Photo Log - post Accutane -> on Accutane

Spots, zits, pimples, cysts, etc.
Squash
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Re: Photo Log - post Accutane -> on Accutane

Post by Squash »

Does it ever stop?

My facial skin's getting better by the day, but the problems on my face have been replaced by lesions in my neck. Eczema. To be exact: contact dermatitis.. Have a look:

It started after I smeared 10% benzoyl peroxide on my neck 2 weeks ago. Please don't ask me why, please, please dont... It happened and that's all that matters right now. My skin had an allergic reaction to the benzoyl peroxide cream: it got incredibly red, swollen and itchy. After a week or so it looked like it was starting to clear up, the swelling was gone and my skin was getting less red and red by the day. Until a few days ago. I wanted it to go away faster so I smeared vaseline all over it before going to sleep. It really aggravated it it seems. Then, the next day I did that another time but this time with white vaseline recommended by my brother, who's has eczema for a long time. It made it the condition it is this morning. OH and another thing I went to play sports and had a shirt with collars, which irritated the absolute crap out of it. This might have contributed too.

As I've heard Mario say in a previous post it's easy to get rid of, I'd like some ideas...
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Wow....
mario91

Post by mario91 »

Next time you use BP use 2.5%, acne.org claims that studies showed that it is as effective as 10% and less irritating. And also use it as spot treatment, and very tiny quantities. That's enough for it to work (just like any other topical medicine). Ofc that using BP is always a complete waste of time, but next time you fall in that temptation take these advice.

Your eczema is big, however it doesn't seem very dry/rashy anymore. Does it still itch? Did in spread, in terms of area, since it appeared? You should go to the doctor anyway. If you don't, the only safe things you can do is applying a LITTLE of 0.1% hydrocortisone cream, or do nothing. And keep skin always moisturized, apply vaseline/oils/glycerine many times a day. I'm not sure is vaseline is good for eczema though, since it might not allow the wound to breath (not really sure though).
Squash

Post by Squash »

RRM wrote:Wow....
I know, right? Still looking for that one person that doesn't turn his or her eyes right to my neck when I'm starting a conversation.
mario91 wrote:Next time you use BP use 2.5%, acne.org claims that studies showed that it is as effective as 10% and less irritating. And also use it as spot treatment, and very tiny quantities. That's enough for it to work (just like any other topical medicine). Ofc that using BP is always a complete waste of time, but next time you fall in that temptation take these advice.

Your eczema is big, however it doesn't seem very dry/rashy anymore. Does it still itch? Did in spread, in terms of area, since it appeared? You should go to the doctor anyway. If you don't, the only safe things you can do is applying a LITTLE of 0.1% hydrocortisone cream, or do nothing. And keep skin always moisturized, apply vaseline/oils/glycerine many times a day. I'm not sure is vaseline is good for eczema though, since it might not allow the wound to breath (not really sure though).
I've gone to the doc today, and he stated that the white vaseline/regular vaseline is what made things worse. There's a lot of ingredients in both of them and they caused yet ANOTHER allergic reaction in my neck's skin, which was sensitized from the initial benzoyl peroxide application. Now, I'm not putting any creams on and I'm taking antihistamines to reduce the itching. Doc says it should be all gone within 7 to 10 days. The affected skin is a lot dryer than yesterday, seems like the lesions are 'drying up'.

Pic update:

I know benzoyl peroxide can be beneficial to people's acne, if one uses low dose and lets their skin get accustomed to it, but personally, I'm probably never touching that stuff again.
Squash

Post by Squash »

The itching is getting closer to unbearable, the longer the day progresses, but I'm not touching it. Not giving in to the urge.

P.S. Facial acne update pics are coming sooner or later. As I said it's getting better day by day. Accutane is really helping my skin; my back and chest skin are now supersmooth, as opposed to bumpy/dry/sebum-y before. All the lesions I still have left on my face are blackheads that formed way back or blackheads that turned into inflamed little lesions.
mario91

Post by mario91 »

Vaseline has a lot of ingredients? Isn't it just petrolatum? Or do you mean Vaseline, the brand moisturizer?

