99.999% versus 100% - my life on the sample-est diet

Share your testimony to encourage others.

What is the reason you talk about munch food on this forum??? (JUST TEASING YOU... :-) )

Munch food is very important for your health.
No votes
When living in society you cannot possibly be happy without eating some munch food. So even if I could restrain from eatig it, I would make myself have some munch food every now and then to be more normal.
10%
We don't want to be as healthy as possible - only get rid of major disease like acne, cancer or obesity. If we don't eat any munch food we'll be too different from other people - it is too extreme.
7%
Avoiding munch food for life would be the best. However, I believe that nobody is strong enough to do what is the BEST for his body for a lifetime - so we have to talk about semi-destructive paths to know what else can we eat except the sample diet
30%
We talk about munch food because it is harmful - we talk about it in order to avoid eating it
No votes
We talk about munch food because Wai talks about it and she seems to be eating it herself.
3%
What is munch food? why munch food?! arn't we supposed to eat RAW food to stay healthy and happy? this is very confusing... I don't eat any munch food only the sample diet.
50%

Total votes: 30
Justin
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by Justin »

James, i read it somewhere on this forum (i think). I don't recommend drinking pasteurized juice, in fact i'm against drinking it myself and it doesn't taste as good. Marks n Spencer sell unpasteurized juice, 1 litre for £2.50 compared to Tesco's pasteurized 1 litre for £1.14. Quite a difference. I'll finish the juice i've got and then i'll probably drink less of the unpasteurized juice. But juicing my own is definately too expensive, oranges aren't cheap here. I'm still curious how bad pasteurized juice really is though, considering it's only heated to it's maximum temperature for a second, just to kill off some kind of bacteria perhaps, ( i don't know if thats true).
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

benzapp wrote:I'm going to have to disagree. I belong to a food co-op where we get unpasteurized juice from Florida. It comes in Plastic containers but it is very fresh. It has about a 2-3 week shelf life if it is kept at about 40 degrees.

I drink it all the time with no problems.
How can it be fresh if it's 3 weeks old?? :?
benzapp

Post by benzapp »

Oscar wrote:
benzapp wrote:I'm going to have to disagree. I belong to a food co-op where we get unpasteurized juice from Florida. It comes in Plastic containers but it is very fresh. It has about a 2-3 week shelf life if it is kept at about 40 degrees.

I drink it all the time with no problems.
How can it be fresh if it's 3 weeks old?? :?
I think you are confusing two statements. One of the benefits of buying fresh food is that it keeps longer in the fridge. After a period of time however, it ceases being fresh but will still be edible. This distinction is particularly important because the parent poster claimed you can only keep OJ for 2-3 days, which is absolutely false.

But anyway, the juice is fresh when we it arrives at our food co-op. I've kept bottles unopened in the fridge for two weeks and it tasted a bit less sweet but I don't have a problem with it.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

You are right, there are two different things:
1. Freshly squeezed OJ keeps for only a few days
2. Orange juice sold (usually in bottles not cartons) in stores as "unpasteurized" has had its shelf life increased by de-aeration NOT by heating (unless the makers are breaking the law).
Oranges remain alive after being picked and breathe in oxygen and exhale carbon dioxide so the whole fruit is absorbing air through its skin. When you juice the orange this air is in the juice and it reacts with the vitamin C, slowly destroying it and also other flavour compounds. By spraying the juice into a vacuum chamber or pumping it over cascades in a vacuum, this air is removed and if the juice is then put into airtight bottles its shelf life will be more than doubled, also at the end of its shelf life (ie on the "Use by" date) it will have much more vitamin C than unprocessed juice has after even one day. De-aerated juice "goes off" due to the growth of yeasts and (non-disease-causing but flavour-damaging) bacteria.
This process has been used for many decades and is surely beneficial except possibly to the flavour because a tiny amount of the most volatile compounds are removed by the vacuum pump.

Found this on the old Acne board. :)
So I guess if you make sure the juice isn't (flash) pasteurized but vacuumed (;)), you'll be fine.
Corinne

Vipassana

Post by Corinne »

Hi Jmbattle!

Sorry this reply is a bit late, but I've been away from the forum for a couple of weeks.
Last July I did my second 10-day vipassana course. (the first one was a year before that). This form of meditation and the way the whole thing works is wonderful and amazing. The meditation is so simple, so natural yet takes a long time to master and goes as deep as you let it- as deep as you can handle at that moment. It's a wonderful experience of integrating body-mind-spirit. The retreat is a silent one: a diet from talking in other words. Slowly over the 10 days, my body, my mind and my spirit sank into a deep quietness that I had never experienced before.

The retreat is also unique in the sense that it costs nothing. If you complete a 10-day course you may give a donation of as little or as much as you like, depending on how the experience was for you. The course is made possible because former "students" (participants) are there during those 10 days serving you, preparing meals and cleaning.

Now, the only thing that might stop me from going back to sit or to serve is the food. It's excelent if you've not yet experienced wai but it's only excelent compared to other cooked vegetarian diets. Since you are living there on charity for those 10-days you cannot really ask for anything special unless you have a strong medical excuse, and you cannot bring any food... This is where my dilemma stands at the moment.

But I would by all means try it out once and deal with the food somehow. It's worth it. Have you done other forms of meditation? if so which ones?
I've explored Zen, transcendental, mantra etc... but vipassana tops them all!
Keep me posted!
Corinne.
jmbattle

Post by jmbattle »

Hello Corinne, thank you for your response.

Yes, this is certainly something I can envisage myself persuing in the future, however currently I am at something of a transition in my life (arguably this would be the best time to experience vipasanna!), in that my time in Japan will reach a conclusion in August. Before this time, I am still hoping to continue working voluntarily for one or two more organisations.

