knowledge is wonderful, but you need to keep questioning it

Share your testimony to encourage others.
sher
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

knowledge is wonderful, but you need to keep questioning it

Post by sher »

Hello all.
I am new to this forum. I came across the wai website about 2 1/2 years ago searching desperately for answers to cure acne that I developed and never had before until stopping the pill. I absolutely loved the diet and felt wonderful, etc. , but had to go back on bc due to ovarian cysts. Anyway, here I am again just because I've felt so unhealthy lately and am getting more cellulite. I've been back on the diet for almost 2 weeks now(not strict) and I feel wonderful.
I love reading thru the posts just for support... knowing that there are people who don't think I'm crazy or weird.
Thanks for all the answers so unselfishly.
CurlyGirl

Post by CurlyGirl »

Hi Sher,

What sort of results have you had with your acne and/or cellulite so far? We are always keen to hear how other people are progressing!
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Hello Sher and welcome to the forum. :)

Good to hear you feel wonderful again. :)
sher

Post by sher »

Well I had started to develop acne about 21/2 years ago. I wanted my body to work naturally so I decided to stop taking my birth control pills. Needless to say I developed acne on my face, chest and back. Everyday I would wake up with new zits that hurt so bad... I cried a lot :cry: Anyway, I just figured it would take awhile to get my hormones straightened out. Thought I would just have to wait it out. Anyway, I started doing research on the internet and found Wai's site. Everything made sense to me and I started immediately. I felt better but I didn't get results as fast (bc it was hormonal) as I wanted them and I was so self-conscious escpecially 'cause it was almost summertime and I did not want to wear tank tops, bathing suit , etc. My body felt better except constant lower tenderness in my side.(this was over about 4-5 months) I ended upgoing to the gyno and he took ultrasounds of my ovaries and found that I had developed polycystic ovaries. He decided to put me back on birth control. So basically my acne went away and I wasn't very strict on the Wai diet anymore.
Well I've always checked the site and everything. Then I got married and just started feeling unhealthy, my husband likes protein foods a lot. I felt tired and bloated a lot. Plus I started a new job, which has been a lot of work and didn't feel I had the energy to get thru my weeks.
So anyway, I am back on my cellulite has shrunk.I am 5'2" about 115 lbs. Not fat just had cellulite worsen. I'm more alert and happy, my body loves the nutrients!! My skin isn't bad anymore, but I'm still on the pill. I'm so afraid to go off of it due to what happened before. That was probably one of the hardest things I've been thru. I still don't know what to do about that.... :?: Because I would really love to go off of the pill. Also I noticed that I can bathe with water more often and not use soap. And I read a post where people feel more spiritual and that too has increased. It's like my vibrations in my body are higher and I am aware of that.... amongst other things.
Sorry so long..
sher

Post by sher »

Oh I forgot that I struggle with a mild-moderate case of IBS. When I eat Wai's way I have no problems whatsoever. My digestive system is perfect unless I eat prepared foods.. then I get constipated. In the past if I eat greasy prepared meat/foods sometimes my food woouldn't digest and I would get so nauseous I would throw up 3 hrs. after eating!!! But that is all gone now.
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

Hi Sher,
Saw that you are also from Ohio and a musician...I was born there but live in the Netherlands now, and am a cellist and cello teacher.

My thoughts on your situation would be to get very well established on the the Wai sample diet. Like really 100% for say 6 months and then go off the pill as the last thing after the 6 months. I've never been on it so I can't advise from experience but it seems like you are getting most all the benefits from the diet anyway. Just keep it up and worry about the pill later.
sula58

Post by sula58 »

Sher,
Yes, I can relate to your troubles with birth control! How long were you off of it for (before you had to go back on)?

As you probably know, the first three months of it are the worst. Not only did my skin break out (mostly on my neck, for some reason), but emotionally, it was like having my worst day of P.M.S....every single day. Crying jags and tantrums and all that. It was awful, so I hear you.

But after three months, it gets better. Supposedly it takes a full year, some even say a year and a half, for your body to completely forgive you for monopolizing its hormonal system so completely, and then everything's great. I hope that's encouraging for you. (I have been off of it a year now, and I feel great. The diet obviously helps.).
sher

Post by sher »

Hi Corinne and Sula:
Thanks for the replies, because I've really been stuck on this issue awhile. I was off of the pill for about 4months-5 months. But my acne was horrible and I had that tenderness from my ovaries. I think my body just didn't know how to adjust. But I felt like another person, like you said, Crying everyday, depression, if it was daylight and I had no makeup on I would cry if I looked in the mirror bc my skin looked so bad. Not like me at all. I think the worst thing was feeling so alone... trying to be on a diet everyone that no one understands and not being able to control my acne. But I was weak/vain bc I went back on the pill partly because it was almost summer and I had huge cysts on my back and chest... who wants to swim? or wear tank tops? I took the easier route.
I do think you are right about doing the diet strictly for 6 months and then going off the pill...which is about the time I would like to try getting pregnant which could open a "new can of worms". or could work out perfectly...

