What B12 supplement is most "Wai"?

About specific vitamines, minerals or fiber, for example
fictor
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

What B12 supplement is most "Wai"?

Post by fictor »

Hi guys!

I just got back my once-a-year blood test results, and B12 are a little lower than last year (and it was in the lower area of the reccomended value the last time), so my doctor strongly reccomends me to use a supplement. If it was any other vitamin, I would probably give it another year, trying to eat more red meat, but lack of B12 can cause ireversible nerve damage, so I think I better use a supplement.

I have found suppliers of synthetic "pure" B12 online. Most pills, capsules and liquids contains other ingredients, such as vegetable glycerine, stevia, preservatives etc. Many also contains other vitamins, minerals and other compounds that I do not lack and dont want take a supplement of.

What do you guys reccomend?

Have any of you used/are using B12 supplements?

Does anyone know a "clean" B12 supplement, og a good supplier of the pure chemical?

Will pure vit B12 cause acne or other side effects?

Any other thoughts?

Peace and love! :)
Oscar
Administrator

Re: What B12 supplement is most "Wai"?

Post by Oscar »

I'd recommend raw salmon or egg yolks, and less worrying ;)
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

How much animal food did you consume on a daily basis this past year?
fictor

Post by fictor »

Oscar wrote:I'd recommend raw salmon or egg yolks, and less worrying ;)
Hehe, I already eat both salmon and egg yolks, but ireversible nerve damage is one of the few things I find worth worrying about ;)
RRM wrote:How much animal food did you consume on a daily basis this past year?
I eat 6 egg yolks (the yolks in Norway are not as large as the ones in the nutrient calculator, the weigh about 13 grams each) or 60 grams of salmon, tuna, chicken or beef every day. I tried upping this to 70-75 grams, but I had an increase in acne formation, so I went back to 6 yolks/60 grams.

I found a supplement that is capsules (that can be emptied into a glass of water/juice) containing only vit B12 (methylcobalamin) and "hypoallergenic plant fiber" (cellulose?). I guess this should be pretty "clean" and not cause
any water retention or other nasty stuff? :)
Oscar
Administrator

Post by Oscar »

Have you tried increasing the amount spread over two meals (mornings and evenings)?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

fictor wrote:
RRM wrote:How much animal food did you consume on a daily basis this past year?
I eat 6 egg yolks (the yolks in Norway are not as large as the ones in the nutrient calculator, the weigh about 13 grams each) or 60 grams of salmon, tuna, chicken or beef every day. I tried upping this to 70-75 grams, but I had an increase in acne formation, so I went back to 6 yolks/60 grams.
Ouch, thats very little....
No wonder your B12 is low.
Did you also try upping the number of yolks only?
I found a supplement that is capsules (that can be emptied into a glass of water/juice) containing only vit B12 (methylcobalamin) and "hypoallergenic plant fiber" (cellulose?). I guess this should be pretty "clean" and not cause any water retention or other nasty stuff? :)
Thats seems perfect to me.
Kasper

Post by Kasper »

I just got back my once-a-year blood test results
What is the cost for such a test ? Do you check all vitamins, minerals ?
fictor

Post by fictor »

Oscar wrote:Have you tried increasing the amount spread over two meals (mornings and evenings)?
I did that for a period, but my skin became less clear than it is now. It might have been due to other factors, but it is hard to experiment when
my skin looks as good as it does now. I get compliments all the time, I get photo model jobs and have almost no acne (except the odd pimple and
a few tiny bumbs in my forheads). Maybe I could try eating fish for dinner (60-ish grams as I do now) and eat 2-3 yolks for lunch in the office?
RRM wrote: Ouch, thats very little....
No wonder your B12 is low.
Yes, it is quite little, but I am a small guy (only 175 cm tall and 65 kg.) and I manage to look quite muscular even with such a low protein intake.
RRM wrote: Did you also try upping the number of yolks only?
Is upping the number of yolks likely to be "easier" on my skin than upping the amount of fish/meat?
RRM wrote: Thats seems perfect to me.
Cool :) I think I will try this supplement first, and once I determine that it does not cause acne (I dont think it will), I can try experimenting
with slightly higher animal food intake, and maybe go off the supplement after I do the next test.
Kasper wrote: What is the cost for such a test ? Do you check all vitamins, minerals ?
Yes, I test for all vitamins and minerals, plus general indicators of disease. I think I pay something like 2-300 Norwegian kroner.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

fictor wrote:
Oscar wrote:Have you tried increasing the amount spread over two meals (mornings and evenings)?
Maybe I could try eating fish for dinner (60-ish grams as I do now) and eat 2-3 yolks for lunch in the office?
Yes, please try.
Is upping the number of yolks likely to be "easier" on my skin than upping the amount of fish/meat?
In my experience it is, yes.
Please let us know the results.
fictor

Post by fictor »

Thanks for the input guys!

I am waiting for the B12 to arrive in the mail. In the mean time I have increased the amount of fish from 60 to 65-70 grams and the amount of yolks from 6 to 7. Not a lot, I know, but I am getting a lot of photo jobs these days (almost every week), so I need to look good, not only get enough vit B12 ;)

I will keep you posted!
fictor

Post by fictor »

The supplement has arrived! The capsules each contains 1000 mcg of methylcobalamin. The instructions say to take 1-3 capsules a day, with meals. I take 3 a day, planning to do so until my next test. If my levels are where the doctor says they should be, I will take 1 capsule every day while trying to increase intake of animal foods. For now I eat 5-10 grams mor fish or one more egg yolk every day.

On a side note I also got back the results from my bone mineral scan. My calcium was a little low for my age, but witihin the refernce values. No surprises, in other words. My doctor said that I should avoid smoking (not a problem), take cod liver oil (I already do) and exercise (I already do). He also said that I can take a calcium supplement every now and then, but I dont need to take one on a regular basis. He suggested a new test in 5 years.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

fictor wrote: I also got back the results from my bone mineral scan. My calcium was a little low for my age
Compared to other people of your age drinking milk etc.
Thats actually a good thing.
In all countries where average bone mineral density is lowest, osteoporotic fracture rates are lowest too. (China, African countries)
In countries where they store a lot of calcium in the bones (US, Europe), their bones are weakest at old age.
He also said that I can take a calcium supplement every now and then
to store more calcium in your bones so that they age faster...
fictor

Post by fictor »

RRM wrote: Compared to other people of your age drinking milk etc.
Yep, so nu surprises there :)
RRM wrote: Thats actually a good thing.
In all countries where average bone mineral density is lowest, osteoporotic fracture rates are lowest too. (China, African countries)
In countries where they store a lot of calcium in the bones (US, Europe), their bones are weakest at old age.
He also said that I can take a calcium supplement every now and then
to store more calcium in your bones so that they age faster...
I have not avtually educated myself on this part of the Wai diet, because I am doing it mainly to beat acne, so I cant really say I agree nor disagree in this theory. Right now I am not taking any suplements except cod liver oil (which I have taken on and off ever since I started the Wai diet) and the B12.

So far I cant feel any effects of the B12 at all, so I might not even be deficient in the first place. No boost in acne activity since I slightly upped på animal food intake.