Administrator

Post by RRM »

Excellent!
Good article...
Thank you John.
fred

Fibers and antinutrients

Post by fred »

Does juicing fruits remove all the indigestible material in the fruits, including Oligosaccharides, Di-saccharides, Polyols, all poorly absorbed short-chain carbohydrates and sugar alcohols (sorbitol, xylitol, mannitol and maltitol) ?
Or is there some possible antinutrients or difficult to digest stuff left even after juicing ?
Does the pulp in fruits include all antinutrients ?
Oscar
Administrator

Re: Fibers and antinutrients

Post by Oscar »

Oligosaccharides = short-chain sugars, for all practical purposes the same as mono-saccharides = glucose, fructose
Di-saccharides = two sugar molecules, like sucrose (glucose+fructose)
Polyols = sorbitol, xylitol, mannitol and maltitol

The first two are quite common in fruits, and are the sugars we want. They aren't indigestible, so we don't really want to remove them. ;)
The last are not present in fruits, as far as I know.
Difficult to digest stuff = fibers, which can be mostly removed by using a sieve.
fred

Post by fred »

Oscar wrote:Oligosaccharides = short-chain sugars, for all practical purposes the same as mono-saccharides = glucose, fructose
Di-saccharides = two sugar molecules, like sucrose (glucose+fructose)
Polyols = sorbitol, xylitol, mannitol and maltitol

The first two are quite common in fruits, and are the sugars we want. They aren't indigestible, so we don't really want to remove them. ;)
Fructan is an oligosaccharide that is not digested in the small intestine and can cause intestinal symptoms in some sensitive individuals (like me I guess).
The last are not present in fruits, as far as I know.
Polyols ARE present in fruits, for example sorbitol in apple and pear. xylitol in papaya, stawberries, etc.

See : http://www.healthhype.com/foods-high-in ... dmaps.html
Difficult to digest stuff = fibers, which can be mostly removed by using a sieve.
I meant : does filtering a juice remove ALL the problematic components naturally present in fruits ?
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

fred wrote:Fructan is an oligosaccharide that is not digested in the small intestine and can cause intestinal symptoms in some sensitive individuals (like me I guess).
From Wikipedia: A fructan is a polymer of fructose molecules. They occur in foods such as agave, artichokes, asparagus, green beans, leeks, onions (including spring onions), yacon, jícama, and wheat.
Your link also confirms it's only present in foods which are not on the diet anyway, so no worries there I guess.
fred wrote:Polyols ARE present in fruits, for example sorbitol in apple and pear. xylitol in papaya, stawberries, etc.
Yes you're correct. I would think that juicing nor sieving would completely remove all possible problematic elements. I know that excessive consumption of sorbitol can cause diarrhea, but I don't think excessive levels are that easily reached. I also wonder how polyol aggravation compares to fiber aggravation.
fred

Post by fred »

Oscar wrote:
fred wrote:Fructan is an oligosaccharide that is not digested in the small intestine and can cause intestinal symptoms in some sensitive individuals (like me I guess).
From Wikipedia: A fructan is a polymer of fructose molecules. They occur in foods such as agave, artichokes, asparagus, green beans, leeks, onions (including spring onions), yacon, jícama, and wheat.
Your link also confirms it's only present in foods which are not on the diet anyway, so no worries there I guess.
Fruits contain fructans (albeit less than vegetables) :

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=18985859

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_o ... archtype=a

Interesting : "The maturity of the fruit appears to have a great influence on the level of GF2."
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

The riper the fruit, the less anti-nutrients as well.
The question is though, if such small amounts cause the problems you're having.
fred

Post by fred »

Oscar wrote:The riper the fruit, the less anti-nutrients as well.
The question is though, if such small amounts cause the problems you're having.
Well, on a fruit based diet like Wai, I am not surprised than sensitive people can have problems with them.
One solution may be to vary fruits, in order to vary the antinutrients intake.