Salt

About specific vitamines, minerals or fiber, for example
bbmine
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Salt

Post by bbmine »

I saw this interesting video of this person that recommends orange juice in a lot of ways but says to consume with some salt, fat and protein....

check it out here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra_zuVqmGvk
He's a huge fan of fresh orange juice...
he recommends small amount of salt (Celtic) to create a sugary/salty drink.. Salt will down regulate adrenaline and cortisol, regulate aldoesterone levels so you dont lose potassium and up regulate progesterone... its very anti inflammatory . He recommends pulp free only orange juice, homemade strained is best. like you he recommends sipping it over time, small amounts, adding in fat with it helps too.
thoughts?
RRM
Administrator

Re: Salt in orange juice

Post by RRM »

A normal diet contains way too much salt.
With this diet, we don't eat much salt, as fruits are relatively low in salt.
So, yes, you could add some salt, if you want.
But if, for example, you eat dutch cured herring regularly, you defenitely dont need any extra salt.
Seafish may already contain quite some salt naturally.
Kasper

Post by Kasper »

Do you think it is healthy to eat normal table salt RRM ? (if you want to add salt to your diet)
I heard that it contains too much aluminium, and that sea salt is much healthier.
In addition, your table salt very often contains potentially dangerous preservatives. Calcium carbonate, magnesium carbonate, and aluminum hydroxide are often added to improve the ability of table salt to pour. Aluminum is a light alloy that deposits into your brain -- a potential cause of Alzheimer's disease.
Many researchers believe that sea salt, when dissolved in purified or clean water, is able to restructure water-forming clusters, while table salt does not have this ability.
http://www.normalbreathing.com/c/sea-sa ... e-salt.php
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... -myth.aspx
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Kasper wrote:Do you think it is healthy to eat normal table salt RRM ? (if you want to add salt to your diet)
I heard that it contains too much aluminium, and that sea salt is much healthier.
Sea salt may contain all kind of contaminants, depending on from what waters they obtained the salt.
We have polluted the sea, which will show in unrefined sea salt.
Sea salt will contain all kinds of residues, including bacteria and algal products,
and substantial amounts of calcium and magnesium salts (prior to purification).
I think its safest to look for the purest salt (most sodium chloride relative to other compounds)
, which is a refined salt (like normal table salt).
In addition, your table salt very often contains potentially dangerous preservatives. Calcium carbonate, magnesium carbonate, and aluminum hydroxide are often added to improve the ability of table salt to pour. Aluminum is a light alloy that deposits into your brain -- a potential cause of Alzheimer's disease.
What is added to salt, widely varies from country to country.
Aluminium is also naturally present in various foods (egg yolks, fruits), in trace amounts.
Aluminium is remarkably nontoxic and well tolerated by plants and animals.
Potential beneficial biological roles of aluminium compounds are unknown and still being investigated.
Wiki:
"According to the Alzheimer's Society, the medical and scientific opinion is that studies have not convincingly demonstrated a causal relationship between aluminium and Alzheimer's disease.[81] Nevertheless, some studies, such as those on the PAQUID cohort,[82] cite aluminium exposure as a risk factor for Alzheimer's disease. Some brain plaques have been found to contain increased levels of the metal.[83] Research in this area has been inconclusive; aluminium accumulation may be a consequence of the disease rather than a causal agent. In any event, if there is any toxicity of aluminium, it must be via a very specific mechanism, since total human exposure to the element in the form of naturally occurring clay in soil and dust is enormously large over a lifetime.[84][85] Scientific consensus does not yet exist about whether aluminium exposure could directly increase the risk of Alzheimer's disease".[81]
Sea salt and Himalayan salt naturally contain aluminium.
Unless consumed in excess (which may cause diahrrea), calcium carbonate and magnesium carbonate are not dangerous at all.
Many researchers believe that sea salt, when dissolved in purified or clean water, is able to restructure water-forming clusters, while table salt does not have this ability.
According to these researchers; what constituents in sea salt (over table salt) are responsible for these 'restructive' properties?
fred

Post by fred »

What about Himalayan salt : it is unrefined, contains more minerals than sea salts and no pollutants. ?
From Mercola link :

"Natural salt is 84 percent sodium chloride, and processed salt is 98 percent. So, what comprises the rest?

