Physiological saline solution

About specific vitamines, minerals or fiber, for example
fictor
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Physiological saline solution

Post by fictor »

I am currently studying anatomy and physiology. While reading up before my exam, I found something that I wanted to ask you guys about.

According to the Wai-theory, ingesting salt causes acne due to change in the bodys osmolarity and retention of water in skin cells.

Now, this is what I read, that did not make sense to me:

"A solution of 9 grams of NaCl (table salt) in 1 liter og water i called a physiological saline solution. This solution is isometric, and does not cause changes in the volume of the cells"

If this is true, it would be ok to eat salt if you drank 1 liter of destilled water per 9 grams of salt, would it not?

Also, coconut water is said to be isometric, but I never read anywhere on the Wai-pages that coconut water can cause acne. Is there some difference between ions from fruits and ions from salt/high mineral water?
RRM
Administrator

Re: Physiological saline solution

Post by RRM »

fictor wrote: According to the Wai-theory, ingesting salt causes acne due to change in the bodys osmolarity and retention of water in skin cells.
No, not in the skin cells but in the fluids between those cells.
Too much salt/protein in this tissue fluid (interstitial fluid) distracts water from the lymphatics, blood and skin cells.
(actually, lymph is considered a part of the interstitial fluid.)

http://www.freeacnebook.com/01-10.htm#09
fictor

Post by fictor »

Ok, so it is not the skin cells themselves that are "swollen", but the interstitial fluid between them?

My question is still unanswered though; a physiological saline solution has does not cause a change in the bodys osmolarity, as it has the same osmolarity as tjhe interstitial fluids. Why would it the cause acne?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

fictor wrote:Ok, so it is not the skin cells themselves that are "swollen", but the interstitial fluid between them?
Exactly.
My question is still unanswered though
Because i thought it was now irrelevant.
a physiological saline solution has does not cause a change in the bodys osmolarity, as it has the same osmolarity as tjhe interstitial fluids.
No.
Edema is real because the osmolarity of the interstitial fluids is not fixed at all.
And if the levels in those fluids are lower, ingesting such a saline solution
might cause acne because it might cause a shift in water retention.
fictor

Post by fictor »

RRM wrote: Edema is real because the osmolarity of the interstitial fluids is not fixed at all.
Ah, I guess my book contains a simplified version of the truth :)

I looked it up on Wikipedia, and discovered that the composition, and thus osmolarity, of the interstitial fluid varies throughout the body. I was under the impression that it was somewhat constant.

Thanks RRM :)