too much omega 9?

About specific vitamines, minerals or fiber, for example
Justin
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

too much omega 9?

Post by Justin »

Is it possible to consume too much oleic acid (omega 9). RRM u say we need the essential fats in a balanced ratio, well if one is consuming over 100g/ml of olive oil per day doesn't this distort the ratio? I'm consuming around 80g of omega 9, compared to around 10g of omega 6 and 6g omega 3. Is this balanced or does the balance only apply to omega 3 and 6 fats? Cheers.
art

Post by art »

thats a great question and since i'm taking up to maybe 10T's of olive a daY!
Also, what if you do not eat fish, where would be getting your omega 3's from?
Mark

Post by Mark »

ares wrote:Also, what if you do not eat fish, where would be getting your omega 3's from?
Fish oil and free range egg yolks.
By their fruits shall ye know them.
art

Post by art »

so taking a good quality fish oil supplement would be fine?
benzapp

Re: too much omega 9?

Post by benzapp »

Justin wrote:Is it possible to consume too much oleic acid (omega 9). RRM u say we need the essential fats in a balanced ratio, well if one is consuming over 100g/ml of olive oil per day doesn't this distort the ratio? I'm consuming around 80g of omega 9, compared to around 10g of omega 6 and 6g omega 3. Is this balanced or does the balance only apply to omega 3 and 6 fats? Cheers.
It can be very discouraging if you try to balance your diet every day according to some formula.
As someone who has been on this diet now for many years, I feel great and don't measure out these fatty acids.
Justin

Post by Justin »

There is scientific evidence that omega 6 - omega 3 ratios effects your health.
I don't balance fats in my diet, anyway it's impossible to balance a ratio of 80g omega 9 a day.
This diet is unusually high in omega 9 though, but yes i'd agree that it's difficult to consume too much of anything really.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Justin wrote:
theres scientific evidence that omega 6 - omega 3 ratios effects your health
Yes, you are right, but this applies to 'whole diets', and is not that relevant on a daily basis.
So, yes, this diet needs to supply you with the right amount of various fats.
This diet is unusually high in omega 9 though
Not really.
The omega-3 fats (LNA, EPA, DPA, DHA etc) combined need to comprise at least 1 to 1.5% of our daily fat intake,
and you also need AA and LA. (omega-6 fats).
And as (besides animal food) fruits also contain LNA, this diet supplies you with sufficient omega-3.
http://www.waiworld.com/waidiet/nut-omega3.html
Yes, olive oil contains (besides 11% palmitic acid) a lot (72%) of oleic acid (an omega-9), but it also contains 8% LA and 1% LNA,
which is exactly the right amount of everything.
art wrote:so taking a good quality fish oil supplement would be fine?
No, that may be too much omega-3, which readily oxidizes, creating radicals.
Oleic acid is less susceptible to oxidation because it has only one double bond.
Its the C unit in between 2 C units with double bonds that has the least energy invested in its bonds,
which makes it most susceptible to oxidation by radicals.
So that polyunsaturated fatty acids (particularly omega 3 such as DHA) are more susceptible to oxidation.