The remaining 16 percent of natural salt consists of other naturally occurring minerals, including trace minerals like silicon, phosphorous and vanadium. But the remaining two percent of processed salt is comprised of man-made chemicals, such as moisture absorbents, and a little added iodine.

You might be tempted to think "salt is salt," but even the structure of processed salt has been radically altered in the refining process. Refined salt is dried above 1,200 degrees Fahrenheit, and this excessive heat alone alters the natural chemical structure of the salt. What remains after ordinary table salt is chemically "cleaned" is sodium chloride,

The processed salt is not pure sodium chloride but is only 97.5 percent sodium chloride and anticaking and flow agents are added to compromise about 2.5 percent. These are dangerous chemicals like ferrocyanide and aluminosilicate. Some European countries, where water fluoridation is not practiced, also add fluoride to table salt. In France, 35 percent of table salt sold contains either sodium fluoride or potassium fluoride and use of fluoridated salt is widespread in South America."
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

fred wrote:What about Himalayan salt : it is unrefined, contains more minerals than sea salts and no pollutants. ?
No pollutants?
Are the Himalayans not a part of our ecosystem?
How much other minerals does it contain?
Any reliable data?
fred wrote:anticaking and flow agents are added to compromise about 2.5 percent. These are dangerous chemicals like ferrocyanide and aluminosilicate.
Any scientific evidence to back this up?
Aluminosilicate minerals are composed of aluminium, silicon and oxygen and a major component of clay minerals.
Ferrocyanide might color salt blue. You may mean potassium ferrocyanide.
fred

Post by fred »

RRM wrote: No pollutants?
Are the Himalayans not a part of our ecosystem?
How much other minerals does it contain?
Any reliable data?
It is a rock salt that is mined in south of Himalaya (Pakistan). It comes from ancient oceans that had never been exposed to modern pollution and that were covered up by mountains over millions of years.

Here is a chemical analyse : http://www.saltnews.com/chemical-analys ... pink-salt/

and a clinical research comparing effect of sea salt vs Himalayan salt : http://www.himalayancrystalsalt.com/cli ... earch.html
(other studies : http://pyramidvt.blogspot.fr/2011/04/sc ... layan.html)

So we have the choice between a natural salt not exposed to modern pollution and a refined salt heated at 1200 degrees Fahrenheit that contained various additives. Which one do you prefer?
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

No natural contaminants either?
Thats not possible. I will have to check the analysis first (when i have time).
fred wrote:anticaking and flow agents are added to compromise about 2.5 percent. These are dangerous chemicals like ferrocyanide and aluminosilicate.
Any evidence to back this up?
So we have the choice between a natural salt not exposed to modern pollution and a refined salt heated at 1200 degrees Fahrenheit that contained various additives.
Additive is not a synonym for 'harmful'.
There are harmful additives and harmless additives.
The question is: does table salt contain anything harmful?
Another question is: does the Himalayan salt contain anything harmful?
fred

Re: Salt

Post by fred »

Refined food, like table salt is more harmful by what it doesn't contain rather than by what it contains. Would you prefer to eat a heavily processed refined food that is lacking nutrients rather than a less processed whole food ?
Himalayan salt contain much less harmful substances than your orange juice, simply because of its location, away from modern pollutants.

