starch

About specific vitamines, minerals or fiber, for example
johndela1
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

starch

Post by johndela1 »

I've been under the impression (I think this may be incorrect) that starch is bad.

Is the starch in bananas the same as the starch in grains?

I gave up eating grains because I didn't want to eat starch but I'm starting to think that grains are bad because the toxins not necessarily the starch.
RRM
Administrator

Re: starch

Post by RRM »

johndela1 wrote:I've been under the impression (I think this may be incorrect) that starch is bad.
Starch is not bad. Starch is a complex sugar (a long chain of glucose molecules) naturally present in bananas, indeed; about 2.8%.
Unlike in bananas, starch generally comes with other complex sugars that are very hard to digest for humans (when consumed raw).
Low levels of starch are found in many veggies, and in Jackfruit 0.7%, peanut 5.5%, potato 14%, breadfruit 16.8%, sweet potato 14.9%, taro (coco-yam) 23%, sweet chestnut 27.8%.
Is the starch in bananas the same as the starch in grains?
No, they differ in length, but thats not the issue. Its not the starches that are bad. For us, its not natural to consume grains and beans, and only grains and beans contain very high levels of starches;
(wheat whole meal bread 30.6%, chick pea 39%, white wheat bread 39.6%, cowpea 39.8%, rye bread 40%, black gram 40.1%, mung bean 41.6%, lima bean 43%, pigeon pea 44.3%, lentil 50.8%. rusk (cracker) 53.7%, pasta made with eggs 64.5%)
Thats why they are often referred to as 'starchy foods'.
I gave up eating grains because I didn't want to eat starch but I'm starting to think that grains are bad because the toxins not necessarily the starch.
Exactly, the opioid peptides, toxins and anti-nutrients.