Anti-nutrients / toxins in plants

About specific vitamines, minerals or fiber, for example
djkvan
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Cyanogenic compounds in plant foods

Post by djkvan »

From: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 2297004251
Cyanogenesis by plants is not only a surprisingly effective chemical defence against casual herbivores, but it is also easily overcome by careful pre-ingestion food processing, this latter skill being almost exclusive to humans. Moreover, humans have the physiological ability to detoxify cyanide satisfactorily, given an adequate protein diet. It appears that early in the domestication of crop plants the cyanogenic species would have been relatively free of pests and competitive herbivores, as well as having good nutritional qualities, and thus ideal candidates for cultivation by the first farmers.
I do so like green eggs and ham. Thank you, thank you. Sam I am.
djkvan

Glucosinolates

Post by djkvan »

As per wiki:
Brassica vegetables contain high concentrations of glucosinolates that the plant enzyme myrosinase or intestinal microflora can hydrolyze into isothiocyanates which, in preliminary research, are potent inducers of cytoprotective enzymes and inhibitors of carcinogenesis in vitro.

Glucosinolates are well known for their toxic effects (mainly as goitrogens) in both humans and animals at high doses. In contrast, at subtoxic doses, their hydrolytic and metabolic products act as chemoprotective agents against chemically-induced carcinogens by blocking the initiation of tumors in a variety of rodent tissues, such as the liver, colon, mammary gland, pancreas, etc. They exhibit their effect by inducing Phase I and Phase II enzymes, inhibiting the enzyme activation, modifying the steroid hormone metabolism and protecting against oxidative damages.[6] In particular, the chemopreventive effects of the glucosinolates present in cruciferous vegetables are related to their activity as Histone deacetylase inhibitors.[7]
[edit]
djkvan

Caffeic acid

Post by djkvan »

As per wiki:
Caffeic acid has been shown to inhibit carcinogenesis, although other experiments show possible carcinogenic effects. It is also known as an antioxidant in vitro and also in vivo.[5] Caffeic acid also shows immunomodulatory and anti-inflammtory activity.

Oral administration of high doses of caffeic acid in rats has caused stomach papillomas, leading to the perception of caffeic acid as carcinogenic. In the same study, only high doses of combined antioxidants, including caffeic acid, showed a significant decrease in growth of colon tumors in those same rats. No significant effect was noted otherwise.[7]
Pick and choose, pick and choose. There's so much information out there, and if one study doesn't support your theories I'm sure it won't be long before you stumble upon another which does.
overkees

Re: Caffeic acid

Post by overkees »

True fact. But to get an optimal health get knowledge about the basic anabolic and catabolic systems and feed them with enough nutrients. Also ingest as little unneeded substances aka toxins. Occam's razor applies.

If intolerable to substances find good replacements.

Otherwise you could go searching on and on. That's why i believe evolution. Get rid of the useless crap and hold on to the good stuff. If something doesnt works it gets cuts away by the razor!
djkvan

Re: Caffeic acid

Post by djkvan »

overkees wrote:If something doesnt works it gets cuts away by the razor!
That's assuming that you are correctly perceiving what is truly not working. As there are so many things potentially going on in the body all at once what seems like one thing may be entirely unrelated to the thing that one speculates as the cause. Some reactions can take up to a couple of days to manifest and some are the result of a combination of substances in varying quantities. This is why so much scientific evidence is contradictory and speculative. One study says one thing, another the exact opposite. This diet eliminates virtually all problematic proteins which are invariably the cause of skin difficulties and health issues in susceptible individuals. Other diets like paleo/raw raleo/raw vegan/80-10-10 have the same successes for virtually identical reasons.