Corinne how long did you live in Ohio? I am a singer and a vocal music teacher.. how funny :lol:
Corinne

Post by Corinne »

Hi Sher,
I lived in Cincy until 1981...That's some time ago! I was seven when we left. Check out the "where is everybody from" thread.
Good luck on the diet and keep us posted!
zazuna

Difficult Choice: to Pill or not to Pill?

Post by zazuna »

Hi everyone,

My question goes to Sher mostly because I can relate to her problem with polycystic ovaries. My doctor prescribed Diane-35 and I have to start taking the pill today. It is a contraceptive but mostly designed to help with androgen-related disorders, like in my case. (which is also the cause of acne)
But I do not want to. I read so much about adverse side effects of Diane-35 and I generally try to be a naturalist in everything--consuming pills for several months on end would not make me happy. :evil:
My dilemma for today is whether I should start or not. I am thinking maybe I should give it a shot and try to be on Wai diet for a month and see what happens with my hormone levels.
PCOS is a hormonal disorder but it very much depends on the insulin levels and especially lately Western medicine started advocating diets for patients with PCOS, especially the low-glycemic diet. It has been proven to control the various syndroms of PCOS.
I do not NEED to use contraceptives actually so I would mostly be taking the pill to harmonize my androgen levels, but I am SO sceptical that I will have low-term positive results if I do not change the diet. Besides, I am really SCARED :? :shock: of the side effects.
Sher, I hope you are still posting on this forum. I would love to hear your opinion on this.
Also, maybe RRM can give some insight on whether the Wai diet is actually a good way to control PCOS syndromes (whish are hormonal but heavily depend on the diet).

Thank you so much!

Masha
zazuna

Post by zazuna »

http://www.ovarian-cysts-pcos.com/

For you, Sher, and for myself, here is a good site to start thinking about alternative treatments. For one, I am sticking to Wai diet whatever it takes me.

All the best to you Sher!

Masha
Bambi726

Post by Bambi726 »

Hi, Masha:)

I'm not sure if I have PCOS, but I've had at least two cysts that have burst, but I'm not sure what kind - ?(They could also be Fibroid Tumors?) So, my acne is definately hormonal. A supplement that REALLY helps me is called Vitalzym - it's a systemic enzyme supplement that eats away at proteins that don't belong in your body - such as excessive scar tissue, fibroids, etc, and is completely natural. Here's an article where it is said that estrogen dominance can be at the root of PCOS, and there are some suggestions for natural ways to overcome it toward the bottom of the article:

http://www.energeticnutrition.com/vital ... nance.html

Why not put off taking the pill for a couple months while you do some more research on natural methods and try them? I'm sure you already know this, but taking hormones will never help your body in the long run - it would only be a covering up of the symptoms.

I just read a wonderful book about how to monitor where your hormonal health is, as a woman, called "The Garden of Fertility." EVERY woman needs to read this book! It also includes a completely natural way to prevent pregnancy (proven to be about as effective as the pill when done correctly) or acheive pregnancy when a woman wants to do that. I just started the "charting" of my fertility signals, and I can't wait to see where I'm at, so I can see where my health is. It's just an amazing book that is extremely empowering to women, because it shows that we CAN have complete control over our bodies just by being aware of what certain things our bodies do mean, and we can monitor our health and monitor how certain things we do affect our health, which is awesome. I'm really excited about it! The technique is called "Fertility Awareness," and the woman who wrote this book has a site at http://www.gardenoffertility.com/ The book also has many natural suggestions of how you can improve your hormonal health. I think there were some other women on this board who were looking for natural birth control methods - I recommend this book to you too! It's great, fantastic wonderful! ;)

Anyway, I hope you're able to figure it all out in a way that makes you happy, Masha! :D

~Amber
zazuna

Post by zazuna »

Yay, this is such a helpful information!
I agree with you in that birth control pills can never solve the problem.
That's why I decided not to start the course today.
I will experiment with natural remedies first, and I am sure I will find the cure without the pill.

