Xylitol for tooth health

About specific vitamines, minerals or fiber, for example
Kasper
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Xylitol for tooth health

Post by Kasper »

I've been studying xylithol for the last couple of days.
This is an intresting study regarding xylithol and candida:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21154745

This website show quite some amazing results regarding tooth health.
http://www.healingteethnaturally.com/ri ... -successes

It claims xylithol helps width:
- Periodontal disease/periodontitis/gingivitis:
- Caries and new tooth decay
- Dental plaque
- prevents acid production in dental plaque
- Tooth neck sensitivity
- tongue coating
-Breath (morning breath and bad breath in general)
- Formation of calculus (tartar)
- Inflammation following dental implant surgery
- inhibits and eventually destroys cariogenic Streptococcus mutans

Xylithol occurs naturally in fruit, but I think higher dosage are needed for many people to get such results.
There is even a chewing gum (Xilifresh) on the market which only uses xylithol as sweetener.
fred

Re: Xylithol for tooth health

Post by fred »

Thank you for the information. Very interesting.

I have done my first xylithol rinse and it hurts my tooth like pure sugar or honey. So I don't know what to think...
Kasper

Post by Kasper »

You're sure it's 100% xylithol? I use XyloSweet from XLEAR
It did hurt a little bit width me too, a couple of teeth were a little bit sensitive.
After two days, all my teeth feel fine, and they look more white and healthy than ever.

I get best results width 1 teaspoon of xylithol.
I let it dissolve in my saliva for a minute.
Than I brush it width a sonic toothbrush.
fred

Post by fred »

Yes it is 100% xylithol. It hurts less if I let it dissolve in my saliva on my tongue. I am gonna start with less than one teaspoon and increase slowly.
Is-it better to brush with the mixture or just rinse the tooth ?
Kasper

Post by Kasper »

From: http://www.healingteethnaturally.com/xy ... -or-powder
How long should I expose my mouth and teeth to xylitol?

There is no strict rule in this matter and even a minute appears to be very helpful. Longer times of xylitol exposure do tend to bring phantastic results however, such as teeth being smooth as porcelain, desensitization of previously sensitive tooth necks, plaque reduction etc. (A quick reminder here that rinsing your mouth with water afterwards will noticeably weaken the effectiveness of xylitol.)

What is the simplest way to treat my teeth with xylitol?
If money is no particular issue, then using xylitol drops and xylitol gel is probably the easiest (although really, the work involved in using "straight" xylitol sugar rather than drops or gel is hardly worth mentioning). If for social reasons, you can't find a moment to rinse your mouth with xylitol where you are (such as at your workplace), then of course xylitol candy is better.

Is it more effective to suck/rinse with xylitol or to brush one's teeth with it?
By using the xylitol-saturated saliva like toothpaste for brushing one's teeth, xylitol's tooth-cleaning effect is considerably increased.

After using xylitol, should I additionally use toothpaste?
That makes little sense.

Can I forget my toothpaste (or even toothbrush) and just use xylitol to prevent cavities and care for my mouth?
Yes, xylitol powder can indeed be sufficient by itself (that said, daily flossing is recommended to remove food particles stuck between the teeth).
A toothbrush only allows to reach a part of the entire surface of the teeth (in fact, according to the German Stiftung Warentest magazine, 40% of the total tooth surface is located between the teeth) and is hardly used to clean the gums or the tongue. But xylitol does reach and "wash" a large part of the oral cavity when you do a several-minute "rinse cycle", so it effectively inhibits the formation of cariogenic plaque throughout your mouth.
If you also discontinue using your toothbrush, however, you may occasionally see unsightly but harmless light brown coatings on your teeth. These are removed by using a toothbrush to brush the saliva-xylitol-mix thoroughly over your teeth. If you miss the peppermint flavour of normal toothpaste, simply add a drop of essential peppermint oil (use organic if at all possible) to your xylitol.