I think you should anyway keep your skin moisturized with oils/glycerin, putting it many times a day. These will hardly irritate, you should try. In fact, keeping eczema skin moisturized would not only speed up the healing process, but also keep you with less itching - when I had eczema, I'd put "something greasy" on it anytime it made me itch. This way you might not even have to keep taking the antihistamines.

But don't worry, I think it'll heal, since it's located on healthy skin, unlike the burn-scar-located eczemas I used to have. The only problem I see is Accutane... hope it doesn't interfere. Good luck!
Squash

Post by Squash »

mario91 wrote:Vaseline has a lot of ingredients? Isn't it just petrolatum? Or do you mean Vaseline, the brand moisturizer?

I think you should anyway keep your skin moisturized with oils/glycerin, putting it many times a day. These will hardly irritate, you should try. In fact, keeping eczema skin moisturized would not only speed up the healing process, but also keep you with less itching - when I had eczema, I'd put "something greasy" on it anytime it made me itch. This way you might not even have to keep taking the antihistamines.

But don't worry, I think it'll heal, since it's located on healthy skin, unlike the burn-scar-located eczemas I used to have. The only problem I see is Accutane... hope it doesn't interfere. Good luck!
Purol (Vaseline) ingredients: Petrolatum, Acetylated Lanolin, Paraffin, Parfum, Benzyl Benzoate, Paraffinum Liquidum, Benzyl Cinnamate, Glycerin, Caramel.

From ALL of the experiences I've had with the oils/glycerin stuff, it's always been very harmful to my skin and made things worse. I am going to trust this experience, and not yet again induce another possible allergic reaction which leaves me even longer to heal from this eczema stuff. 3 days ago, my neck was almost normal again. Guess what I did to accomplish that? I put NOTHING on it, not irritating it.

What does Accutane have to do with anything? The eczema/allergic reaction is localized and solely on the parts of skin that I put the benzoyl peroxide on. Accutane is doing wonders for my skin yet again, as it has done in the past. Sun sensitivity is the only thing that keeps me from building a little Accutane temple in my room to honor Roche, the creator. Long term use may cause ill effects, but the short term effects are really astounding.

Thanks for your feedback.
mario91

Post by mario91 »

Squash wrote: Purol (Vaseline) ingredients: Petrolatum, Acetylated Lanolin, Paraffin, Parfum, Benzyl Benzoate, Paraffinum Liquidum, Benzyl Cinnamate, Glycerin, Caramel.
Wrong Vaseline! The vaseline we talk about is pure petroleum jelly, aka petrolatum. Look for it near the cotton, bandages etc, in little tubes or jars.
Squash wrote: From ALL of the experiences I've had with the oils/glycerin stuff, it's always been very harmful to my skin and made things worse. I am going to trust this experience, and not yet again induce another possible allergic reaction which leaves me even longer to heal from this eczema stuff. 3 days ago, my neck was almost normal again. Guess what I did to accomplish that? I put NOTHING on it, not irritating it.
That's quite uncommon I guess, but I understand then.
Squash wrote: What does Accutane have to do with anything? The eczema/allergic reaction is localized and solely on the parts of skin that I put the benzoyl peroxide on. Accutane is doing wonders for my skin yet again, as it has done in the past.
That's simple: Accutane weakens your skin. Makes it more sensitive and more prone to overreactions/allergies like eczema. Not to mention it unbalances your whole organism, which can also lead to many skin problems.
Squash wrote: Sun sensitivity is the only thing that keeps me from building a little Accutane temple in my room to honor Roche, the creator. Long term use may cause ill effects, but the short term effects are really astounding.
LOL. No comment...
Squash wrote: Thanks for your feedback.
Always a pleasure to help ;) I'm kinda doing RRM's job here, hope he doesn't mind :D
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Thank you, Mario91 !! :)
Squash

Post by Squash »

12 hours sleep
mario91

Post by mario91 »

Sleep really helps in skin issues! Glad to see it's pretty much gone.