beta carotene

About specific vitamines, minerals or fiber, for example
johndela1
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

beta carotene

Post by johndela1 »

I am confused by this. I'n re-reading the wai book I have seen these things:

"Animal food contains all the necessary nutrients except for containing far too little (or no)
vitamin C and beta-carotene."

and

"Carotenes (including lutein, zeaxhantin and beta-carotene) ; Dried apricots, muskmelon and
carrots contain most, but also papaya, persimmon, tree tomatoes, mango, mandarin, loquats
and watermelon contain much carotenes. Vitamin A is composed of ß-carotene. Also do egg
yolk, tuna and salmon contain much vitamin A.
"

the second quote lists animal foods under carontenes
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Vitamin A isn't the same as ß-carotene, so if animal food contains vitamin A, it's not the same if it would contain ß-carotene.
mario91

beta-carotene

Post by mario91 »

For the last 2 months I've been ingesting large amounts of carotenes (not retinols). About 30k IU a day. First from dried goji berries, then from juice with added vitamins, and now from organic carrots that I dry myself at home (the healthiest way imo.)
My skin has become in a great yellow/orange color, and is also much healthier in general - more sebum/oil production, more flexibility and much less irritation (I still had these kind of problems, even in 100% Wai for months, due to a skin condition that i have). Ofc I don't think this is needed for people without skin problems, but I just wanted to share this interesting experience of mine.
dime

Re: vitamin A

Post by dime »

Hm, yellow/orange skin color doesn't sounds so great to me, maybe it's a sign that you're overdoing it.
mario91

Post by mario91 »

dime wrote:Hm, yellow/orange skin color doesn't sounds so great to me, maybe it's a sign that you're overdoing it.
I've google it, it's not. It's just the carotenoids that accumulate on the skin, giving it the color. You can safely consume up to 80kIU a day.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

There is evidence that elevated carotenoids increases lung cancer risk in smokers. Blumberg J et al, Omenn GS et al, Goodman GE et al
Maybe there is also an increased risk when exposed to exhaust fumes.
mario91

Re: beta carotene

Post by mario91 »

RRM wrote:There is evidence that elevated carotenoids increases lung cancer risk in smokers. Blumberg J et al, Omenn GS et al, Goodman GE et al
Maybe there is also an increased risk when exposed to exhaust fumes.
Yep, also read that on wikipedia.
Fortunately I'm not a smoker, and get very few times into smoking places.
About exhaust fumes, well we all are a bit exposed to, but i don't know, I'm gonna keep on doing this a little bit, my skin got so much better... It seems weird that 2 carrots (plus a few oranges) a day will increase the risk of lung cancer, though.