If I don't brush my teeth after eating sweets but simply pop half a teaspoon of xylitol, why would that work?
While it is correct that the table sugar continues to be in your mouth, surprisingly xylitol often works by itself, i.e. without even brushing your teeth (the main reason being its ability to inhibit certain enzymes, see Xylitol's three outstanding benefits). When there are sweets in your mouth, bacteria will indeed consume them. But when there is xylitol simultaneously present which the bacteria are unable to distinguish from normal sugar, upon ingestion many of them will be killed, thus diminishing the production of dangerous acids and hence the risk of tooth decay. Xylitol also strongly stimulates saliva production, which exerts an additional cleaning effect on your teeth, quite apart from another cleaning effect "X" xylitol obviously possesses as well but which so far has not been researched . As described under Xylitol's three outstanding benefits, upon ingestion of table sugar, it would be advisable to keep the xylitol concentration high in your mouth.3
Can I use xylitol immediately after a meal or should I wait 30 minutes before brushing my teeth (like with eating something sour, so as to avoid damaging the enamel)?
Actually, it's advantageous to use xylitol directly after a meal, for two reasons.

1. For one thing, xylitol strongly stimulates saliva production and flow, and components of (healthy) saliva stemming from the food ingested will neutralise any acids present and remineralise teeth whose surface has been slightly etched, and the earlier after the meal xylitol is taken, the more effective this will be (compare Tooth remineralisation & demineralisation, saliva & pH).
2. Xylitol inhibits the activity of acid-producing bacteria. It is generally correct that one should wait after eating acidic foodstuffs before brushing one's teeth, since the tooth surface will be slightly acid-softened in which case brushing one's teeth immediately would scrub off some of the enamel as well. While you wait the recommended timespan, components of the saliva are supposed to reharden the softened enamel surface.

This process however might be accelerated using xylitol. In this case, one should ideally start with a xylitol rinse only, and if possible and at hand, perhaps follow it up, 1 to 2 minutes later, with using the toothbrush to well distribute the saliva-cum-xylitol mix over one's teeth.

Can xylitol be used even with active tooth decay (large open carious lesions)?
Experiences made to date have shown that xylitol leads to a reduction in bacterial populations. In other words, as far as we know today, there are no bacteria whose growth is encouraged by feeding xylitol. The only observation re inflammation has been that these were reduced.

Should I brush my teeth only after 5 minutes of rinsing with xylitol or immediately?
In our experience, one thing is as good as the other.
fred

Re: Xylitol for tooth health

Post by fred »

Awesome Kasper!
Thank you so much.

I was wondering why I was oversalivating after a xylithol rinse. Now I know. That's a good thing!

What about adding some xilithol to our fruit juice ?
overkees

Post by overkees »

Xylitol to juices works perfect for conservating. The only down part of xylitol is that it works as a laxative in higher quantities. This occurs for most people if they consume more than 60 grams. 1 teaspoon contains about 5 grams, so it is perfect!

I am now using xylitol for 3 days and I must admit that it is really effective. My tongue is finally really pink and my mouth has no plaque buildup during the day, even if I consume lots of sugars. I'm adding this to my teeth regime. Coconut oil + xylithol + sonic toothbrushing = bye bye caries!
Kasper

Post by Kasper »

Coconut oil + xylithol + sonic toothbrushing = bye bye caries!
How do you clean the coconut oil from the toothbrush ? Do you use soap?
fred

Post by fred »

I thought of adding xylithol to juices to help clean the tooth. I didn't know it also helps to keep the juice, probably because it kills bacteria ?
I also have good success with xylithol even though I only use half a teaspoon (but my sensitivity seems to decrease) : my tooth are much more clean!
Anyone has tried baking soda ?
overkees wrote:Xylitol to juices works perfect for conservating. The only down part of xylitol is that it works as a laxative in higher quantities. This occurs for most people if they consume more than 60 grams. 1 teaspoon contains about 5 grams, so it is perfect!

I am now using xylitol for 3 days and I must admit that it is really effective. My tongue is finally really pink and my mouth has no plaque buildup during the day, even if I consume lots of sugars. I'm adding this to my teeth regime. Coconut oil + xylithol + sonic toothbrushing = bye bye caries!
dime

Post by dime »

I tried today the xylithol, seems promising, although it's kinda strange brushing with sugar :) My teeth didn't hurt when brushing with xylithol.
From what I read it works by "starving" the bacteria, because they can't metabolize this type of sugar.