Safety of natural (as opposed to synthetical) supplements

About specific vitamines, minerals or fiber, for example
andyville
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Safety of natural (as opposed to synthetical) supplements

Post by andyville »

I have read many reports on the risks associated with taking dietary supplements; according to these, too much of certain vitamins or minerals can be harmful for the body. Does the same logic apply to natural supplements, such as spirulina?

Any help is much appreciated,
Andy.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I would think that since spirulina is basically heated seaweed protein, it's harmful anyway. Otherwise it depends on the amount of specific nutrients involved, which I don't know.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

'Natural' supplements pose the same danger. Its about the levels of nutrients they contain. And i agree with Oscar.
Why not just consume the foods that are high in the nutrient that you think you are lacking? http://www.waidiet.com/nutrients/foodpernut.html
andyville

Post by andyville »

Oscar: Good point (regarding heated protein). I find it very unlikely that the spirulina pills are produced at low temperatures...

RRM: Thanks a lot for the link, I had not seen it before. From reading the iodine article on Wikipedia I was under the impression that you could only get iodine from seafood - as I avoid seafood I became concerned by this information.
andyville

Post by andyville »

Speaking about natural and synthetical supplements:

What is the difference, anyway? Let's say I buy some pills at the drug store that contain vitamin B12. I believe this B12 must come from some natural source, or is it possible to synthesize "from scratch" in the lab? If the sources of the vitamin B12 (along with all the other vitamins and minerals contained in the pills) are all natural, then I guess the traditional multivitamin pills are not "less natural" than spirulina, right...?
dionysus

Post by dionysus »

From what (little) i have read on websites. I believe foods contain other compounds which help the uptake of the nutrients efficiently.
Negativity is the cult of the weak
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I'm not sure, but I think you're right. B12 can't be synthesized in a lab, so its source will always be natural. In the case of supplements I don't think that is the issue though. It's more the uncontrolled input of huge quantities of micronutrients, as well as the possible harmful effects of the pills themselves.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Exactly. The body partly recognises all nutrients by the package the come in (food). (Un)Natural supplements are not such a package, and are way too concentrated, so that the body has more problems taking up exactly what it needs. (with supplements its possible to cause too high intakes)
fictor

Post by fictor »

Spirulina is dried at low temperatures. Like less than 40 degrees celcius.
That cant be considered "heated"?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Is that always the case?
Ive seen spirulina pills that must have been processed way more intensively.
fictor

Post by fictor »

I can in no way guarantee for all spirulina on the market, but at
least the spriulina and grass juice powders from the
manufacturer called 'pure planet' is not heated any more
than to 31 degrees C., or so it says on the label.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Ok, but why would you want to take it?
Gerard

equilibrium

Post by Gerard »

Is it easier to take up far too much calcium from supplements than from milk (dairy products) for this reason of concentration?

I still do not quite grasp how the body may distinguish what it needs-- but be unable to shun 'too much' of something-- as you have described it.

Is part of the problem with 'too much' of something (including a toxin) that in excreting it from the body, the body itself incurs damage just from having it pass through the organism's system?
fictor

Post by fictor »

RRM wrote:Ok, but why would you want to take it?
Good quality protein, multiple vitamins and minerals.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

fictor wrote:
RRM wrote:Ok, but why would you want to take it?
Good quality protein
What makes you think that its quality is good?
How much protein does it contain per 100 gram and how much of that is methionine and cystine?

Vitamins and minerals are abundant in this diet; there is no need whatsoever to supplement them.