Thanks so much Amber, I will order the book because your advertisement was just irresistible. :roll:

Masha
Bambi726

Post by Bambi726 »

Yay :D I'm glad you're going to give it a try without the pill, Masha! And I'm glad you're going to get the book, too! :) Every woman should give it a thorough read. I've been searching a bit more about PCOS, and I found this site that says that the underlying cause of PCOS is Insulin Resistance, but I can't figure out if they mean only for overweight women or not. I'm not overweight, though I'm about 10-15 lbs heavier than I'd like to be. Anyway, they have a supplement system that is supposed to help reverse PCOS within about 6 months. It seems like it's supplements that you take until your symptoms are gone, and then you don't have to take it anymore, which would be ideal, but I'm going to read more about it. Here's the link:
http://pcos.insulitelabs.com/index.php

I think I also have problems with elevated male hormones, though I'm not sure if it is PCOS or not. I have some annoying excess hair(argh!) , acne, quite a bit of hair falls out when I wash my hair, etc. Though I don't think Wai's diet can balance hormones all on it's own, I think the clean, raw protein and cholesterol that is included in the diet really helps with hormone production, so that if you're able to get balanced in a different way, such as with herbs, this diet would support the production of the hormones you need. On a side note, I had very bad cramps yesterday (I haven't been taking my supplements that usually help regularly :?), and I was resisting taking a pain killer, but I was just miserable, so I decided to take an Advil, which usually completely takes away my cramps. An hour and a half passed, and I was in the same amount of pain, so I decided to have a banana with four egg yolks, and Voila! my cramps were gone in 10 minutes.

Another thing I've heard of that helps (I haven't tried it) with hormonal balance is the root "maca maca," but I think you have to keep on taking it in order for it to keep on helping. It would probably be good to take for relief maybe while you're finding something that will completely reverse it - that would be ideal. Of course there are nutrients that we need to get in our bodies everyday, but I'd like to at least be able to be completely independent of any daily supplements, even if they are just herbs or enzymes, do you know what I mean. My ideal level of health would be: if I were stranded on a deserted island for five+ years (which I would LOVE:D) then I would want to be able to be completely healthy just eating good food on the island, ie fruits, fish, coconut...and hopefully there would be some sort of egg-laying bird on the island! ;)

Lastly, if PCOS is caused mainly by Insulin Resistance, I would image that Wai's diet would help because it insures that the blood sugar level remains stable.

Can someone answer about that? - Insulin Resistance and the Wai diet. IR is where you have up to 75% less insulin receptors per cell than a "healthy"person, and so the extra insulin and glucose that is not able to be received by the cells is hanging out in your blood causing havoc. Specifically, the effect of excess insulin on the ovaries is heavy production of testosterone. So, does the Wai diet keep insulin from being released as much because of the balance of fats and sugars, or does it just cause the insulin to be released at a slower rate, but the same amount? Thanks :)

Well, there's a start on a more natural way to help hormonal balance - perhaps if we can figure out how to get our hormones balanced naturally, Wai can add a chapter to her book about how to get rid of even hormonal acne, for those whose acne is not helped by diet alone.:D

~Amber
CurlyGirl

Post by CurlyGirl »

I have the book, The Garden of Fertility, and it is indeed wonderful. My partner and I use it to guide us through the maze that is natural fertility awareness. It is extremely effective if you are both dedicated to each other and to the method... very difficult to adhere to if you are not in a monogamous relationship based on trust and respect!! But I think there are few things more important for a woman's health than to be in tune with her fertility cycle, which thus brings her in tune with her emotional states too and can help her 'sense' when things are wrong physically before they even manifest as obvious symptoms.

Masha, I also think you are VERY wise not to go on the pill, and to seek out alternative methods to heal yourself.

Amber :-) - a 1999 study in the journal Steroids reported that serious reproductive disorders like PCOS could be corrected by supplementation with vitamin D (especially cod-liver oil), and a study published in 2003 in the Mayo Clinic Proceedings showed that women with PCOS could drastically relieve their symptoms (and lose weight also) by consuming ample quantities of medium-chaim saturated fats (like coconut oil).

Also, don't forget that the body needs ample vitamin A for every step of hormone production from cholesterol to oestrogen and progesterone. Fibroid tumours caused by hormonal imbalance have been completely eliminated with high doses of vitamin A (up to 90,000 IU daily). (See the work of Dr Mary Enig for more on this - many of her articles can be sourced through PubMed online.) Most importantly, to heal PCOS or other disorders, you MUST eliminate trans-fatty acids from your diet. Trans fats interfere with the enzymes necessary to make sex hormones out of cholesterol. (Fortunately on the Wai diet we don't normally consume trans fats, but watch out for them in your munchfoods.)