Opioid Peptides

About specific vitamines, minerals or fiber, for example
Oscar
Administrator
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Post by Oscar »

Your behavior is quite in line with what I've seen/noticed so far. Craving wise it's easier to go cold turkey and resist the urge. Of course it still needs a certain amount of willpower to do so.

Can you resist the cheese urge/craving next time?
Kasper

Post by Kasper »

Oscar wrote:Can you resist the cheese urge/craving next time?
I might be able to resist the urge, I've eaten milk and cheese my first 18 years, and I've resist the urges to some degree.

But, I don't like to resist to urges...
I like to find my natural me. How it's suppossed to be. After eating salmon/tuna/eggs, I feel great, full and satisfied.
After eating cheese, I feel like.. I could get another slice... why not ?
I don't like that feeling. I like to feel statisfied.
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

I know exactly what you mean, and I think you'll do fine now you know/have experienced this.

Of course there is a difference between the natural urge for energy and the 'unnatural' craving for addictive substances, and it's not always easy to distinguish them, especially in the beginning. In my experience the craving will get less and less over time (if you don't give in to it). At the moment my cravings are only periodical musings, wonderings if certain things would still taste good or not (even if I know they don't/won't).
Ducky

Opioid peptides in gluten

Post by Ducky »

Hello!

I'm sorry for being obnoxious but do you have any proof that opioid peptides in gluten influence endorphin receptors in the brain
in healthy individuals too?

After what i can read on the internet its something to do with people who have celiac disease or some other problems
in their stomach.

For example there are a lot of vegetarians who are eating a lot of bread and pizza and such, and they don't look like zombies to me at all.
Oscar
Administrator

Re: Opioid peptides in gluten

Post by Oscar »

Form Wikipedia:
Opioid peptides are short sequences of amino acids that bind to opioid receptors in the brain; opiates and opioids mimic the effect of these peptides.
Endorphins ("endogenous morphine") are endogenous opioid peptides...
Ducky

Re: Opioid peptides in gluten

Post by Ducky »

Shame on me! :-)
djkvan

Are there opioids in meat too?...

Post by djkvan »

http://www.greenmedinfo.com/article/mil ... properties
During the last two decades a variety of food protein fragments has been demonstrated to elicit biological effects in various in vitro or in vivo test systems. A considerable part of these bioactive peptides are opioid receptor ligands, which may be regarded as exogenous supplements to the endogenous opioidergic systems of the human organism. Most of these food-derived opioid receptor ligands are fragments of the milk proteins alpha-, beta- or kappa-casein, alpha-lactalbumin, beta-lactoglobulin or lactotransferrin; however, also wheat gluten, rice albumin, bovine serum albumin or hemoglobin, i.e. possible constituents of meat, and even a protein from spinach could be demonstrated to contain fragments behaving like opioid receptor ligands. Practically all of these compounds display opioid agonist activity; only very few of them behave like opioid antagonists. Bioactive food protein derivatives have been termed " food hormones", which implies that these compounds display their bioactivities when released from food constituents, i.e. from their precursor molecules due to the action of gastrointestinal enzymes. The critical point in case of food protein-derived opioid receptor ligands is that only a minority of their bioactive effects demonstrated as yet has been observed upon oral or intragastric administration of these peptides or their precursor proteins and that most of these studies have been performed in animals. Thus, in terms of "evidence-based dietary supplementation" more studies are needed to prove effects of food protein-derived opioid receptor ligands or their precursors after oral administration in humans and, moreover, to prove a benefit for the consumer's organism

All I know is that I crave meat at times. but when I sit down to eat it I become slightly repulsed regardless of its origin. A psychological event or a natural instinct? No one ever taught me to feel this way. My mom always consumed meat, though in more recent years she has been consuming chicken and fish for the most part.
I do so like green eggs and ham. Thank you, thank you. Sam I am.
RRM
Administrator

Re: Opioid Peptides

Post by RRM »

Potentially, all foods may provide a little opioid peptides, as all foods contain large proteins,
which contain almost an infinite number of different sequences of amino acids,
including those with opioid properties.
Digesting food other than wheat and milk, however, extremely few of these opioid peptides may actually 'survive',
as little foods are designed by nature to yield surviving opioid peptides.

