wai diet low in zinc?

About specific vitamines, minerals or fiber, for example
Justin
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

wai diet low in zinc?

Post by Justin »

RRM would you agree that this diet is quite low in zinc? Even eating around 12 egg yolks a day i'm struggling to get above 5mg zinc per day, and the recommended daily value is somewhere near 15mg. I know your going to say that most people are consuming substances that reduce zinc absorption, but still 5mg seems too little.
Our ancestors obviously ate much more red meat, wild game meat, full of zinc. Red meat does seem essential, raw read meat is a problem though.
I've been doing this diet for almost a year now, 100% strict, it's great, i ingest enough calories and nutrients generally. But zinc does seem to be a problem with this diet. I don't think i can eat any more egg yolks than i do, i eat fish most days aswell, mackerel / salmon (150g). what do you think about this diet and zinc? do you eat ox heart/beef for iron and zinc? oysters contain lots of zinc, maybe i should eat them? thanks
RRM
Administrator

Re: wai diet low in zinc?

Post by RRM »

No, this diet is not low in zinc.

Zinc
2145 mcg in 50 grams of beef (muscles only)
1890 mcg in 3 egg yolks
1400 mcg in 1 handful of Brazil nuts
1080 mcg in 1 handful of walnuts
700 mcg in 1 avocado
650 mcg in 1 handful of hazelnuts
580 mcg in 2 dates
410 mcg in 50 grams of tuna (skipjack)
400 mcg in 50 grams of salmon
393 mcg in 50 grams of coconut
315 mcg in 50 grams of mackerel (atlantic)
300 mcg in 50 grams of tuna (bluefin)
240 mcg in 1 banana
210 mcg in 500 ml of orange juice
140 mcg in 1 orange

The recommendations keep rising and rising. You should take a look at old recommendations. It used to be between 5 and 10 mg.
Then you need to keep in mind that the body readily adjusts the absorption rate multiple-fold. This means that there is no way you will lack zinc.

What is it that people tend to think that more is better?
Zinc is a metal, with pro-oxidative properties.
The body is a system of balances? (too much of any metal is very bad for you)

Our ancestors obviously ate much more red meat, wild game meat, full of zinc.
Over 1 million years ago, maybe we were not such good hunters as many predators are.
Even if they did eat a lot of meat, the absorption rate is adjusted according to our needs...
oysters contain lots of zinc, maybe i should eat them?
Oysters may contain extremely much zinc, with possible adverse effects.
Nature isnt stupid. Our body is a flawless design; if only we could treat it that way and wouldnt burden it so much.
Justin

Post by Justin »

i guess what i'm asking is, why do you feel the need to eat raw beef and raw ox heart (both very good sources of zinc and iron)
if fish, egg yolks and fruits supply all the nutrients we need?
i would also like to add some raw red meat into my diet.
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Justin wrote:i guess what i'm asking is, why do you feel the need to eat raw beef and raw ox heart (both very good sources of zinc and iron) if fish, egg yolks and fruits supply all the nutrients we need?
Our food preferences are not guided by our nutrient requirements only. Actually, I really like the taste of raw beef or veal.

i would also like to add some raw red meat into my diet
Raw ox heart is quite safe.
Bambi726

Post by Bambi726 »

I've read that you can usually tell if meat has been irradiated or not by it's coloring - if it is a bright red, then it has very likely been irradiated. Non-irradiated meat begins turning brown or a very dark red color soon after it is exposed to air. Though there are many sites that say you can't tell from looking at it, so I'm not sure if that's accurate or not. It's also been found by some that irradiated meat has a slight smell and taste of "singed hair"...yum! :evil: What the hell is (are) our government(s) thinking? Oh, yeah...whatever corporations want them to think. Greedy Sissypants...

~Amber
CurlyGirl

Post by CurlyGirl »

Bambi726 wrote:What the hell is (are) our government(s) thinking? Oh, yeah...whatever corporations want them to think. Greedy Sissypants...
You are starting to sound like me, Amber! I want to buy copies of The Corporation and distribute them to all my friends (and strangers on the street too). Anyone heard of the Yes Men?
leofruit

Zinc in this diet

Post by leofruit »

Before making a full transition to this diet i naturally have to be sure of what i'm doing.
I made a list of the recommended daily intake of vitamines, and the wai food providing them for significant percentages; what i noticed is that zinc (among others) is especially difficult to obtain in the recommended quantities.
Zinc: recommended daily intake is 11mg, which is provided for the most (8% for 6 nuts) with brasil nuts, 8% with 28 grams of beef (which is good in this case, but is related to the other doubt). The problem is nuts are very expensive, and other foods doesn't seem to provide large quantities of zinc.

