Zinc uptake inhibited/increased by sugar?

About specific vitamines, minerals or fiber, for example
Mr. PC
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Zinc uptake inhibited/increased by sugar?

Post by Mr. PC »

Eating yolks with sugar will inhibit the zinc uptake, so if you need zinc I wouldn't recommend it.
RRM
Administrator

Re: Zinc uptake inhibited by sugar?

Post by RRM »

Mr PC, where did you get this info?
Mr. PC

Post by Mr. PC »

Hmmm, I thought I got it from the wait site, (I was having issues losing hair, and believed it may have been lack of Zinc) but now all I can find is this,

"Intestinal absorption of zinc was significantly stimulated by the addition of glucose"
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2912154

As well as you saying
"Not just processed sugar, ALL sugars, natural, unatural, simple and complex.
They dont deplete zinc; for the utilisation of sugars, zinc is required.
In as much as for the utilization of protein and fat also vitamins, minerals and trace elements are required, and in as much as energy is required for everything you do. Its not bad, its the consequence of being alive." here, viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1027
You may have said something similar to me elsewhere and I misinterpreted it.

But now I'm a little confused. The ncbi study seems to indicate that when zinc and sugar are consumed together, zinc absorption *increases*.
What you said in the quote is that sugar uses zinc to process (regardless of whether they are consumed together; having sugar at any time will use up your zinc stores, right?)

So maybe both are true, having sugar *with* zinc increases the body's absorption of zinc, however the body will always use some zinc to process sugar. In this case it would actually be a better idea to consume eggyolks inside the OJ, right?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Mr. PC wrote:both are true, having sugar *with* zinc increases the body's absorption of zinc, however the body will always use some zinc to process sugar.
Exactly.
In this case it would actually be a better idea to consume eggyolks inside the OJ, right?
Yes! :)