Here are a few amino acids sequences with opioid properties:

Glycine-Tyrosine-Tyrosine-Proline
Tyrosine-Glycine-Glycine-Tryptophane
Tyrosine-Proline-Isoleucine-Serine-Leucine
Tyrosine-Glycine-Glycine-Tryptophane-Leucine (the most powerful opioid peptide, in wheat)

There are many more though.
RRM
Administrator

Re: Opioid Peptides

Post by RRM »

Opioid peptides in rice Teschemacher H et al, soy Ohinata K et al and spinach Hirata H et al
Tyr-Pro-Leu-Asp-Leu is the amino acid sequence of the spinach opioid peptide: Rubiscolin-5. Artemova NV et al
Ducky

Opioid peptides

Post by Ducky »

I searched and haven't found any scientific paper on this issue.

So if anybody has one I would like to see evidence that:

1. opioid peptides don't get denatured by heat

2. opioid peptides survive the digesting process and keep their functionality

For example peptide hormones like insulin and growth hormone have to be injected in the blood because taken orally they are digested thus have no effects.
Unlike many medicines, insulin currently cannot be taken orally because, like nearly all other proteins introduced into the gastrointestinal tract, it is reduced to fragments (even single amino acid components), whereupon all activity is lost.
So that's very much possible that opioid peptides end up the same way.
Oscar
Administrator

Re: Italians eat a lot of wheat

Post by Oscar »

Meisel H, FitzGerald RJ., 2000: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11242443
Kitts DD, Weiler K., 2003: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12769739 Peptides with opioid activities are derived from wheat gluten or casein, following digestion with pepsin. [and more]
Ducky

Post by Ducky »

And how can we read the original article , experience? It's just an abstract.
Ducky

Post by Ducky »

In order for exorphins to function as opioid peptides
in the central nervous system in vivo, they must
(1) be produced in the gastrointestinal tract,
(2) survive degradation by intestinal proteases,
(3) be absorbed, without degradation, into the bloodstream,
(4) cross the blood-brain barrier and thereby reach central opiate receptors, and
(5) interact as opiates with these receptors.

There is already a problem with stage 3:
The opioid food peptides have lengths of typically 4-8 amino acids. The body's own opioids are generally much longer.
Dietary proteins are, with very few exceptions, not absorbed. Rather, they must be digested into amino acids or di- and tripeptides first.
There is virtually no absorption of peptides longer than four amino acids. However, there is abundant absorption of di- and tripeptides in the small intestine.
http://www.vivo.colostate.edu/hbooks/pa ... acids.html
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Ducky wrote: I would like to see evidence that:
1. opioid peptides don't get denatured by heat
Opioid peptides are very short chains of amino acids.
Denaturation is about the unfolding of the 3-dimensional structure of proteins, not about changing the amino acid sequence.
Particularly large proteins have 3-dimensional structures, simply because they are so long.
Large proteins contain hundreds (to up to thousands) of linked amino acids.
opioid peptides survive the digesting process and keep their functionality
Yes.
That is the case because they are so short.
They are contained in large proteins that are split in smaller peptides by enzymes.
They are relatively resistant to the intestinal proteinases trypsin and
chymotrypsin.Zioudrou C et al
insulin and growth hormone have to be injected in the blood because taken orally they are digested thus have no effects.
Human insulin contains 51 amino acids, and a clearly 3-dimensional structure (partly due to the disulfide bonds).
Human growth hormone contains 191 amino acids.
There is virtually no absorption of peptides longer than four amino acids. However, there is abundant absorption of di- and tripeptides in the small intestine.
These 2 opioid peptides contain only four amino acids:
Ducky

Post by Ducky »

These 2 opioid peptides contain only four amino acids:
And do you know their name and what are they doing? Because not every opioid peptides have the same effects. Are they absorbed through the intestines?

The research on opioid peptides is very young and scarce and there are very few in vivo experiments on animals, let alone humans.

Just because it works in vitro it doesnt mean it works in vivo. That is a hasty generalization to make.