Opioid Peptides

About specific vitamines, minerals or fiber, for example
Ducky
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Opioid Peptides

Post by Ducky »

"Gluten is a composite of the proteins gliadin and glutenin. These exist, conjoined with starch, in the endosperms of some grass-related grains, notably wheat, rye, and barley."

So the opioid peptides are in the gluten of some seeds.

Does anybody know if bulgur or quinoa contain opioid peptides too?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opioid_peptides
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluten

An interesting hypothesis about opioid peptides:

"Gluten exorphines are a group of opioid peptides which are formed during digestion of the gluten protein. It has been hypothesized that children with autism have abnormal leakage from the gut of these compounds, which then pass into the brain and disrupt brain function. "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluten_exorphin
RRM
Administrator

Re: Opioid Peptides

Post by RRM »

Ducky wrote: Does anybody know if bulgur or quinoa contain opioid peptides too?
Couldnt find any info about that.
Why?
Ducky

Post by Ducky »

Thought about it for munch food with OO.

I steamed a little bulgur then waited until it chilled down a bit then put some OO and a yolk on it and it was delicious.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Bulgur and quinoa are bad munch foods as they are high in protein (as all grains are). There is a munchfood section in the free acne book:
http://www.freeacnebook.com/47-53.htm#52
Last edited by RRM on Tue 15 Jun 2010 09:41, edited 1 time in total.
Ducky

Post by Ducky »

Bulgur contains 11g/100g protein. Its in the middle range.

Potato looks good with only 2g/100g.
avo

Post by avo »

Isn't bulgur just cracked wheat? And therefore contain gluten?

Quinoa, millet, buckwheat, rice, oats, and quite a few other grains do not contain gluten. Perhaps one of these would be a better choice.
Ducky

Post by Ducky »

Thanks Avo for the info.

Concerning bulgur:
Bulgur is often confused with cracked wheat, which is made from crushed wheat grains which have not been germinated nor parboiled.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulgur
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Ducky wrote:Bulgur btw contains 11g/100g protein. Its in the middle range.
We consider that high protein, compared to the low protein munch foods.
avo wrote:Quinoa, millet, buckwheat, rice, oats, and quite a few other grains do not contain gluten. Perhaps one of these would be a better choice.
Because they contain relatively much protein, all grains are considered a bad choice for munch foods.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

From another thread:
summerwave wrote:I have had various adjustments to the Wai diet, as there were different sugars I could digest better or worse at different times...

It turns out there is a sensitivity in my body to fructose and fructans; I tried monosaccharides only for a long time, thinking it was sucrose that was the problem; then it seemed of fructose and glucose/dextrose, the former was really a problem, and the more of the latter I ate the better.

So in reading about fructans, having a test done (positive), then trying things out, I read that sourdough wheat bread (just flour, water, salt, and culture) is digestible because the 'souring' destroys the fructans. In an idle moment, I decided to try it. (I haven't eaten wheat in 20 years)....

I immediately felt foggy, and fell asleep for 12 HOURS..... I couldn't believe it. Opioid peptides?

That was at night, and I had been working hard, so the next day (a weekend), I tried about 2 ounces of bread again... and slept solidly in the afternoon for FOUR HOURS. (!!!!!).

I believe in opioid peptides, now....
gracie wrote:Interesting, can you recommend a website that lists how foods would be classified, according to sucrose/fructose/glucose etc. levels?

I also believe in the power of opioid peptides and beta-carbolines! I've been experimenting with munch foods lately and have discovered the same thing:

Experiment #1: I ate a bowl of pasta, and 15 minutes later, I felt high. And not in a fun way. This dissipated into a horrible "brain fog" that only went away after a couple days. It took me almost a week to stop feeling lethargic. Yuck.

--Experiment#2:
I sprinkled a little goat cheese on my salad, which I enjoyed and I felt fine. So the next day I got excited and ate ALL the cheese (I guess I woke up those evil opioid peptide receptors!). I immediately felt high and experienced bad water retention. I even canceled my social plans for the next two days and sent my boyfriend to do my grocery shopping because I didn't want to be seen (he was like, "...HOW many oranges?!") I felt so bloated. And very mentally clogged and out of it.
I can't even look at dairy now.

Experiment #3: In the name of science, I committed a Wai diet cardinal sin and tried cooked meat. Twice. The first time, I ate some chicken and, 20 minutes later, had the worst cramps I've ever experienced from eating anything. It really hurt, like I was being stabbed.
I rationalized later that I hadn't eaten cooked meat in many months, so perhaps I'd simply shocked my body. (although I digest raw meat perfectly fine) So in order to get a "real reaction" (or possibly to indulge my craving), I tried some more chicken a couple days later. No stomach cramps this time.
But like you, Summerwave, I completely passed out. It was noon and I haven't taken a daytime nap since I was about five years old. It was like my body was going into automatic-lock down mode, and couldn't spare its energy on any frivolous activities such as consciousness.
I woke up bloated, tired, and was constipated for a week. Ugh, not worth it.

My lesson: I am sensitive when it comes to food, and the Wai diet wipes the dietary slate clean. Combine the two, and my body is able to spot "problem food" from a mile away.
Pretty cool...
And as the meat experiment showed (cramps at first, then not), I'm sure I could start eating these foods regularly and get less severe reactions. But why would I want to do that, if I now see what they do?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Split off from a different thread:
Kasper wrote:
Oscar wrote:
Kasper wrote:I find out that my body really wants cheese.

I haven't been eating cheese for like 2 months since yesterday, but yesterday I bought some orangic raw cheese to try, and I really couldn't stop myself from eating it. I ate one piece of cheese (400 grams) in just like 30 minutes.

