paws catching some wind? It doesn't seem any more useful than opening their mouths for their tongues to release heat, which, although useful, is not similar to our cool-down skin sweat method, which is all encompassing, but rather fixed. I also have never seen acne develop on dog paws, which is why I left it out also.
Ofcourse you have to decide for yourself what you do and don't write :wink: But while it doesn't seem very useful to you (in this discussion), that doesn't change the fact they DO sweat. And since you claimed the opposite, I felt it had to be corrected.
It was not my intention to start a discussion, although very interesting ;D , on whether or not the ways dogs release heat are impractical. I just want information on this board to be correct :wink: (you may know what you said is incorrect, but others might not)
By the way that picture of the dog with acne looks a heck of a lot worse than any acne I've seen on a human lol, but maybe I'm sheltered :D
That might be due to all the wrinkles under the dog's chin. Their skin is not as smooth as ours ofcourse ;) so it looks even worse than it actually is. If you'd google "acne" you'll find some pretty nasty cases of acne in humans as well. But I agree, it's pretty bad.... :(