Vitamin supplements and Linus Pauling

About specific vitamines, minerals or fiber, for example
Seth
https://cutt.ly/meble-kuchenne-wroclaw

Vitamin supplements and Linus Pauling

Post by Seth »

After having read about Wai's essay regarding vitamin supplementation, I began to wonder if she had read any of Dr. Linus Pauling's own research (i.e. http://members.aol.com/realmedia/pauling.html) regarding the subject. Obviously, overdoing anything is deleterious. I was under the impression, however, that if taken in moderate amounts, vitamins are beneficial.

I would be interested in any comments on the subject. I have read one of Pauling's books and found his reseach rather compelling. I would hardly believe someone who won a Noble Prize in Chemistry to be a quack.

Seth
RRM
Administrator

Re: Vitamin supplements and Linus Pauling

Post by RRM »

Seth wrote:After having read about Wai's essay regarding vitamin supplementation, I began to wonder if she had read any of Dr. Linus Pauling's own research
Yes, she has.
The works of Pauling are very well known.
I was under the impression, however, that if taken in moderate amounts, vitamins are beneficial.
There is no doubt that you need vitamins, and that moderation is the right approach.
The question is: who knows best how much vitamins your body needs?
Answer: your body.
If it has had enough of a certain vitamin, the absorption rate is lowered. If it needs more, it will increase the absorption rate. As absorption rates are known to be relatively low in general, we dont lack vitamins. Forcing your body to take up more by taking supplements may therefore be not a good idea.
Your body knows better than Pauling.
Seth

Post by Seth »

Agreed: the body does know better than anyone else and physiologically everyone has their differences. What I wonder is just how the body's need for more of a particular vitamin manifests itself (at least before an illness sets in due to a deficiency). Are all the signs of a lack in vitamin A or any other vitamin universal?

I am not being argumentative, but I am truly curious because so often we don't really listen to what our bodies are telling us in the first place. :)

Seth
johndela1

Post by johndela1 »

Hey Seth,

I used to take a ton of Vitamin C (Pauling's research made a lot of sense to me). If you think about it this diet has more vitamin C than average. If you want to get a lot of C, following a diet high in fruit is a really good way to do it without taking suppliments.

by the way, where do you live in LA? I live near the 405 and 22 (in Orange County)
Seth

Pauling

Post by Seth »

Hello John,

Thanks for the response. I, too, found a lot of logic in Pauling's research although some have gone so far as to call him nothing more than a quack.

I suppose it is possible that the early human diets were different enough and have changed so dramatically that our current eating trends may find more of a need for supplementation.

Do you still take any Vitamin C or is it received solely from the fruits? I have only recently (as of two days ago) started this diet, so if I can do without supplements, I would prefer it. It is cheaper and one less thing I need to do. :)

I am in graduate school in Claremont. (CGU) Pursuing a Ph.D. in Musicology.

Orange county is quite close. I am often in Fullerton at Steamers Jazz Cafe.

Sincerely,
Seth
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Seth wrote:just how the body's need for more of a particular vitamin manifests itself
It simply increases the absorption rate and increases your appetite for foods containing it.
Are all the signs of a lack in vitamin A or any other vitamin universal?
Yes.
I suppose it is possible that the early human diets were different enough and have changed so dramatically that our current eating trends may find more of a need for supplementation.
Sure, if you eat hamburgers only, you WILL need supplementation.
But, if you eat natural foods too, the body has shown to be very effective in adapting its absorption rate accordingly.
If we would not ingest enough vitamin C, for example, why would the body decrease the absorption rate when we eat more foods containing vitamin C?

Im pretty sure my vitamin C absorption rate is extremely low at the moment, as im drinking loads of orange juice...
Purpose? It protects me against elevated free iron levels, for example.
johndela1

Re: Pauling

Post by johndela1 »

Seth wrote:
Do you still take any Vitamin C or is it received solely from the fruits? I have only recently (as of two days ago) started this diet, so if I can do without supplements, I would prefer it. It is cheaper and one less thing I need to do. :)

I am in graduate school in Claremont. (CGU) Pursuing a Ph.D. in Musicology.

Orange county is quite close. I am often in Fullerton at Steamers Jazz Cafe.

Sincerely,
Seth
I get my vitamin C from fruits now.

ps. I am into music, too... I am playing Oct 14 at 7pm at the Zephyr cafe in long each (340 east 4th street)

I do acoustic delta blues. Do you play music?
Seth

Post by Seth »

johndela1 wrote:I get my vitamin C from fruits now.

ps. I am into music, too... I am playing Oct 14 at 7pm at the Zephyr cafe in long each (340 east 4th street)

I do acoustic delta blues. Do you play music?
My only concern is that I had been taking a good amount of Vitamin C a day (10g) in a powder. Would you think it makes most sense to ween oneself off instead of stopping immediately?

Zephyr cafe in Long Beach or LA? I am already playing that night in Claremont. Let me know when the next one is. If I am free, I will make it out. Jazz is my forte, although I am quite proficient at other styles.

Speaking of delta blues, I went to Little Pedros the other night. I can't think of her name, but there is a fairly well known veteran blues singer there on Monday nights who is remarkable.

Seth
RRM
Administrator

Post by RRM »

Seth wrote:My only concern is that I had been taking a good amount of Vitamin C a day (10g) in a powder. Would you think it makes most sense to ween oneself off instead of stopping immediately?
It doesnt really matter. Even if your body would take up only 1% of that vitamin C, it would still take a long time before you would experience a lack of vitamin C. So that the body has plenty of time to adjust its absorption rate.
rafaelo

Post by rafaelo »

i used to take those megaman gnc vitamins. they made me break out. i never took vitamins after that. not even centrum