I read about the addictive substances in cheese, but I thought I could maybe something different.
Maybe you underestimate the power of addiction?
Well I believe I open totally open for it. Usually, I don't condemn myself about such things...

But can you be addicted at once, when you haven't eaten it in two months ?

Or am I still addicted from my past cheese-rich past ?

On the other hand, I don't feel like eating cheese at the moment ... I'm also a little bit full of egg yolks, but I'll report more about my cravings for cheese as it happens.

But, yesterday I was craving for it, it felt a little bit the same as my cravings at chocolate in the past. Sometimes when I was depressed I ate a lot at once, I heard that had something to do with magnesium, also a mineral...
Addiction is usually for life (alcohol, heroine).
There are a number of psychoactive ingredients in chocolate.
A need for magnesium is extremely unlikely.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

In another thread, Oscar wrote:
Kasper wrote:
RRM wrote:Addiction is usually for life (alcohol, heroine).
But then almost everyone at this forum or even in the western world should be addicted to wheat and milk products for life ?
That is correct.
Kasper wrote:How can this diet be so easy for everyone if everyone is addicted for life to this products?
That's the point...it is not easy at all. As a matter of fact, it is one of the hardest things to do. That's also why only so few people succeed, and keep succeeding at it. I may sound pessimistic, but unfortunately that's reality.
The upside is that the rewards of being on this diet are so great, you really want to stay on it. Plus, after kicking the cooked food habit, getting the diet to work for you, and being 100%, the addiction loses its grip and you will not be thinking about it much anymore.
But make no mistake, if you are in the presence of food and food-social circumstances you used to love, the urge to try out "if it still tastes as good as it used to" will pop up for sure. And giving in to that urge will be like biking without brakes: hard to stop.

Yes, we are all addicted, and will be until we die. ;)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Kasper wrote:
Oscar wrote:That's the point...it is not easy at all. As a matter of fact, it is one of the hardest things to do. That's also why only so few people succeed, and keep succeeding at it. I may sound pessimistic, but unfortunately that's reality.
You sound pessimistic indeed.. I don't think this diet is hard. And it is surely not one of the hardest things to do for me..

I think that the reason that people don't succeed has more to do with not eating enough. If I don't eat enough animal food. I fail. If I don't eat enough fat. I fail. But if I eat enough coconut oil with my fruits and enough animal food this diet is pretty easy for me.
RRM wrote: Addiction is usually for life (alcohol, heroine).
I feel like you two are doing a little bit dramatic..

I can't believe that the addictions for wheat and milk are in the same line as alcohol and heroine... I mean every baby should be addicted to mother milk, but I believe you can't compare the urge of heroine addict to get heroine with a baby whose mom is not producing milk anymore.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Kasper wrote:I don't think this diet is hard.
That may be true, but for many people it is very hard.
Just look at the people going on and off the diet.
I think that the reason that people don't succeed has more to do with not eating enough.
Thats absolutely one of the main reasons.
I can't believe that the addictions for wheat and milk are in the same line as alcohol and heroine...
Same level, no. Same line, yes.
Some of the opioid peptides in wheat-gluten, for example, are even way more powerful than a morphine molecule.
Max ,B., This and that : an artefactual alkaloid and its peptide analogs. Trends Pharmacol. Sci. 1992 / 13 (9) / 341-345.
Fukudome, S. et al, Gluten exorphin C : a novel opioid peptide derived from wheat gluten. FEBS Lett. 1993 / 316 (1) / 17-19.
you can't compare the urge of heroine addict to get heroine with a baby whose mom is not producing milk anymore.
Its not the same level (power) of addiction, but yes, you certainly can compare the urge.
In both cases there will be an urge, comparable, but not equally powerful.

You can clearly notice the effects of such opioid peptides when feeding cats, for example.
There is one cat at my work whom i always feed raw top quality tender beef, tilapia and tuna. She loves it, and eats it with great joy.
As she gets more full, one sees that she eats a bit slower, and at the end, repeatedly contemplating whether to eat yet another small piece.
When she's done, she stretches and starts cleaning herself.
When im off, she gets dry and/or canned food, 2 days a week.
Yesterday, she was half full when i ran out of fresh food for her, and i gave her some canned food, covered in a sauce containing some wheat as well.
She attacked it as if she was starved and rapidly swallowed it until the point that her stomach couldnt handle any additional food, and she suddenly stopped.
She didnt stretch; she just slowly and carefully walked away, as if she tried not to throw up.
Of course this is no evidence. Just an observation.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I think there are several factors in play:
- getting enough energy and 'happy food' (like you mentioned)
- individual level of addiction: some people are more prone to get addicted than others; maybe the duration of addiction plays a role too
- susceptibility to/amount of peer pressure
- presence/availability of addictive food/substances
- influence of social circumstances

I think I forgot one...

In any case, more people are eating (cooked) wheat and milk than are using heroin ;)
Btw, how was the goat cheese? ;)
Kasper

Post by Kasper »

okay, you two convinced me.

After eating 2L OJ a day, plenty of kiwi's and some cheese for 5 days, I've got to have enough calcium in my diet...

But my urge for cheese is still much to high..
You can clearly notice the effects of such opioid peptides when feeding cats, for example.
It's indeed interesting, my behaviour is really comparable with your observations of that cat. I'm not eating until I'm full, but eating until I feel sick.
Actually, I feel sick right now...
Btw, how was the goat cheese? Wink
The goat cheese is delicious but I don't like myself eating until I'm sick, so I quit with cheese.

Still, I don't think this diet is hard.

It is hard to quit eating cheese when I began.
It's easy to not buy cheese (- presence/availability of addictive food/substances ;) )