Saturated fat

About specific vitamines, minerals or fiber, for example
fred
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Saturated fat

Post by fred »

In this anti-saturated fat article : http://www.rush.edu/rumc/page-1160429788373.html
it is said :

"The high saturated fat meal hampered the ability of “good” cholesterol — high-density lipoprotein (HDL) — to do its job. That job is to protect the inner lining of the arteries from inflammatory agents that promote plaque, which clogs the vessels.

After three hours, the meal high in saturated fat had reduced the ability of the arteries to expand to increase blood flow. The polyunsaturated fat meal had no measurable effect.

The researchers also found that, when they sampled the study participants’ blood six hours after eating, the good (HDL) cholesterol’s anti-inflammatory properties had decreased after the saturated fat meal but improved after the polyunsaturated fat meal.

“In our studies, we found similar effects,” says Christy C. Tangney, PhD, an associate professor in the Department of Clinical Nutrition at Rush University and an expert on the effects of diet and nutrition on heart health. “We also found that high saturated fats affect how easily the blood itself flows — its viscosity. High saturated fat meals make the blood thicker and slower.

“Many groups have shown that there is a dramatic reduction in the relaxation capability of the arteries attributable to the ingestion of meals enriched in saturated fats,” Tangney continues. “This type of meal markedly elevates triglycerides, which affects the bloods capacity to flow.

In my experience, a high fat diet (with a lot of saturated fat) :
Increases my pulse and makes my heart beats strong (increased blood viscosity)
Elevates my triglycerides and cholesterol a lot

Maybe I should avoid saturated fat and stick to unsaturated fat (olive oil).
What do you think?
fred

Re: Avoiding saturated fat

Post by fred »

An interesting article about fat and blood viscosity : http://donmatesz.blogspot.fr/2011/05/me ... -fats.html
dime

Re: Saturated fat

Post by dime »

It's obvious that saturated fats would make the blood thicker and slower, as they are more solid at same temperature than unsaturated fats.
Also there may be difference to how much it affects the blood viscosity depending on your body temperature? E.g. mine is 0.5-1 degree lower than what's considered normal, so I assume saturated fat would have greater effect on viscosity than for someone with higher body temperature. How's your temperature fred?

Last year around October I had sky high cholesterol levels, but normal triglycerides.
I suspect it may have a lot to do with my diet, which was mostly saturated, some monounsaturated, and negligible amounts of unsaturated fat (no fish or vegetable oils etc, most unsaturated fat was the little that there is in egg yolks). I ate that way for half a year or so.

Since overkees is trying to avoid PUFA (though I don't know how long), I'm wondering what his cholesterol levels are.
dime

Post by dime »

fred wrote:An interesting article about fat and blood viscosity : http://donmatesz.blogspot.fr/2011/05/me ... -fats.html
Just read the article, it doesn't seem absolutely correct, especially when you continue reading through the comments.
The melting point of triglyceride is irrelevant in the blood. The quantity may play a role, but not the viscosity. Why, because they are not free, they are emulsified and captured in lipo-protein balls (LpA, LDL, HDL, VLDL, chylomicron). The size of these balls has an impact on viscosity but not their content, they are isolated.
It's like rubber balls in water, the quantity and the size of the balls plays a role, but not their content.

On the other hand, glucose has a direct, straight forward impact on viscosity.
In short, just like with sugar, it's best to eat fat in small meals too.
I think your pulse will go up when you eat a lot of fat, no matter what fat it is? Or did you notice difference between different fats?
overkees

Post by overkees »

Has it ever occured to you people that if you eat alot more saturated fat compared to unsaturated there will be a release of unsaturated fats from the tissues. This gives a huge stress impact on the body that most people seem to forget.

And besides, what is bad about high cholesterol? I can't understand why are you people still worried about cholesterol? You should be more concerned over stress and oxidized cholesterol than about cholesterol.

Oh yeah, and sugar, of all substances, seems to have a very big impact on cholesterol. So please look at that too, instead of blaming saturated fatty acids. There is so much difference in effects of saturated fatty acids that it is way to generalizing in general.
dime

Post by dime »

overkees wrote:Has it ever occured to you people that if you eat alot more saturated fat compared to unsaturated there will be a release of unsaturated fats from the tissues. This gives a huge stress impact on the body that most people seem to forget.
Not sure what do you mean.. unsaturated fat will be released from tissues if I eat saturated??
overkees wrote:And besides, what is bad about high cholesterol? I can't understand why are you people still worried about cholesterol? You should be more concerned over stress and oxidized cholesterol than about cholesterol.
There are various problems associated, and I'm not inclined to test on myself if they are true or not.
fred

Post by fred »

dime wrote: In short, just like with sugar, it's best to eat fat in small meals too.
I think your pulse will go up when you eat a lot of fat, no matter what fat it is? Or did you notice difference between different fats?
I'll try to see if there is a difference.
fred

Post by fred »

dime wrote:It's obvious that saturated fats would make the blood thicker and slower, as they are more solid at same temperature than unsaturated fats.
I would have been happy to know this evidence a few years ago...
I asked many so called experts, look for any answer on internet but NOBODY talked to me about blood viscosity.
Also there may be difference to how much it affects the blood viscosity depending on your body temperature? E.g. mine is 0.5-1 degree lower than what's considered normal, so I assume saturated fat would have greater effect on viscosity than for someone with higher body temperature. How's your temperature fred?
I don't know but I believe CP should play a role here.
Last year around October I had sky high cholesterol levels, but normal triglycerides.
I suspect it may have a lot to do with my diet, which was mostly saturated, some monounsaturated, and negligible amounts of unsaturated fat (no fish or vegetable oils etc, most unsaturated fat was the little that there is in egg yolks). I ate that way for half a year or so.

Since overkees is trying to avoid PUFA (though I don't know how long), I'm wondering what his cholesterol levels are.
I ate a high saturated fat and protein (raw) diet during one year and ended up with hyperlipidemia and high cholesterol.
dime

Post by dime »

fred wrote: I ate a high saturated fat and protein (raw) diet during one year and ended up with hyperlipidemia and high cholesterol.
Similar, but I wasn't raw (except for the egg yolks).
Anyway, now I've been a few months on the wai diet with olive oil as major fat source. I'll do blood work soon and share the results.