As for additives : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt#Addit ... table_salt

You would not persist if you had compare the taste of table salt and unrefined salt!
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

fred wrote:Refined food, whether table salt, white sugar, etc. are more harmful by what they don't contain rather than by what they contain.
That depends.
If you already ingest all the nutrients that you need, additional nutrients are not beneficial.
Health is not just about ingesting all required nutrients, but also about ingesting as little harmful substances.
If Himalayan salt contains a specific ingredient that is more harmful than all additives in refined salt,
the refined salt may be more healthy for you.
So, before when can establish what salt is best, we need to find out about all the ingredients they contain.
Himalayan salt contain much less harmful substances than your orange juice, simply because of its location, away from modern pollutants.
Location is not everything.
There are many natural toxins (metals, metaloids), so we need to examine that before we can jump to that conclusion.
We need to research all listed possible additives to find out to what extend they are harmful.
We already know that calcium carbonate and magnesium carbonate are not harmful, for example.
You would not persist if you had compare the taste of table salt and unrefined salt!
Taste is not everything.
Many flavors are actually from Maillard products, that may produce a strong flavor even in minute quantities.
Highly toxic metals and metaloids may also tingle your taste buds.
fred

Post by fred »

RRM, unless you provide evidences that Himalayan salt contain harmful substances, I don't see how you could claim that table salt is better. Himalayan salt is not exposed to modern pollution, is not refined, has no additives, contains more minerals and tastes much better (actually table salt is simply inedible when one uses unrefined salt). (not to mentioned the scientific studies I mentioned and that you didn't look).
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

fred wrote:unless you provide evidences that Himalayan salt contain harmful substances, I don't see how you could claim that table salt is better.
That is true.
Thats is why i need to research the ingredients.
It may very well be better, or not.
fred wrote: (not to mentioned the scientific studies I mentioned and that you didn't look)
Searching for `Fenestra research labs´ in pubmed yields 0 studies.
There are no authors listed.
And if your read what they actually posted, it sounds like total bogus to me.
I will take a look at the studies listed at http://pyramidvt.blogspot.fr/2011/04/sc ... layan.html
as soon as possible.
Once i have researched about the ingredients in Himalayan salt,
and if it then appears that Himalayan salt contains no harmful compounds at all,
i might claim that it is the best salt. Though i also have to establish whether any of the additives in table salt is actually harmful.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

and a clinical research comparing effect of sea salt vs Himalayan salt : http://www.himalayancrystalsalt.com/cli ... earch.html
Please tell me, why are there no authors listed?
And why is there no study whatsoever published in PubMed from this "FENESTRA RESEARCH LABS"?
"For a complete summary of this medical study please refer to the book "Water&Salt - The Essence of Life."
Why is this study not available for public scrutiny?
The studies listed at the page of your last link:
http://pyramidvt.blogspot.fr/2011/04/sc ... layan.html
are about "halotherapy as a treatment for asthma, chronic bronchitis, a range of respiratory conditions and potentially against systemic diseases",
not about comparing table salt to himalayan salt...

Wiki: Salt therapy, halotherapy or speleotherapy is the use of salt mines, caves or other forms of exposure to salt air in the belief that this confers a health benefit.

Study 1 : "Halotherapy is recommended for use in patients suffering from chronic obstructive pulmonary diseases with hypertension or coronary heart disease"
Study 2 : "The specificity of this method is the low concentration and gradual administration of dry sodium chloride aerosol."
Study 3 : "using provocative tests with ultrasonic inhalations of purified water (UIPW) and hypertonic salt solution (HSS)."
Study 4 : "The material for the cytological examination was BL obtained by fibrobronchoscopy and IS obtained after 20-min halotherapy."
Study 5 : "Halotherapy was found effective in the treatment of acute purulent maxillary sinusitis without puncture."
etc
etc
etc...
fred

Post by fred »

RRM wrote: Please tell me, why are there no authors listed?
And why is there no study whatsoever published in PubMed from this "FENESTRA RESEARCH LABS"?
"For a complete summary of this medical study please refer to the book "Water&Salt - The Essence of Life."
Why is this study not available for public scrutiny?
Please ask them as you seem to be interested by their study.
The studies listed at the page of your last link:
http://pyramidvt.blogspot.fr/2011/04/sc ... layan.html
are about "halotherapy as a treatment for asthma, chronic bronchitis, a range of respiratory conditions and potentially against systemic diseases",
not about comparing table salt to himalayan salt...
That's why I put the link in brackets, just for information.

I am not particularly interested to convince you that Himalayan salt is healthier than table salt. It's so obvious to me...
Do your homework to prove me the opposite!
fred

Post by fred »