After that, I intend to visit another country, possibly outside of Asian - perhaps I shall consider vipasanna there...?

Regarding meditation in general, whilst my parents are both Yoga teachers, I confess that I do not spend enough time meditating, yet on the opportunities that I do enjoy Yoga (and recently Reiki...) I have been wonderfully relaxed, both physically and spiritually.

Thanks again, take care,
James
x
Corinne

Vipassana

Post by Corinne »

Hi Jmbattle,
Exactly, now would be the time to do Vipassana, since you're at a transition...
There are centers all over the world, and once you've completed a 10-day course you may serve (or sit again) for as long a period as you want whereever you want... As a server you still meditate intensely (at leat 3 hours a day) and participate activly in the community life of the center.
Here is the website where you can find the contacts for all centers in the world: http://www.dhamma.org/

I'm sort of an Iyengar granddaughter (I study with a student of a student of his). The diet has helped my suppleness!
What exaclty is Reiki? Is it something someone does to you, like a massage say or is it something you do yourself, like yoga?

All the best and I trust you'll find your way to a Vipassana center!

Corinne.
jmbattle

Post by jmbattle »

Corinne, thank you for the weblink - I recall visiting it a couple of months ago.

As it happens, I shall be finishing this post shortly, but starting a new six week project in February - after that, we shall see! ;)

Iyenga is extremely challenging - I'm certainly not supple enough for anything like that! ;(

Reiki is a form of healing, channeling spiritual energy. I do not practice it, however I have recieved a few treatments and would be keen to learn if I had the money.

Take care,
James
x
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

You're welcome!
I advise you however to sign-up for a 10 day course some time in advance, if you have specific dates and location as courses fill up quickly... you can always cancel a week before and therefore if a course is already full they put you on a waiting list and call you a week before the course to let you know if there is a spot for you. Usualy there is because people change their mind at the last minute!

Iyengar is challenging but not impossible (even for the unsupple). I'm actually not that supple, but I'm gradually becoming more supple. Also Yoga has been easier since I've started the diet.

It might be interesting to try out a Reiki healing... I'll see! :wink:

Corinne.
tjfillion

Post by tjfillion »

Amazing. Gavriel the post is so inspiring. I swear I'm teary and I never come close to crying.

It's funny, because since I started the diet everyone keeps asking me, "So when are you going to stop this?" And I don't have an answer for them. I don't even crave munch food. At all. Just the thought of eating it makes my stomach hurt. I'm glad to see that it's not in my head (placebo effect everyone keeps saying it to me) and raw is working so well for you.

I completely get the HAVE, DO, and BE. I've been working very hard with the DO and BE through the Alexander Technique and other methods, and all I've been missing is the HAVE. Great explanation.

Side-note: Love your website. Your playing's so beautiful. I played violin for 8 years until I came down with TMJ and I've been thinking about taking up cello for a while. Your playing definately seals the deal.
nick

Post by nick »

I also do the Alexander Technique!

Since at school they don't have a certified teacher, I take lesson sporadically, but for spring break I will take a couple. I find it to be extremely satisfying to better understand how to use my body. As it helps with guitar and stress and so on.
tjfillion

Post by tjfillion »

Cool Nick! Actually next fall I'm going to start training in Ann Arbor to become a teacher. I'm really excited. 3 hours of Alexander work on myself a day, 5 days a week ... it should be so sweet.
Cairidh

Post by Cairidh »

Gavriel wrote:I mean that the food does not have the same taste each time you eat it. THe flavour changes each time you eat (the same) banannas.
Once it tastes very starchy and another time it is very sweet and a third time it tastes like spagetti.

Your body starts linking past tasting asociative experience to the foods you introduce. If you always introduce the same foods. You start tasting a whole world WITHIN those foods.

And the best part is that the next time you will try some starch, or spagetti it will taste worse than your bannans experience (the first time you try it - if you keep eating eat you will start craving for it and the whole thing colapses...).

Ga.
I've never found that with banana, or any other food, but always experience that with brazil nuts. They can be bread, cakes, biscuits, porridge, weetabix, crackers, meat, pies, burgers, just about anything. I was really disappointed the other day because I wanted brazil nuts and banana as together they often taste exactly like banana sandwiches. So I bought brazil nuts specially, and was very disappointed to find these particular brazil nuts tasted completely different from the banana-sandwich sort :(
Gavriel

Post by Gavriel »

tjfillion wrote:Amazing. Gavriel the post is so inspiring. I swear I'm teary and I never come close to crying.

It's funny, because since I started the diet everyone keeps asking me, "So when are you going to stop this?" And I don't have an answer for them. I don't even crave munch food. At all. Just the thought of eating it makes my stomach hurt. I'm glad to see that it's not in my head (placebo effect everyone keeps saying it to me) and raw is working so well for you.

I completely get the HAVE, DO, and BE. I've been working very hard with the DO and BE through the Alexander Technique and other methods, and all I've been missing is the HAVE. Great explanation.

Side-note: Love your website. Your playing's so beautiful. I played violin for 8 years until I came down with TMJ and I've been thinking about taking up cello for a while. Your playing definately seals the deal.

Wow - thanks tjfillion!

Now you make me cry... :)

Your message makes me so strong.
Where do you reside in the US exactly?

All best!

Gavriel.
tjfillion

Post by tjfillion »

Right now I'm in Metro-Detroit, MI and I'll be off to Ann Arbor (the most liberal city in Michigan) next year for college and an Alexander Technique Training Course.

Thanks,
Tim