<EDIT by RRM>This post has been extracted from this original post</EDIT by RRM>
RRM
Administrator

Re: Zinc in this diet

Post by RRM »

leofruit wrote:Zinc: recommended daily intake is 11mg
If you dont want to consume (much) raw fish / meat; by consuming 10 egg yolks plus fruit juices, a handfull of Brazil nuts and a handfull of walnuts, for example, you may consume 11 mg zinc.
Aytundra

Zinc requirements

Post by Aytundra »

RRM wrote:The recommendations keep rising and rising. You should take a look at old recommendations. It used to be between 5 and 10 mg.
Then you need to keep in mind that the body readily adjusts the absorption rate multiple-fold. This means that there is no way you will lack zinc.
Zinc is a metal, with pro-oxidative properties.
The body is a system of balances? (too much of any metal is very bad for you)
True.
Zinc
10 mg Zinc/ day Male 13 - 15 years old
12 mg Zinc / day Male 16 - 18 years old
10 mg Zinc / day Male 19 - 35 years old
(Source: Berry G.S. & Gopaul H.S. (1982). Biology of Ourselves:"Table 15.6 Recommended daily nutrient intake. Nutrient of Some Common Foods, Department of Health and Welfare Canada. Revised 1975. Health and Welfare Canada." on pg.368. John Wiley & Sons Canada Limited. ISBN 0-471-79898-3.)

8 mg Zinc / day Male 9 - 13 years old
11 mg Zinc / day Male 14 - 18 years old
11 mg Zinc / day Male 19 - 30 years old
11 mg Zinc / day Male 31 - 50 years old
11 mg Zinc / day Male 51 - 70 years old
11 mg Zinc / day Male >70 years old
(Source: Thompson J., Manore M., and Sheeshka J. (2007). Nutrition: a functional approach:"Dietary Reference Intakes: RDA, AI. Adapted from the Dietary Reference Intakes series, National Academies Press; see http://www.nap.edu. on pg. H-4. Pearson Education Canada. ISBN 0-321-25294-2.)
------

15 mg Zinc / day FDA Men 11 - 14 years old
15 mg Zinc / day FDA Men 15 - 28 years old
15 mg Zinc / day FDA Men 19 - 24 years old
15 mg Zinc / day FDA Men 25 - 50 years old
15 mg Zinc / day FDA Men > 50 years old
(Source: Wai Calculator (2000-2011). "FDA, data" on website's calculator. Artists Cooperative Groove Union U.A.. Retrieved from the URL: http://www.waiworld.com/waidiet/nut-calculator.html)

5 mg Zinc / day JSNFS Male 1 - 2 years old
6 mg Zinc / day JSNFS Male 3 - 5 years old
6 mg Zinc / day JSNFS Male 6 - 8 years old
7 mg Zinc / day JSNFS Male 9 - 11 years old
8 mg Zinc / day JSNFS Male 12 - 14 years old
10 mg Zinc / day JSNFS Male 15 - 17 years old
11 mg Zinc / day JSNFS Male 18 - 29 years old
12 mg Zinc / day JSNFS Male 30 - 49 years old
11 mg Zinc / day JSNFS Male 50 - 69 years old
10 mg Zinc / day JSNFS Male 70 + years old
(Source: Wai Calculator (2000-2011). "JSNFS, data" on website's calculator. Artists Cooperative Groove Union U.A.. Retrieved from the URL: http://www.waiworld.com/waidiet/nut-calculator.html)
Novidez wrote: (I got Zinc, Zn.......................................10.36280mg .........15.00mg on my last day, for example. What do you think?)
If you lived in Canada in 1975 you look okay for Zinc.
If you lived in Canada in 2007 you might be 0.6372 mg short for that day.
If you lived in USA with Wai's Calculator of 2000-2011 FDA data, you might be 5 mg short for that day.
If you lived in Japan with Wai's Calculatro of 2000-2011 JSNFS data, you might be 0.6372 mg short for the day.

{Novidez, it depends on which country and year you live in. Have you consider building a time machine and owning an airplane to ensure you meet different RDAs?}

<<< I feel this post should move to a Zinc Thread or Novidez's Journey Thread >>>
A tundra where will we be without trees? Thannnks!