phosphates / phosphorus

About specific vitamines, minerals or fiber, for example
johndela1
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

phosphates / phosphorus

Post by johndela1 »

I am trying to ask the raw fooders (vegan) why they feel the need to eat greens. This is a response I got. Does this make sense? (The part about phosphates being needed)

"Phosphates.

Next to a sugar & an amino acid, a phosphate is an essential requirement for proper cell replication (remember DNA & RNA from biology class, and there was always that mysterious "P" hanging around? that's the phosphate, and phosphates come from green leafy things).

Without phosphates (i.e. green leafy things) you cannot have normal cell replication - in other words you hugely increase your chances of getting cancer if you don't eat leafy greens.

Now I do think that after transitioning from cooked to raw you can eventually do a high fruit diet, but you can't succeed on high fruit without putting years of green leafy things in your body first. Then you prob will have a mineral & phosphate surplus & your body will naturally crave just fruits.

That's my hypothesis anyway. But the phosphates, that's not theory - that's a fact."
RRM
Administrator

Re: phosphates

Post by RRM »

johndela1 wrote:I am trying to ask the raw fooders (vegan) why they feel the need to eat greens. This is a response I got. Does this make sense? (The part about phosphates being needed)
Yes, phosphates are needed.
But no, it doesnt make sense, because fruits contain all the phosphates you need. (and egg yolks and fish of course)
And its far easier to consume a few kg of fruits than a few kg of leavy greens.... :shock:

Phosphates are 'listed under' phosphorus (mg/per 100 g).

590 egg yolks
266 salmon
200 tuna

108 dried figs
73 dried plums
57 dried dates
38 avocado
31 kiwi
29 strawberries
28 banana
23 orange
23 peach
20 mandarins
13 mango

leavy greens:
87 kale
55 spinach
49 lamb's lettuce
46 leek
22 lettuce
avalon

Post by avalon »

Sorry, I hadn't seen this
RRM wrote:
And its far easier to consume a few kg of fruits than a few kg of leavy greens....
Unless you blend, or juice your greens, yes?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

avalon wrote:Unless you blend, or juice your greens, yes?
Regarding chewing and getting the stuff down your throat, you are right.
Regarding digesting the greens, its still far harder.
avalon

Post by avalon »

RRM:
Regarding digesting the greens, its still far harder.
Without getting into the oxalate debate, are you saying Orange Juice, let's say, is easier to digest than juiced Kale?

I'm asking because I have not compared juice digestion regarding fruit juice and the juice of Greens.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

avalon wrote:are you saying Orange Juice, let's say, is easier to digest than juiced Kale?
Absolutely. Due to the anti-nutrients in Kale.
Biev

How much fish to meet phosphorus RDA?

Post by Biev »

Am I right to estimate that in order to reach the FDA's RDA for phosphorus requirement, we would have to eat around 10 slices of sashimi or 10 egg yolks a day? o.O Unless, I underestimated the weight of a slice of sashimi (4g?)

Phosphorus is essential for good teeth and I've been thinking lack of it might be why mine feel like they're just dissolving away, but I'd like to try to avoid having to take supplements.
RRM
Administrator

Re: How much fish to meet phosphorus RDA?

Post by RRM »

Biev wrote:Am I right to estimate that in order to reach the FDA's RDA for phosphorus requirement, we would have to eat around 10 slices of sashimi or 10 egg yolks a day?
No, thats not correct.
Everything contains phosphorus.
For example; even if i consume only orange juice (3.5 L), bananas (5) and avocadoes (2), and thereby meet (2931kcal) the average male energy requirements (2900 kcal), I will ingest 919 mg phosphorus, whereas the RDA for phosphorus is 800 mg.

Eating also 40 grams of tuna would supply you with an extra 80 mg of phosphorus.
Check out the nutrient calculator. http://www.waidiet.com/nutrients/waicalcsimple.html
I've been thinking lack of it might be why mine feel like they're just dissolving away
Obviously that cannot be the cause.
Check out the teeth thread : viewtopic.php?t=133
Biev

Post by Biev »

Of course this was an exaggeration, lack of phosphorus isn't what's causing the demineralization in the first place but it is essential for the enamel to remineralize, and aside from that one factor I think I'm meeting every possible criteria for healthy teeth. But anyway that discussion is better saved for the other thread.

I think once again the difference between your diet and mine, is that I can't drink the orange juice. Without juice it's really hard to eat enough to meet the RDA for almost everything. To get 800mg of phosphorus I would have to eat 20 bananas and 5 avocados!
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Biev wrote:Without juice it's really hard to eat enough to meet the RDA for almost everything. To get 800mg of phosphorus I would have to eat 20 bananas and 5 avocados!
Thats not correct.
Nobody eats just bananas and avocadoes.
We specifically advise to eat fish or egg yolks as well, which are filled with nutrients. Nuts are also a good source of nutrients.

Please try again by submitting a more balanced version of your diet to the nutrient calculator.